China says: "private ownership of firearms in US a problem"

One of the best peices of advice I was ever given was "you can only take offense it can't be given to you" if someone says something that offends you then its your choice to take it to heart. God knows I've had to hold my tongue a few times knowing that I dont have anything to prove to anyone and that the offender is just a POS. That being said..... I don't expect everybody to share my sentiment.... if someone rattles off just right to the right person theyre gonna get their teeth adjusted eventually. But I digress. 😅

• Like 2
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, JunkiCosmonaut said:

One of the best peices of advice I was ever given was "you can only take offense it can't be given to you" if someone says something that offends you then its your choice to take it to heart. God knows I've had to hold my tongue a few times knowing that I dont have anything to prove to anyone and that the offender is just a POS. That being said..... I don't expect everybody to share my sentiment.... if someone rattles off just right to the right person theyre gonna get their teeth adjusted eventually. But I digress. 😅

“Candy is bad for your teeth. Do you know what else is bad for your teeth? A brick.

Milk is good for your teeth. Do you know what else is good for your teeth? Shutting the #### up.”

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
On 12/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, TGO David said:

If our dip#### politicians are successful in disarming us,

I really don't believe they want to try that. It sounds all warm and fuzzy to "take your guns". But when it comes to that actually taking place, it won't be good for anyone. I don't think they want the "war" that would ensue should they try that. Does anyone else find it funny that they would use their guns to take ours? So it really isn't an issue that they dislike guns, they just dislike us having guns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

I really don't believe they want to try that. It sounds all warm and fuzzy to "take your guns". But when it comes to that actually taking place, it won't be good for anyone. I don't think they want the "war" that would ensue should they try that. Does anyone else find it funny that they would use their guns to take ours? So it really isn't an issue that they dislike guns, they just dislike us having guns.

Not surprising at all.  They have already shown their true agenda multiple times.  You will do what we say!  We will do what we want!

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

I dont think the disarming will come in the form of outright bans because they're sloppy and ineffective like you say. Instead, I could see a 100% tax or something like that on ammunition and firearms and related parts. It keeps the market open for anyone with means, but makes it cost prohibitive to the rest of the public. Also, a good number of manufacturers center around parts for the ar-15 so it lets them technically stay in business. 

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I hate to say this, but they already know it. Ammo is where it is at, let them keep their guns and sooner or later they will run out of ammo.

Bear in mind that the current ammo shortage has more to do with panic buying than it does government conspiracy.  Obama-era EPA restrictions and import restrictions hurt us.  So too did the import restrictions on things from Russia under Trump.  But most of this is about people buying way more ammo than they will ever need or be able to use and stockpiling it.

I am convinced that there are CONNEX containers buried in the back yards of some of y'all with a ####load of 22LR ammo bought from Wal-Mart every time they restocked back during the Obama Presidency.

You know who you are, too.  You need to give away or sell that stuff.  You're not going to shoot it all before you die and we all know it.  🙂

judging arrested development GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, TGO David said:

You're not going to shoot it all before you die and we all know it.  🙂

I didn't want to offend anyone but I've been thinking it. A lot of the people I see hoarding ammo are in their 70's. When I'm at that age I'll be purging things, not hoarding. I don't want to leave a giant mess for everyone to clean up.  

I think we have some members that are like Burt from Tremors, which may not be a bad thing.

Tremors 2: Aftershocks - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies,  TV and Video Games

• Haha 3
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I didn't want to offend anyone but I've been thinking it. A lot of the people I see hoarding ammo are in their 70's. When I'm at that age I'll be purging things, not hoarding. I don't want to leave a giant mess for everyone to clean up.  

I think we have some members that are like Burt from Tremors, which may not be a bad thing.

Tremors 2: Aftershocks - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies,  TV and Video Games

One of my trucker friends calls me Burt. 

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I've got a friend who had to recently attend to this exact problem.  His brother unfortunately passed away right before Christmas, and the piles of really old ammo that he and the other brothers have had to go through are impressive.  And all in bad shape because of not being stored properly.

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

But most of this is about people buying way more ammo than they will ever need or be able to use and stockpiling it.

So how much ammo does one, in fact, need?

Edited by No_0ne
  • Administrator
15 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

So how much ammo does one. in fact, need?

The only legitimate answer on how you determine need is to specify your use-case and other parameters.  Let's go straight for the jugular:  People who stockpile ammo for the end of the world or for the idea that they may have to fight off a tyrannical government.

Post Apocalypse / Mass Civil Unrest

• Will you be holing up?
    • How long do you think you can defend your castle?
    • How many people are you equipping?
    • For how long does this scenario play out?

• Will you be bugging out?
    • How are you traveling?
    • How far?
    • How much ammo can you transport?
    • How many people are you equipping?
    • For howlong?

Fighting Civil War 2.0

• Same questions as above, plus...
  • How long do you think the firefight will last before they overwhelm you?

