Prayers for Nashville!!! Explosion reported

A.J. Holst

28 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

You guy have no idea how bad it could be. I've be hesitant to call the hot line for fear of being called a racist, but I've called it on occasion.  I have coworkers that refuse for fear of being fired. 

What are you talking about?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

AT&T is a major carrier that provides infrastructure to many smaller providers.  It is highly likely your phone co. leases their lines from them and is switched through Nashville at “gound zero”.

I was incorrect earlier. I discovered you can call a landline from a landline, but not from a cell phone. I understand our 911 system is down. Spooky stuff.

43 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Please explain? Why are you guys calling a hotline? Which one?

I mean, unless of course any of you have actual evidence or input?

I think he may be referring to working for ATT???  It's the only think I can think of that would make sense of the statement.

Edited by Hozzie

My brother-in-law lives 2 miles from Nashville airport. He does not exaggerate at all and he said that his apartment building shook and his pictures rattled on the walls.  That has got to be a big a$$ explosion. Especially since he used to live near us in Montgomery county and we are used to feeling and hearing Ft. Campbell practicing with bombs all the time.  We went to his apartment 4 hours after this and several state troopers , TDOT  Help trucks and metro had the large interstate "loops"  all blocked off.  This is definitly some crazy mess. 

1 hour ago, GlockSpock said:

Please explain? Why are you guys calling a hotline? Which one?

I mean, unless of course any of you have actual evidence or input?

I'm required to call if I see suspicious activity at work. Anyone taking pictures or asking specific questions. It's not a public opinion. We have a private police force and depending on what's up, it gets attention up stream. Most times it's harmless, but I have had guys ask questions that get them looked at. Of course I never know if it's a test or not. I have had people know way too much. One guy asked a question that gave me chills. Not because of what he asked, but how he asked. I called with him standing in front of me. Never saw him again. 

3 hours ago, Peace said:

I would guess that... given the circumstance, a hard look will be given to place those facilities in a hardened environment.  They should be in bunker-buildings set back from public streets and right-of-ways.  Hindsight is 2020 (wow).

AT&T might find themselves speaking to Congress about this incident... and the vulnerabilities it exposed.  I'm not saying there is wrongdoing on AT&T's part - just that ... serving the public means helping AT&T be motivated to keep this data/telecom outage from being so easy to make happen.

I'm sure AT&T's disaster planning teams have expressed the same concerns. Shoot, if me as a random college student had that thought about it being a potential target 20+ years ago, surely professional disaster planners thought of it too. But I'm equally sure that someone else decided it was way too expensive to relocate that much equipment and wiring. Until something like this happens, the bean counters are right. It would cost multiple millions of dollars and years of work to relocate that much gear to a less-easily reached facility. then again, selling off that parcel of real-estate in Nashville these days may pay for it and then some. 🙂

That said, from the photos I've seen, Big Red looks like it fared pretty well from the outside. Way better than the old historic buildings across the street. My work didn't lose connections until after Noon. The fact that service stayed more or less online for ~6 hours says a lot about how much thought went into the strength of the building and the redundancy of the systems inside. Still piecing bits of info together, but it sounds like they were pretty much A-OK until the NFD cut gas lines off, starving some of the on-site generators and the building had to run on reduced power. Not bad, considering.

But, yeah...this thing needs to be out in a big open field looking like the main building in Stranger Things, but with security that can't be defeated by middle school kids.

Edited by monkeylizard
54 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I'm required to call if I see suspicious activity at work. Anyone taking pictures or asking specific questions. It's not a public opinion. We have a private police force and depending on what's up, it gets attention up stream. Most times it's harmless, but I have had guys ask questions that get them looked at. Of course I never know if it's a test or not. I have had people know way too much. One guy asked a question that gave me chills. Not because of what he asked, but how he asked. I called with him standing in front of me. Never saw him again. 

My friend, I may be completely off base here, or maybe somebody deleted something that would have provided context, but your couple comments in this thread make no sense to me all. I’m truly interested in what you are trying to say, but it’s not coming across in a manner that I can put together.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, alleycat72 said:

5 minutes ago, Danger Rane said:

My friend, I may be completely off base here, or maybe somebody deleted something that would have provided context, but your couple comments in this thread make no sense to me all. I’m truly interested in what you are trying to say, but it’s not coming across in a manner that I can put together.

