Prowler

pop pop

4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I guess everybody doesn’t have the same respect for neighbors and community that I was raised around.

You mean like respecting no tresspassing signs? Gotcha!

You take the driveway up to the house and knock on the front door like a neighbor: Hey Mister, I think my dog got lost and is running around your woods...

Shrug... yep, we were raised different I guess.

I have one of the above-ground Dakota alert sensors that can transmit 200 yards to the house.. It's aimed about 4' above the driveway and is about 20' back. It catches UPS, Fedex, and most cars all the time, but the dark Amazon vans at night it only catches as they leave, and sometimes light colored cars during the day slip by. I'll be looking at adding one of the magnetic sensors to try and improve that accuracy.

It catches me walking by to get the mail, and occasionally things early in the morning (hopefully of the four-legged variety).

I also have the Dakota receiver tied into a Z-wave network so I get alerts on my phone (as well as a log of them).

Edited by DennisG
Further thought
4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

As a general rule, the indiscriminate nature of a booby trap is what has led to them being illegal.

That makes sense.

But what if I set coyote and bear traps up around my property. Been having problems with my chickens being eaten and beehives getting broken into....

Ok, granted. Now I'm playing devil's advocate here.. regardless, am I not within my rights to do so on my private property? I'll acknowledge maybe out-of-season violation, but patently illegal?

Sorry, don't mean to segue from the original posters question, just a thought exercise.

10 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

That makes sense.

But what if I set coyote and bear traps up around my property. Been having problems with my chickens being eaten and beehives getting broken into....

Ok, granted. Now I'm playing devil's advocate here.. regardless, am I not within my rights to do so on my private property? I'll acknowledge maybe out-of-season violation, but patently illegal?

Sorry, don't mean to segue from the original posters question, just a thought exercise.

Now you've changed the equation. A legitimate animal trap located in an area frequented by predators to prevent loss of livestock is very different than black-painted 2x4s with nails hidden beside a car to prevent thievery. However, a LIVE trap is way better than one that's going to harm or kill the animal. Then you get to dispatch the animal, not having the trap do it indiscriminantly. You do NOT want a protected species getting caught in your leg trap. I'm reminded of the King of the Hill episode with the whooping crane.   🙂

https://www.tn.gov/twra/law-enforcement/wildlife-damage-control.html

50 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

You mean like respecting no tresspassing signs? Gotcha!

You take the driveway up to the house and knock on the front door like a neighbor: Hey Mister, I think my dog got lost and is running around your woods...

Shrug... yep, we were raised different I guess.

I figured you’d interpret my post differently than I meant it.

Do you have children? Do you suppose they ever got into something or went somewhere they shouldn’t have? Should this he punished with booby traps?

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

That makes sense.

I guarantee that if anyone were to find themselves injured by any sort of trap on your property, this thread right here will be taken into account by the relevant authorities. 

The internet is forever. 

This is a line I wouldn’t walk anywhere near. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

The internet is forever.

LOL! No argument there. I teach my kids the same thing.

I started noodling on some ideas with a friend not long ago when discussing securing the area in the event of things getting sporty, or persistent burglar/drug-crime problems... some local teen keeps breaking into cars/sheds/barns for pawn fodder. How could you send a message? Legality was always a secondary debate.

2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

You do NOT want a protected species getting caught in your leg trap. I'm reminded of the King of the Hill episode with the whooping crane.   🙂

https://www.tn.gov/twra/law-enforcement/wildlife-damage-control.html

Hmmmm.. I'll have to look that one up!

(We used to call one of the guys I worked with "Bobby", because he was that kinda stupid.)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I figured you’d interpret my post differently than I meant it.

Do you have children? Do you suppose they ever got into something or went somewhere they shouldn’t have? Should this he punished with booby traps?

Sorry if I missed the message. Internet text forums ain't always the best, but its what we've got, eh? 😆

I do have kids, 3 of them. And if one got scratched up in some barbed wire out in the woods I'd ask wtf they were doing skulking around in old Mr. Reeferman's woods? My parents said the same to me. Falls into the stupid games/prizes category.

In all seriousness I do believe I understand what you mean, but don't share that viewpoint. Getting cut up on some barbed wire or a nail stuck in your foot isn't fatal, I've done both. Its a learning experience. 

8 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Sorry if I missed the message. Internet text forums ain't always the best, but its what we've got, eh? 😆

I do have kids, 3 of them. And if one got scratched up in some barbed wire out in the woods I'd ask wtf they were doing skulking around in old Mr. Reeferman's woods? My parents said the same to me. Falls into the stupid games/prizes category.

