Source for small diameter steel punches

Mayhew, Wilde, and Starrett all make punches in the USA.  They all should make 1/16.  Not sure if they make smaller.    

Depending on what you need, perhaps something like a piece of Music Wire (check hobby shops, etc.) could work?   

No matter what, wear eye protection!  🙂

Edit to add:   McMaster-Carr may be a great reference to see what all is out there in terms of variety and styles.   Searching "punch" on their site pulls up a lot of options for different tasks.

Edited by Guest

If it's something that won't take a lot of force to break loose or slide out, you might find a creative solution that gets you up and running... for example, a small-diameter brad nail with the point ground flat.   Won't take a lot of abuse, but holding a nail or something similar with needle-nose pliers may get you in where you need to be to push something out.  

MSC or McMaster are both good sources I would say Mcmaster has more American made items. When you speak to customer service ask and they will tell you who made the item

Most pin sets don't go lower than 1/16. I have used gage pins, they come in .001 increments from .011 on up, don't know what your pushing out but you can buy them individually.

5 hours ago, aknifemaker said:

MSC or McMaster are both good sources I would say Mcmaster has more American made items. When you speak to customer service ask and they will tell you who made the item

Most pin sets don't go lower than 1/16. I have used gage pins, they come in .001 increments from .011 on up, don't know what your pushing out but you can buy them individually.

MSC and Zoro are also both good about telling you on the site if something is or isn't USA made.   I'm not sure how to filter on zoro, but they do list the country of origin.   MSC actually has COO as one of the "filters" on the left side, so if you don't see "made in USA" as a filter, nothing in the list of products is American made. 

8 hours ago, BlessTheUSA said:

If it's something that won't take a lot of force to break loose or slide out, you might find a creative solution that gets you up and running... for example, a small-diameter brad nail with the point ground flat.   Won't take a lot of abuse, but holding a nail or something similar with needle-nose pliers may get you in where you need to be to push something out.  

I may just try a small diameter nail and grind the point off. I'll go out to the building Tomorrow and look. Thanks

7 hours ago, aknifemaker said:

Thanks for that idea!

I tried looking for some small diameter nails but, didn't have anything small enough. If I was at work I could probably figure something out in the shop. I tried using a paper clip but, bent it bad. I figured........ I measured the hole and the best I could tell it's .060". That's smaller than a 1/16", so that seems to be the smallest punch I can find online.

A quick check shows that a 1/16” punch is what people are using, and that pin is tapered and can only come out one way. But I don’t see where anyone gives the actual diameter of the pin. I use to keep out of calibration gage pins for such emergencies. Just be careful; they are hard and will break and go flying.

Don’t you hate it when you try to have all the tools you need and seems like no matter what the project there is always one tool you don’t have. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

What I've done in the past is taken a belt sander or bench grinder to a 1/16" punch.  Keep it spinning against the wheel or belt as you take material off. Often you don't need to take off very much at all, and it doesn't have to be perfect.  It also helps to shorten most 1/16" punches to the minimum length you need, in order to help avoid bending or breaking.