Prayers for Nashville!!! Explosion reported

A.J. Holst

5 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Very similar to the Oklahoma bombing of the FBI building.....JMHO

Looks like they couldn't park the RV/bomb close enough to the building to cause Oklahoma type destruction. Outages are being caused by natural gas being cut off as a precaution I saw from one report. Pics of RV now out there as well.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

If you’re going to ban me, get on with it. Otherwise, knock off the trolling BS.

I’m not going to ban you. You are a valuable member with a long history that also does not recognize that you participate in the same things you call others out on. You encouraged us (the mods) to call out people that agitated others. I simply took you up on that offer. 

I don’t think you’ll find I’m alone in this opinion. 

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
Just now, GlockSpock said:

I’m not going to ban you. You are a valuable member with a long history that also does not recognize you participate in the same things you call others out on. You encouraged us (the mods) to call out people that agitated others. I simply took you up on that offer. 

I don’t think you’ll find I’m alone in this opinion. 

And...if you think I’m trolling...

check this out will ferrell GIF by Team Coco

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

If you’re going to ban me, get on with it. Otherwise, knock off the trolling BS.

Nobody is trolling you but you are certainly calling plenty of attention to yourself.  It's time for the name calling and disrespect to just stop.

You've been a long time, respected, and valuable member of TGO. Step back and take a hard look at several of your recent posts. 

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

This has caused significant telcom (voice, data, 9-11) issues for not just the immediate area but the Southeast from what I am hearing.  We've been on a call at work because of this for a few hours now, but my business unit relented and told my team to disengage since it doesn't affect us directly.

Consider the facts as we know them:

1. The area where this bomb was detonated only has a few things of significance when outside of business/tourist hours.  The biggest asset is the major AT&T routing and switching point of presence which was real near this.

2. The timing (very early Christmas morning) and the fact that the RV was broadcasting a recording over loudspeaker to warn people to evacuate both seem to support the notion that whoever did it was trying to minimize human casualties and instead do major damage to property or infrastructure.

3. Reportedly the "gunshots" heard before the explosion might have been flash-bangs or fireworks or some other noise making device meant to bring the police nearby to evac people.  It was successful in doin gthat.

This doesn't look like a terrorist act, to me.  It sounds more like a really pissed-off employee or former employee of AT&T or some other neighboring business.   The automated recording  and the efforts to clear the area of innocent people support the idea that property damage was the intent.

Terrorists don't normally do that.

David, this is pretty much exactly what I said to my wife this morning. 

The whole scenerio just doesn't add up.

I was telling Susan that it did seem like an ex ATT person with a little explosives knowledge. Just enough to do a lot of damage to the entire area.

Seemed to me that a major portion of the blast went up and outward, not like a Shaped charge. Had it been better planned, I think that ATT switching building might have been leveled.

As it is now, that still could have been successful attack. Looks like some pretty serious damage to the lower floors of the building.

Not trying to steal your comments, David. I just am

in total agreement with your assessment of the situation.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I fully expect them to catch this person(s) quickly. I'm sure the person was captured on security cameras.

Metro PD has a camera on just about every corner down town. I would bet my last dollar that have a good pic of the one or ones that did this.

-agree with everything David said.  

I do not know how many of the buildings on the river side of 2nd Avenue were protected by the historic commission, but...

If they are condemned, the value of the property on which they sit goes way, way, waaaay up.... and it was already worth a fortune.  The ability to develop high-rise buildings on that street is... a diamond mine.

Purely hypothetical:  If that were the purpose, anything this momentous would have to be done several, several, several layers removed with alternative motives farmed and used - meaning the perpetrator wouldn't actually be aware of the true purpose of the bombing.

-I'm glad no innocent people were killed, and I hope the officers injured make a full recovery.

8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

We don’t have landline service up here in Macon County right now. I wasn’t aware our local phone service, North Central Telephone Coop, had anything to do with AT&T.

AT&T is a major carrier that provides infrastructure to many smaller providers.  It is highly likely your phone co. leases their lines from them and is switched through Nashville at “gound zero”.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

Let's remember...

Let's remember that we're all fundamentally good people here as far as history suggests.  I don't understand why a topic like this would inspire arguments between members, but I suspect that tensions are just running high and everyone is on edge.

Treat each other kindly.  Disagree with tact.  Step away from the keyboard for a little bit when you feel the urge to snap at someone.

These are skills that we are probably going to need frequently in the year ahead.  We might as well start practicing them. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

What amazes me is that with all the crap going on, we still can't step back from our hardened rhetoric and attitudes to come together for even a brief moment as a unified nation to deal with the unimaginable shxtstorm that's falling down on our heads.

• Like 6

As far as a good picture goes, nowadays, that’s hard to do with the ability to simply put on a black hoodie and sweat pants with the hood up and a mask with sunglasses, a low billed cap.....a pair of gloves even and wala....you have the dressed version of the invisible man. The same thing we see every cold windy day at Wally World. Our everyday lives are very conducive to covert activities by those so a minded.

Edited by Randall53

Back in the late '90s I got to take a tour of the AT&T "Batman" building (then Bell South). The guy giving the tour said the big red bldg on 2nd Ave was one of 3 switching "hubs". This one, one in Atlanta, and one in (I think ) Raleigh or Charlotte. Losing 1 is a big outage. Losing 2 means virtually no telecom in the southeast. I suspect that in the 20+ years since then some other carriers have built independent networks so losing them may not be quite so catastrophic today, but I've long thought those 3 buildings would be prime targets for terrorism.

9 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Back in the late '90s I got to take a tour of the AT&T "Batman" building (then Bell South). The guy giving the tour said the big red bldg on 2nd Ave was one of 3 switching "hubs". This one, one in Atlanta, and one in (I think ) Raleigh or Charlotte. Losing 1 is a big outage. Losing 2 means virtually no telecom in the southeast. I suspect that in the 20+ years since then some other carriers have built independent networks so losing them may not be quite so catastrophic today, but I've long thought those 3 buildings would be prime targets for terrorism.

I would guess that... given the circumstance, a hard look will be given to place those facilities in a hardened environment.  They should be in bunker-buildings set back from public streets and right-of-ways.  Hindsight is 2020 (wow).

AT&T might find themselves speaking to Congress about this incident... and the vulnerabilities it exposed.  I'm not saying there is wrongdoing on AT&T's part - just that ... serving the public means helping AT&T be motivated to keep this data/telecom outage from being so easy to make happen.

Merry Christmas TGOr's.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

You guy have no idea how bad it could be. I've be hesitant to call the hot line for fear of being called a racist, but I've called it on occasion.  I have coworkers that refuse for fear of being fired. 

Please explain? Why are you guys calling a hotline? Which one?

I mean, unless of course any of you have actual evidence or input?

• Like 1