GunTab firearms payments

DaveTN

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I just ran across this and haven’t seen it discussed here. Has anyone here used it?

https://www.guntab.com/

Never heard of it, but a few minutes scanning through their website reveals it's an escrow service specifically directed at online gun sales.  I suppose it's useful if you're buying a gun from an unknown seller with little or no feedback.  I've never had any problems making purchases online, albeit I typically buy from sellers with good feedback and the vast majority of my transactions have been for C&R firearms.  These don't seem to be plagued with as many problems as modern gun sales anyway ...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

Never heard of it, but a few minutes scanning through their website reveals it's an escrow service specifically directed at online gun sales.  I suppose it's useful if you're buying a gun from an unknown seller with little or no feedback.  I've never had any problems making purchases online, albeit I typically buy from sellers with good feedback and the vast majority of my transactions have been for C&R firearms.  These don't seem to be plagued with as many problems as modern gun sales anyway ...

I’ve got a couple of guns that I want to sell on GB, but without the ability to accept a credit card or use GB checkout; I doubt many would want to buy from an unknown source. This looks like something that might help.

I also hold a C&R, but those aren’t what these are. I mostly sell here, but I have a couple that aren’t going to sell here. I’m not complaining; that’s just the way it is. Either my price is too high, or its because I won’t travel, or its something no one wants, or they think I’m an azzhat. Could be any of those or be all of those. 🤣

I just noticed it today, so I’m just curious if anyone has used it.

I personally will not make a Gun Broker purchase unless I can pay with a credit card.  If you read the fine print on the Gun Broker site, they offer very little protection.  Unlike a bigger player such as PayPal, Gun Broker, IIRC, only covers up to $150 in loss if you get scammed by a seller.

I have made an account on Gun Tab but have not yet made a transaction through them.  Gun Tab seems like the best alternative to PayPal, Venmo, etc.  Another thing that appeals to me about Gun Tab is that they have a network of participating FFL's.  I would think that would grease the wheels with regard to transfers.

Edited by billyblazes

I'll only buy with a CC on GunBroker as well, but curiously enough the last two buyers that bought from me both just sent me a USPS money order. I've seen a few of these gun payment services come and go, hopefully this one gets traction. I've tried signing up with GunBroker payments and I keep hitting roadblocks for some reason.

1 hour ago, ACfixer said:

I'll only buy with a CC on GunBroker as well, but curiously enough the last two buyers that bought from me both just sent me a USPS money order. I've seen a few of these gun payment services come and go, hopefully this one gets traction. I've tried signing up with GunBroker payments and I keep hitting roadblocks for some reason.

Virtually all my purchases via Gunbroker have been for C&R rifles, but even for the few modern firearms I've bought there, I paid all USPS MO's.  I never use a credit card, much prefer the MO's.

Edited by No_0ne
1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

Virtually all my purchases via Gunbroker have been for C&R rifles, but even for the few modern firearms I've bought there, I paid all USPS MO's.  I never use a credit card, much prefer the MO's.

I generally just use a CC for convenience and expedience, I really wouldn't have a problem with sending a money order to an established seller... I have a problem with USPS.

This isn’t about credit cards. If I sell, taking a credit card is not an option. PayPal is not an option on guns.

It’s pretty much postal money orders or checks, and hold until they clear. Those aren’t good options. So I wondered if anyone has used GunTab. But from the looks of it, it takes 9 days to complete a sell. That’s probably why it isn’t being used much.

I’m selling some stuff at first that I can take Paypal for, I’ll have to research other options for guns.