Any feedback on the FN509 Tactical?

zlaine90

I have an FNS and I think it's superior to the Glock, to be honest.  I also have a G17, I shoot the FNS a whole lot more and when I want to carry a big 9mm, that's the pistol that I go with.  FNH makes excellent firearms!  Just not a lot of accessoroes for them, if you are into that sort of thing.

Well, I've owned a G19X. Personally just couldn't seem to like it. Perhaps it was the slightly larger size of the grip. But sold it pretty quickly. No other issue with it. Have had other Glocks, usually G19s, that I've really liked.

As far as the FN pistols, like Glock, I think they are fine to excellent handguns.  has taken me a while to warm up to the different grip on the FN. I really didn't like the very aggressive texture on them initially. But have warmed up to them. A few have come and gone, but have an old FNS9 that I rather like. 

I think you'd be fine with either one. Both are excellent pistols. 

• Like 1

@Moped I'm not terribly concerned with the aftermarket support for the FN seeing as how it comes with all the "upgrades" I'd want. More concerned with reliability.

@hipower I hope to get my hands on one today to see how I like the grip texture. I prefer the smooth grips of the glocks and don't like the grip texture on the XDS at all. I'd like to think my hands aren't that soft!

• Administrator

I have owned two FN 509's and would own a Tactical right now too had I not talked myself into sticking with the Glock platform.  I am so deep into Gaston's anus pocket that it just didn't make sense for me to keep splintering my firearms ecosystem like that.  The 509 platform is just a fantastic one.

• Like 1

I sold all of my 509s earlier in the year.  I’m also a Glock guy.  Here’s what I didn’t like:

Trigger.  The factory FN trigger shoe is SLIPPERY.  The factory trigger pull isn’t terrible, but my bony fingers always ended up at the bottom of the trigger guard and constantly adjusting.  The Apex kit fixed that.  Installation was a pain with that one pin.  I actually snapped one and had to buy a $3 part with $8 shipping  

Mag prices- I think they are $40+ for mags.

Recoil.  Whenever I decide to get rid of a pistol series, I do a side by side comparison with a shot clock.  I don’t remember the splits, but they weren’t great compared to Glock or CZ, however better than Sig (dumped those too).  I think bore offset plays a role, but can’t confirm.  With the Tactical, that dot was bouncing all over the place.  I can run a red dot Glock as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Other than that, the 509 was 100% reliable and my Tactical ran great with and without a comp.  If you’re not fanatical about other platforms, you’ll be fine.

Edited by asu174

I have FNP45, FNX9, FNS9 compact and 509 tactical. They are all great guns that have always run flawlessly. The 509T does have a break in period with 115 grain ammo unless you switch to the lighter recoil spring that comes with it. It loves the heavier weight and +p ammo. Expensive mags aren't that big of a deal since it comes with one 17 round and two 24 round mags. It's a keeper for me.

• Like 1

One thing to be aware of if you reload, especially lead coated bullets.  The 509 has a very short throat and unless you seat the bullets fairly deeply in the case, say 1.080" or 1.090", they simply won't chamber.  And deepening the throat with a reamer is a no-go because of the nitride finish.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, asu174 said:

Mag prices- I think they are $40+ for mags.

I really believe that Glock made a low key genius move with its mag prices. Their OEM mags are about the cheapest of anybody. I think that those mag prices have had a bigger impact on their continued market dominance than anyone really gives them credit for. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I really believe that Glock made a low key genius move with its mag prices. Their OEM mags are about the cheapest of anybody. I think that those mag prices have had a bigger impact on their continued market dominance than anyone really gives them credit for. 

Agree.  I miss the days of new $14.99 OEM.

One of the first mags I bought was a NFML Glock “hi-cap” mag for $80 during the AWB in ‘03.  I never want to be stuck in that situation again, so I stock up.  Harder to do at $45 a pop. 

Edited by asu174
  • Like 2

I wonder...

Do you find yourself buying mags for something you don't own (yet) when you find a good price on them?

Or hanging on to a supply in a caliber you don't have a gun for anymore? Just in case you might buy one again?

Edited by hipower
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, hipower said:

I wonder...

Do you find yourself buying mags for something you don't own (yet) when you find a good price on them?

Or hanging on to a supply in a caliber you don't have a gun for anymore?

