Prowler

pop pop

Had a strange car in our driveway last evening. Must have come in with lights off because where I sit I can see any car coming in after dark with lights on. I only noticed his tail lights 

leaving our drive. We have a neighborhood message board on Facebook and apparently others had visitors last evening also. One guy posted they were in his drive at 1:30 AM. none of 

us has a description of the vehicle. They were in our drive at 9:15 PM last evening. Been on the lookout tonight, but been quiet so far. Outside lights are on and all cars and truck locked.

Also have doors locked and deadbolted. Will leave more lights on, than usual tonight. Be careful guys. Make sure everything is secure as possible. 

• Like 3

My drive is close to 1/4 mile long, I got us a drive way alarm. It "sees" the steel from the vehicle to set it off. Wireless as well. So animals wont set it off.

Dakota Alert DCPA-4000 Wireless Driveway Alarm System - DCR-4000 Receiver and DCPT-4000 Vehicle Detecting Probe Transmitter with 50-FT of Direct Burial Cable

Have not had a vehicle get missed, even the mower sets it off.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

New tonight(Channel 5?) reported crime stats way up in Donelson Area. A cop was shot at while answering a call recently it said. And woman killed there very recently also.

Times they are a changing guys and gals. Be diligent. Be alert. Be armed.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, hipower said:

New tonight(Channel 5?) reported crime stats way up in Donelson Area. A cop was shot at while answering a call recently it said. And woman killed there very recently also.

Times they are a changing guys and gals. Be diligent. Be alert. Be armed.

Dunkin Donuts on Bell Rd near 24 has been hit once by a drug head and a guy "showed" his pistol when asked to wear a mask.

Red333 really interested in the driveway sensor. Where did you purchase yours, or where can I get one? Is yours battery operated? If so, how often do you replace the batteries. My neighbor has one. He is a retired Policeman. Got a visit a few years back from a thug he helped to send up. Came to take revenge on him. Neighbor knew when the thug pulled into his driveway. I need one because my drive ls long.  

• Like 1

There's a well-known ne're do well in my neighborhood, a car thief and drug addict. The sheriff's deputies know him well and arrest him regularly, but somehow the courts keep turning him loose on us over and again. I close my gate during hours of darkness and am fortunate to have a few very reliable, observant neighbors that I can count on in a pinch.

• Like 2
On 12/22/2020 at 10:55 PM, RED333 said:

My drive is close to 1/4 mile long, I got us a drive way alarm. It "sees" the steel from the vehicle to set it off. Wireless as well. So animals wont set it off.

Dakota Alert DCPA-4000 Wireless Driveway Alarm System - DCR-4000 Receiver and DCPT-4000 Vehicle Detecting Probe Transmitter with 50-FT of Direct Burial Cable

Have not had a vehicle get missed, even the mower sets it off.

Thanks Red for the recommendation I have two different proximity alarms on my 1200' drive. One is the same style as the Dakota and the other is above ground. The below ground one was first and was missing about 20% of the traffic and almost always missed the UPS truck, can't get much more mass than that. I added the second one after a friend had good luck with the brand and it is about 80% also and also misses UPS trucks most of the time. I figured if both were 80% I could get close to 100% between the two but they both seem to miss the same vehicles most of the time. I was looking to see what else was available. 

I really would like to know why the UPS trucks misses most of the time, like you my lawnmower, that has a fiberglass body on a steel frame, sets both off no problem.

A plus for have two with different alert sounds is you can tell if the vehicle is coming or going.

Turns out these guys are hunting for unlocked cars and what they can steal out of them. I have seen this in subdivisions and in town where houses are close together and lots of them, but not in the county before. Sherriff has several reports of car looting in our area now.

They found all my vehicles locked, with nothing of value visible, as well as the locked RV. Just don't understand why one would not lock their cars, most times by just pushing a button, in their driveways. Why help these thieves out? Just seems simple to me!

On 12/23/2020 at 7:19 AM, pop pop said:

Red333 really interested in the driveway sensor. Where did you purchase yours, or where can I get one? Is yours battery operated? If so, how often do you replace the batteries. My neighbor has one. He is a retired Policeman. Got a visit a few years back from a thug he helped to send up. Came to take revenge on him. Neighbor knew when the thug pulled into his driveway. I need one because my drive ls long.  

https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-DCPA-4000-Wireless-Driveway/dp/B07PDZPF31/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&hvadid=2094297680&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=driveway+alarm+wireless&qid=1608825575&sr=8-21&tag=mh0b-20

11 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Thanks Red for the recommendation I have two different proximity alarms on my 1200' drive. One is the same style as the Dakota and the other is above ground. The below ground one was first and was missing about 20% of the traffic and almost always missed the UPS truck, can't get much more mass than that. I added the second one after a friend had good luck with the brand and it is about 80% also and also misses UPS trucks most of the time. I figured if both were 80% I could get close to 100% between the two but they both seem to miss the same vehicles most of the time. I was looking to see what else was available. 

I really would like to know why the UPS trucks misses most of the time, like you my lawnmower, that has a fiberglass body on a steel frame, sets both off no problem.

A plus for have two with different alert sounds is you can tell if the vehicle is coming or going.

Jeb, I do not know what model you have, mine is 100% never miss.