In all seriousness I do believe I understand what you mean, but don't share that viewpoint. Getting cut up on some barbed wire or a nail stuck in your foot isn't fatal, I've done both. Its a learning experience. 

You've stepped on a 2x4 full of nails that someone else hid in a place you might walk? 

If left untreated, say by a kid who got hurt somewhere they knew they shouldn't have been but was afraid to tell a parent because they knew they'd get in trouble, tetanus can be fatal. 

21 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

I guess you do understand what I meant. I was hoping you didn’t. We should just agree to disagree. I couldn’t live with myself if my neighbor’s kids ended their hide and seek game by becoming ensnared in a bear trap or whatever else you’ve used as examples in earlier posts.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

It will definitely be a learning experience. The only problem is in today’s litigious society you would probably be the one learning the lesson. 

8 hours ago, peejman said:

You've stepped on a 2x4 full of nails that someone else hid in a place you might walk? 

If left untreated, say by a kid who got hurt somewhere they knew they shouldn't have been but was afraid to tell a parent because they knew they'd get in trouble, tetanus can be fatal. 

Old man was tired of us kids hopping his fence to get to the field to play ball.

Did you know you need a tetanus booster every ten years? Doctor told me that as I was getting one. Good times!

Nobody got arrested or sued, and every parent in the neighborhood used me as the example to their child, why you respect peoples property boundary. 2 weeks hobbling around on crutches didn't take too long to find out what happened to the Mc________ boy, And nobody ever jumped that old mans fence again. If you knocked a ball into his yard you screwed up the courage to knock on his front door or kissed it goodbye.

Thats the neighborhood I grew up in. YMMV.

Edited by ReeferMac
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Old man was tired of us kids hopping his fence to get to the field to play ball.

Did you know you need a tetanus booster every ten years? Doctor told me that as I was getting one. Good times!

Nobody got arrested or sued, and every parent in the neighborhood used me as the example to their child, why you respect peoples property boundary. 2 weeks hobbling around on crutches didn't take too long to find out what happened to the Mc________ boy, And nobody ever jumped that old mans fence again. If you knocked a ball into his yard you screwed up the courage to knock on his front door or kissed it goodbye.

All of my older neighbors were like another set of grandparents. I wish everybody could have grown up like that. The world would be a better place.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, bersaguy said:

They asked one officer if he had any idea how to fix the problem and he said yes, just 1. Pass a law the permitted people the right to use deadly legal force to protect their property without fear of prosecution and it would take a short time and you would begin to see the numbers go down pretty quick. He said until you put some fear in these young people that they can be killed by the property owner they will continue to do as they please because they don't fear being arrested.

When I started as a Police Officer; we had those laws. Tennessee v. Garner ended that.

3 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I didn't have to deal with cranky old neighbors as a kid, but I have as an adult. My previous next door neighbor was a hateful old bastard.  When we moved into the subdivision, he had the property line marked with several  rebar posts sticking about 24" out of the ground.

My oldest was a toddler so the idea of rusty rebar posts in the grass at my son's eye level was totally not acceptable, so I pulled them up. He came charging out of the house yelling at me that those were his posts.  I explained (politely at first) that they were a danger to my child and its not my problem if he can't remember where the property line is after 15 years in the same house.  Its not like I'm going to leave a 12" strip of unmowed grass down the line.  

We had a couple subsequent conversations about it and I eventually told him to ask his lawyer friends if they think a jury would side with a toddler who lost and eye or a mean old man?  We never spoke again.  Thankfully they moved away a few years later and a really nice couple moved in. 

Yeah, some neighbors are crap. thankfully I've never had to experience this first hand. My neighbors are all good people. My brother had a altercation with a neighbor he used to have. They didn't speak for 2 years.

Edited by Quavodus
1 hour ago, peejman said:

My oldest was a toddler so the idea of rusty rebar posts in the grass at my son's eye level was totally not acceptable, so I pulled them up. He came charging out of the house yelling at me that those were his posts.

Hmmmm. So, I'll play Devils advocate again (at the risk of making even more folks hate me, the thought exercise should prove evocative):

You move into a new home and because a pre-existing condition doesn't comport with your sense of safety, you feel within your rights to remove someone elses property from their domiciled residence?

Wow. I don't mean to be a ____, but you sound just like a gun-grabbbing Karen to me right there.

Seriously, not saying this to roust emotions or cause trouble, I understand the desire to protect ones kin... got 3, but I never felt the right to impose myself on someone else. I might go over to their house to explain my position and ask if something can be done. Hey there neighbor, we just moved in and... what say we plant a couple bushes instead, I'll split the cost with you, buy a cold 6 pack, we'll do it together next Saturday?