I think he means that at his work and for his work, he is required either by policy or law to report suspicious activity. Suspect he works Military Police, government, energy, critical infrastructure, etc. 

Well...more fuel to the flames of conspiracy. I had a friend send me a message on FB Messenger. Reported to be a tweet/retweet from Edward Jones.

It mentioned that ATT possibly had been given the contract for the forensic analysis of the Dominion Voting Machices. Possibly some were here in this building?

1 minute ago, hipower said:

Well...more fuel to the flames of conspiracy. I had a friend send me a message on FB Messenger. Reported to be a tweet/retweet from Edward Jones.

It mentioned that ATT possibly had been given the contract for the forensic analysis of the Dominion Voting Machices. Possibly some were here in this building?

I saw that too, thought it was some kinda joke, like having dirt on Hillary. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dralarms said:

I saw that too, thought it was some kinda joke, like having dirt on Hillary. 

Don't say that too loud. Having anything on Hillary could be dangerous to your health!

I think it's safe to say that all bets are off on this or anything else that makes the news anymore. About anything can and will be said on any topic.

Just choose sides and run with it.

Hey! I think I just figured out the method of news broadcasting these days.

Edited by hipower
5 hours ago, Peace said:

-agree with everything David said.  

I do not know how many of the buildings on the river side of 2nd Avenue were protected by the historic commission, but...

If they are condemned, the value of the property on which they sit goes way, way, waaaay up.... and it was already worth a fortune.  The ability to develop high-rise buildings on that street is... a diamond mine.

Purely hypothetical:  If that were the purpose, anything this momentous would have to be done several, several, several layers removed with alternative motives farmed and used - meaning the perpetrator wouldn't actually be aware of the true purpose of the bombing.

-I'm glad no innocent people were killed, and I hope the officers injured make a full recovery.

While watch some of the video today, my wife mentioned the historic aspect of the buildings and how she hoped they could be repaired and saved.

I proposed that with the damages shown, it would be a very good possibility that they might just be torn down. I know, I'm not a structural engineer, and it's only another "what if" conspiracy theory; but as Peace said...that riverfront property is an absolute gold mine just waiting to be dug up.

Wouldn't Cooper and his buddies just be heartbroken if such a thing were to happen?

11 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Click on the image in his post and it will take you to the Twitter links.

Not sure what is wrong with my end, but this is what I see. Can not scroll or see any thing else.

what I see.jpg

12 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Not sure what is wrong with my end, but this is what I see. Can not scroll or see any thing else.

what I see.jpg

Try this link.  It poses some interesting observations, some of which I made myself as I watched the news unfold yesterday.  I do not normally follow this publication to know how accurate their reporting is, but this article is certainly worth noting.

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2020/12/25/300057-n300057

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, hipower said:

OK, I'm a little dense this morning. What is it that I'm supposed to glean from these twitter posts from S McG?

All I see, and possibly understand, is the video of the time just before, during, and after the explosion.

Nothing in particular other than some odd stuff. I think some are trying to infer the accounts are/are connected to the suspect. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

That said, from the photos I've seen, Big Red looks like it fared pretty well from the outside. Way better than the old historic buildings across the street. My work didn't lose connections until after Noon. The fact that service stayed more or less online for ~6 hours says a lot about how much thought went into the strength of the building and the redundancy of the systems inside. Still piecing bits of info together, but it sounds like they were pretty much A-OK until the NFD cut gas lines off, starving some of the on-site generators and the building had to run on reduced power. Not bad, considering.

I am not at liberty to share everything I know, but I've been privy to quite a bit of detail because of work.  The switching center was damaged pretty extensively.   The front third or so of the building sustained structural and mechanical damage.  There was/is water standing on the floors of most levels.  The basement was/is flooded.   All of this ostensibly due to fire suppression systems that were either triggered by fire or ruptured because of the concussive force of the blast.

Last night we were told that AT&T was bringing in national-level help from their own disaster recovery teams.  Generators to bring power online was one a priority.  I'm sure the flooding was even more of a priority.

I am more convinced now than I was 24 hours ago that the switching center was likely the specific target.  I may be proven wrong, but it just feels that way to me for a lot of reasons that I really can't go into beyond what I've already said in other posts.  Ironically, I made those posts before I know what I know now... so I'm not going to delete them.

• Like 1