Sig Sauer Mosquito Sport 22LR Thoughts - Trust the TGO

Snaveba

I am looking at getting a 22LR pistol to introduce / teach my daughter about handguns (also for plinking as ammo is too expensive at the moment).

My local FFL has a used Sig Mosquito Sport for sale. I like the feel holding it and I like Sig pistols. 

Does anyone out there have experience with this particular handgun? 

Also, what are thoughts on it's retail value?

Thanks, 

Briggs.

Sig Sauer Mosquito Sport 22LR Thoughts

Edited by Snaveba
  • Admin Team

They weren’t terribly well reviewed.

As I recall, the slides were cast aluminum/zinc “pot metal” in sort of standard GSG style.

They weren’t reliable - And were frankly just downright frustrating. A lot of us had high hopes for them, but they were pretty much junk.

To my knowledge they’ve been discontinued for a bunch of years. 

I’d pass. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

If the Sig appeals to you because of the size - they other competitor in that size at that price point is the Walther P22.

The first generation of those pistols suffered from similar issues - but I hear the newer ones have addressed the issues pretty well.

Personally, for .22LR pistols, I’m pretty far down the rabbit hole with customized Ruger Mark series pistols. When I introduce someone to shooting and bring out all my .22LR pistols - they almost always end up purchasing a Ruger for themselves.

That said, were I looking for an off the shelf .22LR pistol that would be okay in small hands, I’d probably go with an M&P22 compact.  With that, you’re picking up a full 6061 milled slide with the same ergonomics as its big brothers in the series.

No .22LR pistol is 100% trust your life to it reliable - that’s just a function of the round. But the M&P is probably the most reliable in the class. 

• Like 2

It's been a few years back for me, but I acquired a Mosquito at a gun show. Sub 200 and was practically new. I found it to be very much a long term problem. 

FTF at least 2/3 times a mag.  I stripped and cleaned it as best I could. No joy. Changed mags by buying a couple new ones. Same problem.

I liked the look and feel of the pistol, but gave me too many problems. 

Sold it to young man at the next gun show I went to. Told him it was a headache, but he took it anyway.

Granted that's been 6/7 years ago. They may have gotten better by now.

Like Moped said...try the TX22. Or the Keltec P17 if you can find one.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

If the Sig appeals to you because of the size - they other competitor in that size at that price point is the Walther P22.

The first generation of those pistols suffered from similar issues - but I hear the newer ones have addressed the issues pretty well.

Personally, for .22LR pistols, I’m pretty far down the rabbit hole with customized Ruger Mark series pistols. When I introduce someone to shooting and bring out all my .22LR pistols - they almost always end up purchasing a Ruger for themselves.

That said, were I looking for an off the shelf .22LR pistol that would be okay in small hands, I’d probably go with an M&P22 compact.  With that, you’re picking up a full 6061 milled slide with the same ergonomics as its big brothers in the series.

No .22LR pistol is 100% trust your life to it reliable - that’s just a function of the round. But the M&P is probably the most reliable in the class. 

All of the above!

I'm a big 22 fan, especially the pistols. Have several Ruger 22/45s, a very nice MKIII Hunter, an M&P 22, and aG22 frame with an AA kit on it. But for the stupid AA mags, it would be my absolute favorite. They are second only to the Sig/ATI mags for being a pain to load.

For reliability the G22/AA has been the best. Closely followed by the Ruger 22/45 and the M&P.

For just plain fun, and for teaching/learning, I don't think you can beat a good 22.

And the key to a good 22 is finding the ammo it shoots best with. That can be a chore, especially nowadays.

• Moderators

I will have to throw out if you don't mind a striker fired pistol the Glock 44 is a great shooter if you use CCI Stinger ammo or other quality ammo. I bought one just to play with and my wife took it. She's probably put 3000 rounds through it and loves it. 

Thanks for the replies and info.  After making my post (shortly after leaving the store) I also read a bunch of negative reviews. I have handled the M&P and liked it also.  I have 3 M&P pistols.  I am on a Sig and Beretta kick at the moment which is why the Mosquito jumped out a me in the store. Looked good and felt good.  But Looks and Feel don't make it shoot. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

I will have to throw out if you don't mind a striker fired pistol the Glock 44 is a great shooter if you use CCI Stinger ammo or other quality ammo. I bought one just to play with and my wife took it. She's probably put 3000 rounds through it and loves it. 

I have no issue with striker fired pistols.  For some reason (not to start any kind of debate 🙂 ) , I just don't like Glock pistols.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I have no issue with striker fired pistols.  For some reason (not to start any kind of debate 🙂 ) , I just don't like Glock pistols.  

No debate from me. I love Glocks (and many many other brands lol). But that's the reason there are so many makes and models, everybody can find what they like. 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Thanks 1

Sigs name should have never been on that abomination. Just like the Walther/Umarex relationship that hooked a huge Walther fan like myself it left a bad taste in my mouth. It was a crap shoot to find a good one that didn't have some sort of issue. The last 22 Sig had its name on that was worth a damn was the Trailside which was/is a Hammerli.