Edited by RED333
Because I can

I  had a driveway alarm when I lived in Gallatin but don't have one here. If they make it past Tommy's house up front without getting stopped I figure it is someone we know. Mine was not an expensive one and came from Harbor Freight and the outside wireless unit was Battery operated and the base worked on 110 volt and it would react to anything moving including the UPS truck.

UPS trucks are mostly aluminum and fiberglass?

Dakota alerts have been around for a while. Good stuff!

Do you have dogs/pets that roam at night? Perhaps you could setup some welcome presents for prowlers.... I don't think its illegal to leave a few 2x4s painted flat black and covered with 12d sinkers throughout in various positions around your vehicles? You know they're there, you could prolly tell your neighbors to be extra safe, but a thief won't be expecting a tiger trap.

44 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

UPS trucks are mostly aluminum and fiberglass?

Dakota alerts have been around for a while. Good stuff!

Do you have dogs/pets that roam at night? Perhaps you could setup some welcome presents for prowlers.... I don't think its illegal to leave a few 2x4s painted flat black and covered with 12d sinkers throughout in various positions around your vehicles? You know they're there, you could prolly tell your neighbors to be extra safe, but a thief won't be expecting a tiger trap.

UPS trucks have a steel frame and cast iron engine block, plenty for a magnetic based sensor system. 

Booby traps are illegal.  A motion sensor light/alarm would have the desired effect.

Edited by peejman
11 minutes ago, peejman said:

UPS trucks have a steel frame and cast iron engine block, plenty for a magnetic based sensor system. 

Booby traps are illegal.  A motion sensor light/alarm would have the desired effect.

Yep. If it’ll trip a traffic signal it’ll trip a magnetic alarm sensor I’d think. 🤔

5 minutes ago, peejman said:

Serious question, and honestly not trying to bait you, but, why are they illegal? Coming from NY, I know how laws like this get written.... one reason I moved to TN!!!

I mean, private property should mean you have an assumption of no tresspassers (in NY, you ARE held liable if a tresspasser hurts themselves on your property... baffling to me). I had assumed (hoping?) that would be treated differently here. But by all means I'm all ears/interested in discussing...

How would one be charged? Would the perp have to admit to being injured while on your property (uninvited)? Granted if an officer came onto your property and they were left out, but...

In all seriousness, I've considered random lengths of barbed wire ankle high in various places in the woods around my home. How does this differ from barbed wire fencing around the perimeter? Neither ones visible at night? And I still keep coming back to the "you're not supposed to be here" argument of tresspassing... stupid games stupid prizes in my book. Granted, thats not a legal defense, but still... interesting discussion, especially in light of some possible future events these days!

• Moderators

As a general rule, the indiscriminate nature of a booby trap is what has led to them being illegal. They’re illegal in every single state as far as I know. The fact is, the booby trap doesn’t care who trips it, or why. The legal ability to use force, lethal or otherwise, against another requires the conscious action and judgement of a reasonable person that a threat exists. A booby trap in incapable of meeting that criteria. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ReeferMac said:

Serious question, and honestly not trying to bait you, but, why are they illegal? Coming from NY, I know how laws like this get written.... one reason I moved to TN!!!

I mean, private property should mean you have an assumption of no tresspassers (in NY, you ARE held liable if a tresspasser hurts themselves on your property... baffling to me). I had assumed (hoping?) that would be treated differently here. But by all means I'm all ears/interested in discussing...

How would one be charged? Would the perp have to admit to being injured while on your property (uninvited)? Granted if an officer came onto your property and they were left out, but...

In all seriousness, I've considered random lengths of barbed wire ankle high in various places in the woods around my home. How does this differ from barbed wire fencing around the perimeter? Neither ones visible at night? And I still keep coming back to the "you're not supposed to be here" argument of tresspassing... stupid games stupid prizes in my book. Granted, thats not a legal defense, but still... interesting discussion, especially in light of some possible future events these days!

If my kid gets turned around while squirrel hunting , or looking for his dog, and accidentally crosses your property looking for a road, and gets tangled up in your booby trap, guess what sort of relationship you and I are about to have. Bad idea.

I guess everybody doesn’t have the same respect for neighbors and community that I was raised around.

Edited by gregintenn

I watched a news special the other night about the Broken Juvenile Legal system and it is not broken. It is almost non-existent. Some Officers have arrested a Juvenile for possession of a stolen fire arm at 7PM and arrested him 4 hours later and he had another gun when they arrested him the second time. He was released at 7:30 to his mother and she said he never went in the house but took off soon as she stopped her car at home. The police said that the system is just a swinging door. The singer that was killed during a car hijacking was shot by a 13 year old that had 5 prior arrests with 3 of them for stolen gun violations during the commission of a felony armed robbery. He was arrested with 3 friends for the murder and he is the only one still locked up and his mother said she hopes they try him as an adult and he gets a long prison  sentence. During the report it was said that the zip code for north Nashville and Madison area has more juvenile arrests than any other place in America. Now with that said, if an officer shoots and kills one during the commission of a crime they want to hang the officer for doing his job!!! They asked one officer if he had any idea how to fix the problem and he said yes, just 1. Pass a law the permitted people the right to use deadly legal force to protect their property without fear of prosecution and it would take a short time and you would begin to see the numbers go down pretty quick. He said until you put some fear in these young people that they can be killed by the property owner they will continue to do as they please because they don't fear being arrested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2