Prayers for Nashville!!! Explosion reported

A.J. Holst

Multiple videos where you can hear the recording "If you can hear this evacuate now." A witness heard either gunshots or a recording of gunshots between 5 and 5:30. She saw the RV right across from her apartment. She called the police about the gun fire... up to 5 shots.

She heard the countdown starting at 15 minutes and she and her husband left and drove to Titan Stadium. When about 20  minutes passed and nothing happened, they decided to drive back and that's when the RV exploded. She said it was big and older, not slick-sided and a single vehicle RV, not a camper trailer.  She added that she couldn't tell if it was shots fired or a loudspeaker of shots being fired. She said it sounded like it was right outside. Her apartment is on the 3rd floor.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
On 12/18/2020 at 12:17 PM, gregintenn said:

May I suggest that if you give the agitators a bit of scrutinizing, you wouldn't have to ban many folks?

8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I saw a picture on the news this morning of damage to a Hooter’s building. It was all I knew at the time of postimg.

Daniel will be along shortly to tell you I was wrong.

4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Yeah...whatever.

I really don’t see what this thread has to do with @Daniel telling you are wrong. You took a serious question and needlessly brought him into it. 

Consider this a dose of scrutinization. 

Scared Dog GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 4
  • Administrator

This has caused significant telcom (voice, data, 9-11) issues for not just the immediate area but the Southeast from what I am hearing.  We've been on a call at work because of this for a few hours now, but my business unit relented and told my team to disengage since it doesn't affect us directly.

Consider the facts as we know them:

1. The area where this bomb was detonated only has a few things of significance when outside of business/tourist hours.  The biggest asset is the major AT&T routing and switching point of presence which was real near this.

2. The timing (very early Christmas morning) and the fact that the RV was broadcasting a recording over loudspeaker to warn people to evacuate both seem to support the notion that whoever did it was trying to minimize human casualties and instead do major damage to property or infrastructure.

3. Reportedly the "gunshots" heard before the explosion might have been flash-bangs or fireworks or some other noise making device meant to bring the police nearby to evac people.  It was successful in doin gthat.

This doesn't look like a terrorist act, to me.  It sounds more like a really pissed-off employee or former employee of AT&T or some other neighboring business.   The automated recording  and the efforts to clear the area of innocent people support the idea that property damage was the intent.

Terrorists don't normally do that.

• Like 15
15 minutes ago, TGO David said:

This has caused significant telcom (voice, data, 9-11) issues for not just the immediate area but the Southeast from what I am hearing.  We've been on a call at work because of this for a few hours now, but my business unit relented and told my team to disengage since it doesn't affect us directly.

1. The area where this bomb was detonated only has a few things of significance when outside of business/tourist hours.  The biggest asset is the major AT&T routing and switching point of presence which was real near this.

2. The timing (very early Christmas morning) and the fact that the RV was broadcasting a recording over loudspeaker to warn people to evacuate both seem to support the notion that whoever did it was trying to minimize human casualties and instead do major damage to property or infrastructure.

3. Reportedly the "gunshots" heard before the explosion might have been flash-bangs or fireworks or some other noise making device meant to bring the police nearby to evac people.  It was successful in doin gthat.

This doesn't look like a terrorist act, to me.  It sounds more like a really pissed-off employee or former employee of AT&T or some other neighboring business.   The automated recording  and the efforts to clear the area of innocent people support the idea that property damage was the intent.

I was just typing something similar.  This bomber seems to have gone out of their way to avoid casualties, and I see those things you mentioned as proactive steps to prevent loss of life.  Everything about this is pointing to something downtown being the focal point.  AT&T is a believable target, but it could be unintended collateral damage of somewhere else being the real target.

And I'm with you on having to respond to the telecom outages...I have docs leaving their families and headed to the hospitals (who are working through those issues you mentioned) in response to systems that let them work from home being down.  One told me he's bringing a bag to just stay until everything is good.  Small sample of the best being brought out in a crisis.

I'm also curious as to what actually took down the network; the bomb itself and backups failed after a few hours of coverage, or are they doing something with the response that took it out.  Suppose we'll figure that part out soon enough. 

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Maybe it’s just supposed to look like terrorism?

You might laugh at me, but I wonder how many places of high monetary value are now with disrupted monitoring?

Maybe I’ve got too much Nakatomi Plaza on the brain?

• Like 6

I'm inclined to go with David on this. Probably an individual with a grudge. 

I'm also inclined to think this is more about sending a message than actual destruction. The guy had a RV to put his bomb in. He could have made it much bigger and more powerful completely destroying several buildings. 

You Nashville folks keep us updated. You'll likely get the info first and in more detail than the rest of us. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Maybe it’s just supposed to look like terrorism?

You might laugh at me, but I wonder how many places of high monetary value are now with disrupted monitoring?

Maybe I’ve got too much Nakatomi Plaza on the brain?

I thought about this too.  It's a great diversion.

19 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Ha, ha, ha that’s ridiculous. 😜

Just kidding, that’s what I thought when I heard it was the AT&T building.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I really don’t see what this thread has to do with @Daniel telling you are wrong. You took a serious question and needlessly brought him into it. 

Consider this a dose of scrutinization. 

Scared Dog GIF by MOODMAN

I also gave you a serious answer to your serious question. I see you chose to gloss right over that in order to take up for the troll master.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I also gave you a serious answer to your serious question. I see you chose to gloss right over that in order to take up for the troll master.

Disclaimer everyone:

@gregintenn gave an answer to my question before participating in the agitation of another member in the same post. I publicly acknowledge this fact.

• Confused 1