Too tempting.  I’d have the gun for the mags in a week and I’d lose my mind not not selling off ammo I can’t shoot.  Related to mags, one weird thing I do is justify a duplicate pistol purchase by pretending I’m paying for mags I would have bought for the other gun, anyhow.  So a $425 Blue Label Glock with 3 mags is really 3 $25 mags I would have bought and a new $350 Glock.  I don’t need a Glock, but a $350 Gen 5 Glock is a no-brainer...and I already have new mags for it.  🙂

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, asu174 said:

Too tempting.  I’d have the gun for the mags in a week and I’d lose my mind not not selling off ammo I can’t shoot.  Related to mags, one weird thing I do is justify a duplicate pistol purchase by pretending I’m paying for mags I would have bought for the other gun, anyhow.  So a $425 Blue Label Glock with 3 mags is really 3 $25 mags I would have bought and a new $350 Glock.  I don’t need a Glock, but a $350 Gen 5 Glock is a no-brainer...and I already have new mags for it.  🙂

Duplicate Pistols!!! Are you crazy Man!!!???😱

I would never consider such a thing. I also have some bridges to sell you.

PS I need on of those 350 G5 Glocks too. I have a few Glock mags. Just a few.

Edited by hipower

Well fellas, this thing followed me home last night thanks to Classic Arms. Grips aren't as rough as they appear in pictures and I particularly enjoy the placement of the slide release! Excited to slap an RMR on here for TaCtIcaL SiTuaTiOnS 🤣. Trigger leaves more to be desired but features a decently crisp break. Overall I'm happy I put down my bucket of Glock Kool-Aid, albeit for just a second. 

Thanks for all the constructive feedback!

2E213241-FE88-4601-A467-E122A8CF45B3.jpeg

Edited by zlaine90
  • Like 4
  • Administrator

I would dry fire that thing a LOT, with a snap-cap or other inert round in the chamber to protect the striker (a known weak point), before rushing toward the Apex trigger.  I took the Apex trigger out of both of mine eventually just because the factory trigger had gotten a lot better with use and I felt that it had a more pronounced reset and predictable feel.

I do have the Apex trigger installation jig if you get to the point of wanting to swap yours.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Oh... if you want to upgrade the striker on that 509T, let me know.  I have an Apex Tactical Heavy Duty striker here and a few extra OEM strikers.  Like I said, they are the only real weak point on that gun.  The Apex striker makes it a lot more durable.

33 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I would dry fire that thing a LOT, with a snap-cap or other inert round in the chamber to protect the striker (a known weak point), before rushing toward the Apex trigger.  I took the Apex trigger out of both of mine eventually just because the factory trigger had gotten a lot better with use and I felt that it had a more pronounced reset and predictable feel.

I do have the Apex trigger installation jig if you get to the point of wanting to swap yours.

Be sure to switch to the lighter recoil spring if shooting 115 grain bullets to avoid FTF while it's new. Good to go with either spring with 124 grain or bigger. You will love this pistol.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Tuffus said:

Be sure to switch to the lighter recoil spring if shooting 115 grain bullets to avoid FTF while it's new. Good to go with either spring with 124 grain or bigger. You will love this pistol.

I never had any issues with 115gr and the factory spring, but that is good to know.  I bet it would tame the snappiness that the 509 has until it breaks in, for sure.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Tuffus said:

22 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I never had any issues with 115gr and the factory spring, but that is good to know.  I bet it would tame the snappiness that the 509 has until it breaks in, for sure.

I've shot maybe 500-115g through my newly acquired 509 no FTF/stove piping at all....pretty sweet pistola...

Edited by Johnny Rotten
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

The lighter spring that comes extra in the bag with the tactical model is there for shooting with a suppressor. It worked better in mine with the lighter bullets until it was broken in well. Great shooter now with any ammo or spring.

• Like 2

Offering another data point. I was fine with original spring in my 509T from 115 thru 158gr with and without a can. Luck of the draw perhaps. Nice they offer it for those that may encounter the problem.

This is the best $20 you can spend for its generous spring rates. Works with or without the Apex bits. However I dont recommend the striker spring. It takes off big weight, but cant fire NATO spec primers reliably. IMO, if a striker gun ends up ammo picky with a given striker spring, dont use it.

https://www.mcarbo.com/fn-509-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

Enjoy your new toy.

• Like 1