Prowler

pop pop

18 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Hmmmm. So, I'll play Devils advocate again (at the risk of making even more folks hate me, the thought exercise should prove evocative):

You move into a new home and because a pre-existing condition doesn't comport with your sense of safety, you feel within your rights to remove someone elses property from their domiciled residence?

Wow. I don't mean to be a ____, but you sound just like a gun-grabbbing Karen to me right there.

Seriously, not saying this to roust emotions or cause trouble, I understand the desire to protect ones kin... got 3, but I never felt the right to impose myself on someone else. I might go over to their house to explain my position and ask if something can be done. Hey there neighbor, we just moved in and... what say we plant a couple bushes instead, I'll split the cost with you, buy a cold 6 pack, we'll do it together next Saturday?

I installed a vinyl fence in my first home to keep my toddlers safe. I didn't make my neighbors change their yards because of my situation?!?!?

Most people are reasonable when approached reasonably, and toddler safety is a pretty reasonable request IMO, especially when you're talking about one of those suburban neighborhoods with common property boundarys (my first home was)... But to think you're within your rights to alter my private property? Whoah there, we got us a problem here.

You don't want your kid getting hurt in my yard?

Keep 'em out of my yard.

Why is your childs safety my problem? Do I need to put a lock on my medicine cabinet b/c your kids a meth head? Why not just deny my access to a medicine because others get high off it?

I know, I should have to lock all of my guns up with trigger locks at all times and store the ammunition in a separate location because they might steal it and kill someone else with it!

Welcome to New Yawk.

LOL, guess that 'splains why I live in the middle of no where down a dead end street!

In all seriousness, I _do_ understand the point @gregintenn
tried making and fully understand @peejman
doing anything and everything to protect his child(ren)... I'm really not this giant A-hole thinking up ways to hurt and maim wayward neighborhood children, honest... but to my way of thinking, that way of thinking, is exactly how gun control laws get passed. I don't mean to anger anyone or ruffle feathers, rather provoke them to stop and think. I find debates interesting and hope it can continue, even if I'm taking the unpopular side 😄

I have a long property line that goes over a hill. I could not see from one end to the other. I had a surveyor mark the line in a couple of places and drove in two steel posts to mark where I should mow to. After about a year my two posts disappeared. I got it surveyed again and this time I put two 8 ft pieces of telephone pole 4 feet in the ground with concrete. They have been there several years now. If my neighbor had come to me and asked me nicely to remove the steel posts, I would have. If I was sure he was the one that pulled them up without asking, I would put up a barbed wire fence along the property line. Asking before doing anything to another persons property goes a long way.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

LMAO!

Now that right theres funny, I don't care where you're from!

You see my point of view. Now maybe you can help me out. We have several folks from up north who’ve seen fit to move here. How they found “here” remains a mystery.

What would you consider an acceptable way to treat them?

Should I walk up and start a conversation?

Should I just respectfully leave them alone?

I wouldn’t want to offend or make anyone uncomfortable.

My wife usually greets local folks who move into our community with a fresh baked pie or something similar.

Edited by gregintenn
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

You see my point of view. No maybe you can help me out. We have several folks from up north who’ve seen fit to move here. How they found “here” remains a mystery.

What would you consider an acceptable way to treat them?

Should I walk up and start a conversation?

Should I just respectfully leave them alone?

I wouldn’t want to offend or make anyone uncomfortable.

Treat them exactly like you would any other neighbor. We're all pink on the inside!

Who/how your neighbors are depends on who/how your neighbors are, even if they hail from North of the Mason Dixon. I've met plenty of jerks from both sides of that line. Lots decent folks, too.  I moved my family down here to get them away from what I felt were bad influences (see, I DO care about my kids! LOL!) The simple tale of geriatric neighbors illustrates my point. I'd rather my kids know your neighbors than old Mr. Smith that I had. Crazy Joe was a friggin hoot though, every town needs a local crazy guy on a tricycle in women's dresses. Life just doesn't have the same spice!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Hmmmm. So, I'll play Devils advocate again (at the risk of making even more folks hate me, the thought exercise should prove evocative):

You move into a new home and because a pre-existing condition doesn't comport with your sense of safety, you feel within your rights to remove someone elses property from their domiciled residence?