I'm a Ruger MK fan but have also heard good reports about the M&P 22 compact. And as someone else stated the old revolver is always a great beginner. 

• Like 2

Yes, 22 revolvers are great. I've kept a couple of Dad's and have added a few to my small pile. Sadly, a 617 has eluded me. I just was never willing to pay the prices they seem to command.

Fujmo, I had a Trailside pass thru my hands in the early 2000s. I really didn't grasp what it was at the time. Took it to several local gun shows(Remember them? lol) before selling it for around 300, iirc. The buyer was pretty happy as he walked away. lol 

I have a Sig Mosquito and it runs good after I learned how to use it. It came with 2 different sets of springs. After I put the right spring in it it has run without any problem. If I understood it correctly one of the springs was for low powered ammo(shorts) and one for full power (Stinger) type ammo. Wont run with the wrong spring ammo combo. 

Like I said the one I have has run for 12 years and I have used it numerous times to show new shooters the difference in Pistols and Revolvers, and how both operate. I also have a S W 8 shot mdl 317 air lite revolver that I use for the same purpose. I will say a lot of people have said they had problems with the Mosquito. Makes me wonder if they had the spring and ammo wrong.  Like I said the one I have is still running fine. I use it to practice with, all the time, to save heavier caliber ammo and to get in some trigger time. Today 500 rounds of 22 cost around 50.00 + and 500  rounds of 9 MM practice ammo is around 500.00, if you can find it. Makes sense to me. 

I will say since so many people have had much problems I would go another way, if I were buying a new one today. There is not much resale value in the Mosquitos. 

I bought my wife one for one of her first guns, and I felt really bad about it afterwards, it is really junk. Doesn't matter what spring is in it, we have done that dance many times. The only two rounds that will cycle in it(somewhat) are cci mini-mags and golden bullets. I felt so bad I went out and got her the M&P22 and that thing runs like a sewing machine, I have the victory and it runs everything I have thrown in it as well.

Pop pop you are one lucky person, you are the only one I have heard say anything good about the mosquito, it's a shame too as I really wanted to like it.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Moped said:

Check out the Taurus TX22! They get rave reviews! And they come with 16 round mags. Made in the USA too!

I can attest that this little pistol is great and it runs great. You can't stop it if you tried. Shot several hundred rounds through it in one day and never had a failure. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JunkiCosmonaut said:

I can attest that this little pistol is great and it runs great. You can't stop it if you tried. Shot several hundred rounds through it in one day and never had a failure. 

It’s on my To Buy List!

• Like 1

If you are passing on the Mosquito you might want to look at the Ruger SR22. I have recommended to numerous people as a first pistol and not one has regretted buying it. I think at last count I have directly or indirectly influenced 7 people to buy one. Most bought the standard barrel but a few bought the long barrel version. I have the standard model. 

My favorite semi-auto .22 is the Browning Buckmark. Absolutely wonderful pistol and target accurate. It comes in many versions to fit most anybody. You didn't mention your daughter's age. If she's young, the Buckmark, Rugers or other similar guns may be too big for her hands. 

If you can find one, the S&W Models 34/63 J-frame .22s are ideal for young shooters to start on. Plus they're top quality and very accurate. Start her out shooting SA and then shift to DA when she's ready. 

• Like 5

I have several 22LR pistols.  My favorite to shoot is the Taurus TX22 which even beats my tricked-out S&W Victory.  I used the TX22 to teach my daughter-in-law how to shoot for the first time and ended up buying her one for her birthday.  Filling it up Aguila (hollow-point) Interceptors makes for a decent self defense gun for those that are recoil sensitive. 

• Like 1
On 12/20/2020 at 10:47 AM, hipower said:

Yes, 22 revolvers are great. I've kept a couple of Dad's and have added a few to my small pile. Sadly, a 617 has eluded me. I just was never willing to pay the prices they seem to command.

Fujmo, I had a Trailside pass thru my hands in the early 2000s. I really didn't grasp what it was at the time. Took it to several local gun shows(Remember them? lol) before selling it for around 300, iirc. The buyer was pretty happy as he walked away. lol 

Did you not like the Trailside? Mine are ridiculously accurate 

12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

My favorite semi-auto .22 is the Browning Buckmark. Absolutely wonderful pistol and target accurate. It comes in many versions to fit most anybody. You didn't mention your daughter's age. If she's young, the Buckmark, Rugers or other similar guns may be too big for her hands. 

If you can find one, the S&W Models 34/63 J-frame .22s are ideal for young shooters to start on. Plus they're top quality and very accurate. Start her out shooting SA and then shift to DA when she's ready. 

I have one I bought a long time ago. I love it. super accurate, I’ve shot a brick through mine at one sitting more than once with my stepson back when a brick costs 8 bucks at walmart and it was still shooting. A Buckmark and a red dot makes for some fun days at the range!

• Like 3