A brief explanation of my knife making.....

• Authorized Vendor

The hobby of mine is just that....a hobby. I feel in order to do this with any enjoyment and piece of mind I have to make (or attempt to make) something I am inspired to do. To make something with a certain shape, color etc. is work....something I retired from years ago.  I have a certain look, style that I aim for in every knife. I guess I make what I want cause it's what I need to do in order to want to walk out to the shop in the morning. I'll loosely call it an art form or craft. This coming year I have certain projects I feel I need to at least make a stab at.....pardon the pun. I hope that if I put a certain amount of time and effort into something most of you will see the difference in the end. That's my hope anyway. I intend to get better at the small things which in turn end up with a better piece.

Now this isn't to say I don't want or appreciate your ideas and suggestions  cause I  consider all of them. For example I can't get that brisket knife out of my head. I intend to attempt one using the tools and limited ability I have on hand while making it in a style of my own. 

I'm still going to make Bowies, smaller hunting knives and even Christmas like specials and whatever else gets my attention.  You all have been very supportive of this journey I'm on and appreciate it very, very much.

So if you're looking for something by all means let me know and I'll give you the most honest answer I can. Thanks again to the best group of people on the interwebz.

• Like 14

I like the way you look at knife making as a hobby, do it when you feel like "doing it" and don't when you don't feel like doing it.  That's what makes  the tasks of knife making a hobby, not a job.  Enjoy your hobby as much as you can, or want to.  I like your knives, and have bought 4, with  2 being gifts .  I've been told  the knives won't be used because they are "too nice" to use.  I feel like I gave a good gift, but still hope they will be used so I can get a report on them.  

• Like 1

I truly admire your knife making skills, and appreciate your willingness to offer them here for confiscatory prices.

I take a similar approach to my leather craft hobby. It almost became a second job a while back. That wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

• Like 1

I echo all that has been previously said, GT. Love your "work". Your art. Your hobby. Whatever you want to call it. I've had to pass on, or just missed, some of your recent work. But I still have this bowie knife on my mind.

I see the shorter bowie blades around 7/8 inches, with handles in the 5 inch range. For some reason, I envision a slightly larger version. Something approaching a 10 inch blade(I actually thought of a 12 inch, but not sure I could lift the sucker!).

Yes, I know this would truly be a beast of a blade, but that's what almost always comes to mind. 

I intend to do some research on size, blade and total length. Then get with you and see what you think. Oh, and jsut to make things really bizarre, the blade would be like the last bowie you offered here. That heavy, thick blade was just awesome!

Ok, I'll keep threatening you with my thoughts on it. I'd like to do it soon. Like maybe before we are all broke and Armageddon arrives.

A few other reasons as well. I sort of see this as a tribute to my brother-in-law. Tad always like big knives and Bowies in particular. 

• Like 2

The knife thread is almost always the first place I look to see your latest creation. I have 3 of your knives, one a large hunting style that is always with me on a hunt or just a hike in the woods. One of the smaller ones is on my belt often. They are all so much better than the knifes found in stores like BPS, Academy etc....or online stores. Absolutely no comparison. I’ll probably not buy anymore due to my limited income, but I love to look at your creations. 

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

I can say this about your knife making skills, in my book your great at it. You made me a few knives over the years and every one of them has been a homerun. The funny part is we've never met personally and you have built everyone of them by way of email and PM's here on this site just by me telling you what I thought and what design I came up with for them you always delivered. I also want to give a shout out to 1911alltheway for making the leather sheathes for them, also just by email and PM's . Keep up the great work and like I said after I get done with this medical issue I have, I want you to at least make me one more.