Wow. I don't mean to be a ____, but you sound just like a gun-grabbbing Karen to me right there.

Seriously, not saying this to roust emotions or cause trouble, I understand the desire to protect ones kin... got 3, but I never felt the right to impose myself on someone else. I might go over to their house to explain my position and ask if something can be done. Hey there neighbor, we just moved in and... what say we plant a couple bushes instead, I'll split the cost with you, buy a cold 6 pack, we'll do it together next Saturday?

I installed a vinyl fence in my first home to keep my toddlers safe. I didn't make my neighbors change their yards because of my situation?!?!?

Most people are reasonable when approached reasonably, and toddler safety is a pretty reasonable request IMO, especially when you're talking about one of those suburban neighborhoods with common property boundarys (my first home was)... But to think you're within your rights to alter my private property? Whoah there, we got us a problem here.

You don't want your kid getting hurt in my yard?

Keep 'em out of my yard.

Why is your childs safety my problem? Do I need to put a lock on my medicine cabinet b/c your kids a meth head? Why not just deny my access to a medicine because others get high off it?

I know, I should have to lock all of my guns up with trigger locks at all times and store the ammunition in a separate location because they might steal it and kill someone else with it!

Welcome to New Yawk.

LOL, guess that 'splains why I live in the middle of no where down a dead end street!

In all seriousness, I _do_ understand the point @gregintenn
tried making and fully understand @peejman
doing anything and everything to protect his child(ren)... I'm really not this giant A-hole thinking up ways to hurt and maim wayward neighborhood children, honest... but to my way of thinking, that way of thinking, is exactly how gun control laws get passed. I don't mean to anger anyone or ruffle feathers, rather provoke them to stop and think. I find debates interesting and hope it can continue, even if I'm taking the unpopular side 😄

The rest of the story....

We were told at closing by the prior owners that they had placed the rebar. 

One of my friends tripped over one of the posts while helping us move in and got a nice gash in his shin, which highlighted the problem.  

We considered a fence, but having just bought the house, and spending 2 months paying rent and a mortgage while repainting and replacing floors in the evenings, we didn't have the cash. And I don't really like fences anyway. 

I offered to swap the rebar for PVC and he refused. I covered the rebar with PVC, he sawed the PVC in half and left it in my mailbox. 

Through the course of all this, he never even asked what my name was. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, mine is that using 5 rebar posts to mark a straight, 100 ft residential property line that's otherwise identified by electrical boxes is stupid. I don't have a lot of tolerance for stupid, particularly when my kids' safety is involved.  If that makes me a gun grabbing Karen, so be it. 

• Like 2
On 12/31/2020 at 7:09 PM, monkeylizard said:

Now you've changed the equation. A legitimate animal trap located in an area frequented by predators to prevent loss of livestock is very different than black-painted 2x4s with nails hidden beside a car to prevent thievery. However, a LIVE trap is way better than one that's going to harm or kill the animal. Then you get to dispatch the animal, not having the trap do it indiscriminantly. You do NOT want a protected species getting caught in your leg trap. I'm reminded of the King of the Hill episode with the whooping crane.   🙂

https://www.tn.gov/twra/law-enforcement/wildlife-damage-control.html

"Sir its not that it was a bear trap...... its that you had a 100$ bill dangling over it" 

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, peejman said:

If that makes me a gun grabbing Karen, so be it. 

Thanks for sharing @peejman
!

I agree with you about our childrens safety, for the record... Once threw a shovel at, and started chasing the neighbor kid's car down the road, 'cuz the little SOB though it was a good idea to come around my corner at 40 mph every afternoon.... stopped doing it after that incident, but I'd digress.

But at the risk of poking the bear, the instant you feel your rights supercede mine, is where I begin to have an issue, even though we agree on the conclusion. Strange, isn't it?

To me, its similar to the attitude and way of thinking I wanted to get away from when I decided to relocate my family.  I once had the school district superintendent (top dawg, whole county, 150k+ students) stand up in front of the entire school and TELL ME, my town was too white. So they were going to bus some city kids into my children's schools. He knew better than me how to raise my kids. Actually said so. I'd just have to trust him. I was the ignoramus for not being in agreement with his idea.

