Looking for a gun safe.

Snaveba

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't need/want fireproof the smaller Winchester safe that Tractor Supply sells isn't a bad deal. I have one upstairs for easy access. My big safe is in my shop. It isn't very heavy (2 people can easily handle it) so I recommend bolting to the floor and at least one wall. I bought velcro backed holster for lighter guns on the inside of the door, added a handgun rack to the shelf and put the wire gun hangers unde the shelf. They often go on sale.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-12-gun-ts12-30?cm_vc=-10005

Let me caution you on this size. Mark off the dimensions on the floor or a table.

55x18x15 is somewhat restrictive. You will lose a bit on the inside, not a great deal, but you will notice it. 

It says 12 long guns, but it might be very tight in getting them in there. And a single shelf? Will that hold all your handguns? Will you be storing ammo in it?

If at all possible for you, I recommend moving up to something like a 60x24x30.  Yes more cost, but you will gain a lot more space for your soon to grow collection.

You will never regret going larger in your safe.

hipower is right, it is a small safe. This was my first safe and by the time we moved to the free state of TN it was getting a little tight. I don't keep any ammo in it accept for some loaded magazines. It does make a nice closet safe and when/if you outgrow it, add a bigger safe in a different part of the house. The safe I have in my shop would not fit in the main part of the house if I wanted to stay married.

How many long guns it holds depends on the long guns. I have 10 in mine and it is full. None of my bulky guns are in this safe. Several lever guns, some .22s, and a 12g pump. I have room for 14 handguns in it as I have it setup and with a little rearranging I could fit a couple more in, but many are .22s and mouse guns. I keep the bigger handguns hanging from wire hangers or in a rack on the shelf, I don't trust the velcro holsters to hold big guns. 

I also don't like/trust electronic locks. When I bought my big safe I had it down to two that I liked, I bought this one because of the mechanical lock. I really liked the other one slightly better and didn't find out till later I could have special ordered it with a mechanical lock.

Archived