Sig Sauer Mosquito Sport 22LR Thoughts - Trust the TGO

Snaveba

My son had the GSG version of the mosquito and it matched the comments here. He sold it and earlier this spring bought the sig version. He said the ones made after a certain date were improved in some way and bought one of those. We shot a couple of boxes threw it and I think it had 1 FTF out of the 100 plus rounds we shot that day. I had no intention of buying one so didnt pay much attention to the date thing. I use a 1960's High Standard Light weight That I made an aluminum sleeved barrel for and it literally has rifle like accuracy off a bench. I had tuned a few Buck mark triggers years ago and have to say, that would be my choice if you like the traditional auto pistol. One time, I got a Buckmark silhouette for a guy and new, it had a barrel with rough rifling in it. I sent it to Browning and a week latter it came back with a perfect bore'ed barrel and a free extra mag.  For you plastic frame guys, dont get to close to the camp fire! 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another thought given this is for introducing the sport to your baby. Since you’re a sig and Beretta fan, you may have a model that they offer a 22 conversion for.  
I’ve got 22 uppers for my 92, 229, and 1911. Even one for a Glock. They all work well. 

Given the current gun pricing and limited availability, its likely a better way to go with a known quantity for less, not to mention you can have it delivered to your door without transfer fees.

The downside may be your girl may get ac real liking for your 229 so you’ll have to share. Good problem to have though 😉

7 minutes ago, Erich said:

Here is another thought given this is for introducing the sport to your baby. Since you’re a sig and Beretta fan, you may have a model that they offer a 22 conversion for.  
I’ve got 22 uppers for my 92, 229, and 1911. Even one for a Glock. They all work well. 

Given the current gun pricing and limited availability, its likely a better way to go with a known quantity for less, not to mention you can have it delivered to your door without transfer fees.

The downside may be your girl may get ac real liking for your 229 so you’ll have to share. Good problem to have though 😉

Erich has a good point there. And it gives me an idea. lol

I actually have 2 of the 22 conversion kits for Sigs. I bought them on an impulse from G&L a few years back. Saw them sitting on the shelf and snatched them. And promptly put them in the safe. lol

I believe for a P220 and a 1911 frame. Have to check.

Edited by hipower
On 12/19/2020 at 6:47 PM, Snaveba said:

I am looking at getting a 22LR pistol to introduce / teach my daughter about handguns (also for plinking as ammo is too expensive at the moment).

My local FFL has a used Sig Mosquito Sport for sale. I like the feel holding it and I like Sig pistols. 

Does anyone out there have experience with this particular handgun? 

Also, what are thoughts on it's retail value?

Thanks, 

Briggs.

Sig Sauer Mosquito Sport 22LR Thoughts

The wife has one with at least 2000 rounds through it will no issues so far. Not sure if that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

So, this was an itch better left unscratched. I should have just trusted in the wisdom of the TGO, but I really liked the pistol. 

I really wanted the Mosquito Sport to be a deal, but it was a dud. I took it to the range and tried several different brands and types of ammo. It did not like the Remington HP, CCI HP, CCI Standard Velocity, or the Federal target. I tried both recoil springs. It would missfire, fail to eject, stove pipe, fail to feed, etc.  When it did shoot, it was very nice, felt great, but I don’t think I was able to shoot an entire mag without a problem. For the Federal, I had to rack the slide every time to shoot. 

So, I welcome the “I told you so” comments. I should have listened.  

If you have one and it works well, I’m a little jealous. 

I do want to give props to Music City Pawn in Nashville. I use them for my FFL, but this was my first purchase from them. They told me I had 48 hours to check it out and return it.  I took it home, gave it a good cleaning and then took it to the range  (with the above results).  They took it back no questions asked.  

If you want a good inexpensive FFL, I recommend. They only charge $25  plus the $10 background. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

So, this was an itch better left unscratched. I should have just trusted in the wisdom of the TGO, but I really liked the pistol. 

I really wanted the Mosquito Sport to be a deal, but it was a dud. I took it to the range and tried several different brands and types of ammo. It did not like the Remington HP, CCI HP, CCI Standard Velocity, or the Federal target. I tried both recoil springs. It would missfire, fail to eject, stove pipe, fail to feed, etc.  When it did shoot, it was very nice, felt great, but I don’t think I was able to shoot an entire mag without a problem. For the Federal, I had to rack the slide every time to shoot. 

So, I welcome the “I told you so” comments. I should have listened.  

If you have one and it works well, I’m a little jealous. 

I do want to give props to Music City Pawn in Nashville. I use them for my FFL, but this was my first purchase from them. They told me I had 48 hours to check it out and return it.  I took it home, gave it a good cleaning and then took it to the range  (with the above results).  They took it back no questions asked.  

If you want a good inexpensive FFL, I recommend. They only charge $25  plus the $10 background. 

Sorry it didn't work out.  I'm going to try to get to the range this weekend with the Taurus TX22 and let you know how it shots.  I don't have a lot of different kinds of ammunition to try, so it will mostly be some old Olin White Box, some old Remington Match Pistol, which to be honest has seen it's better days and Some Aquallia HV 40gr hps.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 10:44 AM, Moped said:

Sorry it didn't work out.  I'm going to try to get to the range this weekend with the Taurus TX22 and let you know how it shots.  I don't have a lot of different kinds of ammunition to try, so it will mostly be some old Olin White Box, some old Remington Match Pistol, which to be honest has seen it's better days and Some Aquallia HV 40gr hps.

Did you get the TX22 to the range?  What’s your impression?

• 3 weeks later...

I own a Ruger Mark IV 22 and a Walther P22  which have taught my wife and many teenagers the joy of shooting. Recently had a chancce to shoot a Glock G44 and I am not a Glock fanboy but it shot well and was accurate and fun to shoot. My buddy has a Ruger SR 22 and his kids ages 8, 10 and 13 love it. Plus in our times of expensive ammo....plink all afternoon on $100......

• Like 1