I've been told by very well meaning people that are utterly convinced in their hearts that they know better, how I should drive my car, what TV I should watch, how to store my medicine AND firearms in my own home, and what kinds I should even be allowed to own (YOU don't NEED a 30 rd magazine...) All perfectly legal, all perfectly rationalized, supported by the PTA, local church, pushed for and propagandized by the local news. You're a whack-job if you don't agree. Won't somebody think of the children?!?! If it just saves one life....

Oops, there, I went and did it.

Look, this is just an exercise in thinking things through. I don't mean to give the impression I'm this big of an A-hole... I'm deliberately playing devils advocate (for a reason).

Personally I'm all for the greater good, community, etc. Didn't move to an off-grid cabin halfway up a mountain side for a reason... We give up certain freedoms in order to have this thing called civilization. I like the fact I can safely drive 15 min to a DG/o get a  quart of milk. I can assume my neighbor doesn't have booby traps set throughout his property. That comes at a price, no? Even though I live on 15 acres out in the sticks, I can't start shooting off tannerite bombs in the middle of the night. Why? Because my rights don't supercede those of my neighbors, even if they are 1/2 mile away.

The INSTANT you assume your way of thinking is superior to someone elses, you create a problem. Your experience with your former neighbor illustrates precisely my point:  There would be no reconcilliation between you two, you both believe you are correct. Glad you feel self righteous. You should move North! You'd fit right in...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Thanks for sharing @peejman
!

I agree with you about our childrens safety, for the record... Once threw a shovel at, and started chasing the neighbor kid's car down the road, 'cuz the little SOB though it was a good idea to come around my corner at 40 mph every afternoon.... stopped doing it after that incident, but I'd digress.

But at the risk of poking the bear, the instant you feel your rights supercede mine, is where I begin to have an issue, even though we agree on the conclusion. Strange, isn't it?

To me, its similar to the attitude and way of thinking I wanted to get away from when I decided to relocate my family.  I once had the school district superintendent (top dawg, whole county, 150k+ students) stand up in front of the entire school and TELL ME, my town was too white. So they were going to bus some city kids into my children's schools. He knew better than me how to raise my kids. Actually said so. I'd just have to trust him. I was the ignoramus for not being in agreement with his idea.

I've been told by very well meaning people that are utterly convinced in their hearts that they know better, how I should drive my car, what TV I should watch, how to store my medicine AND firearms in my own home, and what kinds I should even be allowed to own (YOU don't NEED a 30 rd magazine...) All perfectly legal, all perfectly rationalized, supported by the PTA, local church, pushed for and propagandized by the local news. You're a whack-job if you don't agree. Won't somebody think of the children?!?! If it just saves one life....

Oops, there, I went and did it.

Look, this is just an exercise in thinking things through. I don't mean to give the impression I'm this big of an A-hole... I'm deliberately playing devils advocate (for a reason).

Personally I'm all for the greater good, community, etc. Didn't move to an off-grid cabin halfway up a mountain side for a reason... We give up certain freedoms in order to have this thing called civilization. I like the fact I can safely drive 15 min to a DG/o get a  quart of milk. I can assume my neighbor doesn't have booby traps set throughout his property. That comes at a price, no? Even though I live on 15 acres out in the sticks, I can't start shooting off tannerite bombs in the middle of the night. Why? Because my rights don't supercede those of my neighbors, even if they are 1/2 mile away.

The INSTANT you assume your way of thinking is superior to someone elses, you create a problem. Your experience with your former neighbor illustrates precisely my point:  There would be no reconcilliation between you two, you both believe you are correct. Glad you feel self righteous. You should move North! You'd fit right in...

You have your opinion, I have mine.  I'm not kicking this dead horse anymore. 

• Like 2

On our neighborhood watch board, last night, a lady posted her ring door bell went off, at 9:00 PM and a silver car was parked in her driveway with the motor running. She called Police. After a few moments she witnessed two other young guys run from the house across the street, and jumped in the car with bags in their hands, with Coved mask on, and sped away before Police got there. She did not get tag number. 

