someone middle TN to spin a Win M70 CRF barrel off?

Is there someone local Nash area who has tools/fixture/skills to spin a Winchester Model 70 barrel off? 

I have an older match rifle that I want to re-purpose into a hunting rifle, so first step is spin the old heavy palma barrel off to check threads.

If the threads haven't been changed as part of last re-barrel, then I may look for a factory take-off barrel.

and I would prefer to not send it now with all the shipping delays and general crazy , but I also have heard the Winchester 'pre-64' controlled round feed actions are a little harder to work on. 

thanks ! 

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim

I have only removed one non-Savage barrel, and it was on a Remington. I applied several hundred ft-lbs of torque and it would not come loose. I used an abrasive disk to make relief cuts in the lug and the barrel came off by hand.  I recommend a Remage reinstallation, not a repurposed barrel. 
Charlie

Why in the world would you think someone had its 1" x 16 TPI threads changed.... Maybe I just dont understand what you mean. Never heard of such a thing.  The only difference between a pre 64 and newer control feeder is the rough finish and some dimensional changes for the bolt anti bind lump of the pre.  If your ever by Crossville, I can take it loose as long as I have a bushing for that barrel, freebe. Different story if I have to cut a bushing for that barrel diam or taper. 

thank you chuckstur, in this case I sure wouldn't mind cutting the old barrel off but I would prefer a non-Remage. thanks.   

xtriggerman,

I actually have two 'excess' older match rifles (a pre war + post 64 classic CRF) that I am looking at. I don't have any records but since were multiple re-barreled match rifles, my understanding is the threads may have been re-cut as part of a blueprint / truing process.  And I am sure not an expert,  but if recut then my thought of using a factory take-off barrel to make a hunting rifle might not work?   Both rifles have a lot of sentimental value to me but no collector value,  and I would like to hunt them...  I sincerely appreciate your offer, and may reach out to you to discuss later in year - thanks! 

Tim

OK, well maybe your right about re-cutting receiver threads. I'v never heard about it. From the way I was told in Gunsmith school, is the threads on the receivers are bored and cut in line with the bolt body bore. So when we built custom guns, a receiver would be chucked up on a bolt bore mandrel and turned on centers to only have the receiver's shoulder face trued up with the bolt bore. Re-cutting the threads to match bolt bore would be extremely tricky without a special set up on machined receivers like a M70. Thats one reason builders like those 700 Rem round stock receivers, They spin nice in a lathe .   🙂