I installed a vinyl fence in my first home to keep my toddlers safe. I didn't make my neighbors change their yards because of my situation?!?!?

Most people are reasonable when approached reasonably, and toddler safety is a pretty reasonable request IMO, especially when you're talking about one of those suburban neighborhoods with common property boundarys (my first home was)... But to think you're within your rights to alter my private property? Whoah there, we got us a problem here.

You don't want your kid getting hurt in my yard?

Keep 'em out of my yard.

Why is your childs safety my problem? Do I need to put a lock on my medicine cabinet b/c your kids a meth head? Why not just deny my access to a medicine because others get high off it?

I know, I should have to lock all of my guns up with trigger locks at all times and store the ammunition in a separate location because they might steal it and kill someone else with it!

Welcome to New Yawk.

LOL, guess that 'splains why I live in the middle of no where down a dead end street!

In all seriousness, I _do_ understand the point @gregintenn
tried making and fully understand @peejman
doing anything and everything to protect his child(ren)... I'm really not this giant A-hole thinking up ways to hurt and maim wayward neighborhood children, honest... but to my way of thinking, that way of thinking, is exactly how gun control laws get passed. I don't mean to anger anyone or ruffle feathers, rather provoke them to stop and think. I find debates interesting and hope it can continue, even if I'm taking the unpopular side 😄

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Hmmmm. So, I'll play Devils advocate again (at the risk of making even more folks hate me, the thought exercise should prove evocative):

You move into a new home and because a pre-existing condition doesn't comport with your sense of safety, you feel within your rights to remove someone elses property from their domiciled residence?

Wow. I don't mean to be a ____, but you sound just like a gun-grabbbing Karen to me right there.

Seriously, not saying this to roust emotions or cause trouble, I understand the desire to protect ones kin... got 3, but I never felt the right to impose myself on someone else. I might go over to their house to explain my position and ask if something can be done. Hey there neighbor, we just moved in and... what say we plant a couple bushes instead, I'll split the cost with you, buy a cold 6 pack, we'll do it together next Saturday?

I installed a vinyl fence in my first home to keep my toddlers safe. I didn't make my neighbors change their yards because of my situation?!?!?

Most people are reasonable when approached reasonably, and toddler safety is a pretty reasonable request IMO, especially when you're talking about one of those suburban neighborhoods with common property boundarys (my first home was)... But to think you're within your rights to alter my private property? Whoah there, we got us a problem here.

You don't want your kid getting hurt in my yard?

Keep 'em out of my yard.

Why is your childs safety my problem? Do I need to put a lock on my medicine cabinet b/c your kids a meth head? Why not just deny my access to a medicine because others get high off it?

I know, I should have to lock all of my guns up with trigger locks at all times and store the ammunition in a separate location because they might steal it and kill someone else with it!

Welcome to New Yawk.

LOL, guess that 'splains why I live in the middle of no where down a dead end street!

In all seriousness, I _do_ understand the point @gregintenn
tried making and fully understand @peejman
doing anything and everything to protect his child(ren)... I'm really not this giant A-hole thinking up ways to hurt and maim wayward neighborhood children, honest... but to my way of thinking, that way of thinking, is exactly how gun control laws get passed. I don't mean to anger anyone or ruffle feathers, rather provoke them to stop and think. I find debates interesting and hope it can continue, even if I'm taking the unpopular side 😄

I always enjoy your posts, and usually agree with them. Things like this, however, is why we all hate seeing a yankee in a U-haul truck. It is your property. Do with it as you please. We are simply trying to illustrate hypothetical situations in which your ideas might not work out so well.

I have wonderful neighbors. I often see one neighbor headed back across my property to maintain his stock fence. No problem. He doesn’t need to stop and ask permission. If I’m not busy, I might go help him. To have good neighbors, it helps to be one.

There might come a time I could use his help. No doubt he’d he there. I don’t think he booby traps his property either. Somehow we get by.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Love 1
Just now, gregintenn said:

I always enjoy your posts, and usually agree with them. Things like this, however, is why we all hate seeing a yankee in a U-haul truck. It is your property. Do with it as you please. We are simply trying to illustrate hypothetical situations in which your ideas might not work out so well.

I have wonderful neighbors. I often see one neighbor headed back across my property to maintain his stock fence. No problem. He doesn’t need to stop and ask permission. If I’m not busy, I might go help him. To have good neighbors, it helps to be one.

LOL! Thanks for the compliment, no offense taken!

Likewise, I too am trying to illustrate the potential unintended consequences.

Glad we can have a civil discussion where we can agree to disagree!

• Like 1