Ordering a magnetic driveway alarm this morning after worship. Our daughter just installed a very good camera system(1800.00), at their home, after one of their 4 wheelers was stolen. That system sends message to their phones instantly.

Guys, I know you can't shoot someone over stealing property, nor do I want too, but I want to "possibly" keep them out of my house, WHILE WE ARE HERE. I figure the driveway monitor will "Hopefully" alert us if someone enters into our property like the thugs did last week. By the way, our driveway entrance is the only way into our property for cars. Can't pull off side of road because roadway is 8 feet above our property level. Only 30' driveway in. Of course they could walk in, but not good parking along the raised roadway for several 100 feet to the bridge over the creek in front of our home. I don't like electronic devices because they work fairly well for a few years then go south, however that is a price one has to pay for having a chance of knowing if someone comes onto your property. It is a sad state that we have arrived at this point in this country. Seems a segment of society has no respect for law or people any more. I guess it has been this way all along but seems to be getting much worse around here.

We can not have a watch dog running loose any more. My last German Shephard was picked up by Dog Cop and I had a hard time getting him back. Had to get rid of him. Now only have an inside dog. County Leash law. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

How come you don't fence your property?

While I'm no security expert, I have several layers of security at my house:

Property is fully fenced and gated, I have a remote controlled gate opener and key pad, if I buy anything online you can include the gate code in the shipping comments for the delivery driver, driver enters the gate 45seconds later the gate closes, driver leaves there is a sensor along the driveway gate opens and closes 45seconds later, property secured.

Roving dog patrol, sometimes this is a problem when drivers deliver, my dogs usually followed them out the gate, after a few times of looking for them I caged them on delivery days.

Security lights, I have a street light on my utility pole and motion lights on my back garage.

I have a couple cameras, I'll get more soon (better ones), I have WYZE cameras there inexpensive and will notify you immediately on your phone and back up to the cloud free for 2wks.

Hopefully it all stops at the gate! 

• Like 1

Just ordered the Dakota 4000 magnetic driveway monitor kit from Amazon. Not cheap. Hope it does what I want it too. According to the testimonials it must be paired up prior to burial. Thanks for the heads up RED333.  If anyone has this unit did you bury the magnetic bar beside, or under the middle of the driveway? 

Edited to add; Johnny Rotten, my  3 acers yard is fenced on 3, sides but not beside  the roadway. The roadway floods a couple times per year and can't keep the fence up along the front.  

Edited by pop pop
2 hours ago, pop pop said:

Thanks for the heads up RED333.  If anyone has this unit did you bury the magnetic bar beside, or under the middle of the driveway? 

You are welcome, I put my sensor next to the drive (concrete). The range is enough to cover the drive way width then some. My drive has a spot that has trees on both sides, no way to go around the spot. I put the transmitter box on the house side of the sensor. So the vehicle has to drive by the sensor, also hid the transmitter behind a tree so not to be seen coming up the drive. Like I said 100% catch rate, now a lighting storm will trip the sensor and loss of power will make the receiver sound off when power is restored.

1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

As for the rebar posts: drive them into the ground with a hammer.  Posts are still there, no longer dangerous to clumsy kids ...

Actually surveyors have plastic caps that they hammer down over the end of the rebar. Makes the end about 2 inches wide and a lot safer for kids. 

We received  the Dakota 4000 driveway monitor yesterday and installed it this morning. Berried the magnetic sensor in the middle of the driveway about 45' from the end of the drive. Works great. The wireless receiver is in my dining room and loud enough that we can clearly hear it in the bedroom. The receiver is set on a 6 gong chime. The transmitter runs on 3 C123 Batteries and supposed to last 12 months. It is mounted in a shrub tree about 50" from the magnetic sensor, and to the side of the driveway. The sensor is about 275' down the drive. Wife just left to go to the store and it works great. "Hopefully" we will hear when late night visitors decide to come visiting, like they did just before Christmas. 

• Like 1

Congrats Poppop, sounds like you have some peace of mind.
My receiver is over my head in the bed room, wakes me up when our daughter comes in. It is loud enough to hear across the house. The receiver we have has auxiliary contacts to tie into an alarm system if needed.