Or maybe your use case is you want enough ammo to be able to plink, practice, train, hunt, defend for your lifetime without ever buying another box from a store.  Realistically how much do you need to cover that?

There literally are people who have what I'd classify as a compulsive urge to buy and stockpile ammo despite not having any real appreciation for how much they need.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, TGO David said:

There literally are people who have what I'd classify as a compulsive urge to buy and stockpile ammo despite not having any real appreciation for how much they need.

Fair enough.  My point was that "need" is a subjective term, and will be defined individually by people with many different rationales for their perceived "need".  In addition, all of us often conflate a need with what might be better termed as a "want".  One example, I collect old Russian rifles.  I don't "need" any of them, but I do enjoy owning them.  I also have quite a bit of ammo for them, even though many, probably most in fact, remain unfired by me.  Again, I don't "need" any of this, just as I probably don't "need" many other things I possess now or have in the past.  I suspect that this desire to have a lot of "stuff" is behind many of the ammo piles you reference, and that many of these same people, who some might condemn as ammo "hoarders" are cognizant of the fact that their stockpile doesn't represent a true "need", but rather satisfies some other purpose.  I don't make any apologies for the "stuff" I have, and don't expect others to do so either.  So long as I am not neglecting the true needs of myself or my family, the amount and type of things I own is my concern only.  I also suspect that were we to visit your home, we would find the same true at your house, and rightfully so.  I don't look at either mine, or your possessions as some sort of "zero-sum" system, where in order for me to satisfy my wants, or needs, i must jeopardize your ability to do so as well.  We occasionally do have these temporary supply problems of ammo, guns or related items, they seem to crop up every 4 or 5 years on average.  But, as you referenced earlier, these shortages are primarily due to the nature of ammo manufacturing and related political issues, not because you or I "bought more than we needed" and somehow caused the shortage.  In terms of the current availability issues of ammo, "this too shall pass", as it has many times before.  In the meanwhile, those of us who have more than we "need", due to advance preparation and the ability to do so, don't have to worry about whether ammo is readily available or affordable, as our "hoard" is well stocked.

1 hour ago, No_0ne said:

So how much ammo does one, in fact, need?

How much money does one need? Vehicles? Rooms in ones home? Etc,Etc...

Free people can & should be able to have whatever they want, in any quantity, need has nothing to do with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
21 minutes ago, AuEagle said:

How much money does one need? Vehicles? Rooms in ones home? Etc,Etc...

Free people can & should be able to have whatever they want, in any quantity, need has nothing to do with it.

I don't disagree.  My original statement was maybe a little in jest and a little serious.  There is a point where needs are met and continued compulsive acquisition of a thing just becomes "gluttony" though.  In my opinion, at least.

Edited to add:  I don't think the government should keep you from doing it, but I do think you ought to feel bad for it.  🙂

• Haha 1

If/when the paper dollar bill is only good for lighting a fire,  ammunition will be worth its' weight in gold.  It never hurts to have an emergency fund and ammo is far cheaper to acquire than gold right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, tacops said:

If/when the paper dollar bill is only good for lighting a fire,  ammunition will be worth its' weight in gold.  It never hurts to have an emergency fund and ammo is far cheaper to acquire than gold right now.

My TEOTWAKI plan involves setting up as a local warlord. Having enough ammo to dole out to the minions is helpful in that endeavor. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I don't disagree.  My original statement was maybe a little in jest and a little serious.  There is a point where needs are met and continued compulsive acquisition of a thing just becomes "gluttony" though.  In my opinion, at least.

Edited to add:  I don't think the government should keep you from doing it, but I do think you ought to feel bad for it.  🙂

Why should I or anyone feel bad about enjoying the fruits of their labor & success? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

I'm like this but the opposite of whats happening now. I would buy lots when it's cheap because I'm cheap and I buy when I come across a good deal. I still do, but pre-clownWorld I used to shoot a looooooooot. I kept my dillon running hawt.

Rule #1 buy low sell high, or when its cheap stack it deep.

Edited by JunkiCosmonaut
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

My TEOTWAKI plan involves setting up as a local warlord. Having enough ammo to dole out to the minions is helpful in that endeavor. 

I have this image in my head of Carl from aqua teen in tactical gear on top of a giant pile of ammo cans in sweat pants and flip flops going "you want some of this ammo fry man!?"

• Haha 1

Sorry to blast posts, but I also keep extra guns and ammo for my family in the event of civil unrest preferably everyone is armed and everything is interchangeable. I see that as being the most likely extreme scenario. Although we all live out in bumfuk USA so its not like thats even that much of a concern.

26 minutes ago, tacops said:

SGAmmo has one selection of 9mm for sale on their site. 

It's priced @ .73 per round plus shipping.

As of this post Gold is approx $1845.00 per Troy Oz.

Therefore the 9mm to Gold ratio is 2527/1 as of this post.

This is calculated with out shipping or premiums.

• Like 1