Covid 19 vaccine - order of distribution

Randall53

I really don’t understand the thinking in the order of vaccine distribution. If the vaccine was giving to the most vulnerable, that being those most susceptible (regardless of age or race or occupation) of being hospitalized in ICU units or even dying, were given the vaccine first, I’d think this would be the way to get ahead of the disease and lightening the load on the hospitals and the first line workers. 

Another thing I’m wondering about. Why are we not dispatching the naval hospital ships like before and making mobile hospitals in major cities like we did before when we were utilizing the armed forces? It seems all we hear is the dire position we are in with hospitals ICU’s being full up and no room for more patients. 

O well.....I guess its time for another round of pain meds and another night of rambling around the house in the semi dark. 

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The radiologists I support in Nashville have all either gotten the first round of the vaccine, or are eligible for it.  Internally, we prioritized those who are hands on with patients doing procedures, followed by those with exposure in proximity, then those who read ED studies from home.  You may think it's weird that someone who sits at home for their shift gets some priority for the vaccine, but when that person is reading trauma and stroke cases out of the ED, I promise you want them healthy and focused.

The idea behind the emergency medical community going first is to ensure hospital staffing can be kept stable and absorb what still comes as the vaccine makes its way to the general public.  A lot of facilities have had staffing issues from a COVID spread, and that can cause some pain points in a hurry. 

I'm all for the elderly getting it in high priority after that.  Admittedly, I've not followed the order of vaccination outside of my work...I figured since I'm not clinical, I'll get it when my PCP says it's available.  I'm content to wait my turn so others in more need can go ahead of me.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

Yep me too Raoul. I ain’t hearing anything from the Biden Harris or Harris Biden camp, whichever it is. I guess soon it will be put up or shut up time though. 

If only it was the Democrats. The governing class doesn't give a #### about us. Feel free to choose a party to piss on. They're both the same.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Raoul said:

If only it was the Democrats. The governing class doesn't give a #### about us. Feel free to choose a party to piss on. They're both the same.

Yeah. We’ve been doomed for a long time. It’s still hard to watch it all come together though.

• Like 1

They are being decided based on what the politicians think will make them look the best. You only need to look at who its killing to see who should be first. This ain’t rocket science, yet they want to make it seem like it is.

My 90 year old parents are in assisted living and suppose to get the vaccine this week. I’ll feel a lot better when they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My wife is a physician and she got hers last week.  Her hospital is very similar to what @btq96r outlined above.  One note on the question about mobile hospitals is even if they have the need they likely don't have the staffing to support one without using the national guard (which is possible) but I just don't think most states are to that critical state just yet.  

I agree with hospital front line staff getting it first as they are the most important defense at keeping most people alive, covid or non-covid related.  The vulnerable population are close to follow and we should see an increase in availability soon.  

What we have to keep in mind is this is a 2 dose vaccine so when you hear numbers about total doses sent to states or regions they must reserve half of those for the second application otherwise this is all for not.  I don't think at this point they can reliably expect to have enough doses in the future so they will set them aside now just in case.  So if you hear news people losing their #### about officials setting doses aside or reserving them this is the reason.  

• Like 2

This is straight from TN Department of Health's website Frontline hospital health care workers, first responders, long-term care facility residents and staff, home health providers, student health providers. It appears to be going in that exact order. I know the heath care workers and EMS were given first priority then police and fire. I got mine today nothing but soreness in the shoulder hope that is all I get. They didn't really laugh too much when I sad I'm here to get my zombie shot. Anyone else got it yet?

7 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Ain't y'all worried about that nano technology they are using?

Mind and body control, I dun red it on the internet.

Reynolds and Alcoa stock is going up!

At this point I'm into liquor futures....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Pain103 said:

This is straight from TN Department of Health's website Frontline hospital health care workers, first responders, long-term care facility residents and staff, home health providers, student health providers. It appears to be going in that exact order. I know the heath care workers and EMS were given first priority then police and fire. I got mine today nothing but soreness in the shoulder hope that is all I get. They didn't really laugh too much when I sad I'm here to get my zombie shot. Anyone else got it yet?

Our local Fire Departments (the paid and the volunteer departments) had the option to get it Monday and Tuesday. I know a handful that did, most passed. The Hospital my wife works at started giving it to those that wanted it Tuesday. Again, she only knows a handful that got it. Most either don’t trust it or would like the priority of it to go to those that are actually high risk. Most of those that I know that got it are in poor health (high risk categories). Depending on which service you work for, some say that you are not eligible to receive it if you are within 90 days of having COVID. I know one relatively healthy guy who just recovered from COVID, he’s only been back to work about a week, and he managed to talk his way into getting it, which I find pretty selfish. As noted by someone above, each person that got it should get their 2nd shot 4-5 weeks after the first or all is for not. By that logic, the period between the first shot and the second you would not be protected. Those that got it were told it’s good for 4-6 months max.