Hypothetically speaking

Parrothead

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

A nice .22 target pistol.  Ruger or S&W Victory.  Not all handguns need a purpose, some are just for fun.

Agreed. You just can't be a .22 for fun. Every time I haul my vintage Remmy 552 to the range I'm 12 again.

I have 3 22 rifles, and gave a 4th new 10 22 to my youngest grandson in 2020. Also have 2 22magnums, although the magnum ammo is much more expensive if you can find it. Don't shoot the mags much because of the cost and availability. One mag is a Marlin bolt rifle with a 3X9X40 cheap Tasco  scope on it.  The other is a Taurus 8 shot mdl 917 with a 3"brl K frame size revolver.  I have 2 22LR handguns, one a S W mdl 317 9 shot 3" ultra ight  revolver and a Sig Mosquito semi-auto pistol. I use these tow to introduce new shooters into the shooting game. I find they work much better starting women shooting because the of the reduced recoil and sound. 

One can never have too many 22's on hand. Cheap to shoot, and much fun for cheap shooting and practice.  I agree with most here unless you need a specific gun to add to your brace.

My bucket list still has a 22 on it, a S W victory, or the latest model of the  Ruger Mark's. The last model Ruger is much easier to take apart and put back together.  I have always had a love affair with 22's. 

• Like 1

I agree with the earlier posts... a 22LR pistol (or rifle) is a great firearm to have. 

Another option that you might want to consider, given the times we live in, is a pocket gun.  Something that you can easily carry in your jacket pocket so that you may have it in your hand without anyone being the wiser.  I consider pocket guns to be "get the hell off of me" firearms for short range only.  I have a couple of NAA (North American Arms) 22LR/22Mag revolvers and a Keltech P32 pistol used for this purpose.  In the NAAs I use the 22LR cylinder for "practice" and carry with the 22 mag cylinder full of Speer Gold Dot - Short Barrel.  Out of the 1 inch barrel of the Pug, the 22 mag Speer gold Dots are about as loud as Glock 19 and have an average velocity of 932.18 fps.  I put quotes around the word practice as the NAAs are the toughest pistols I've owned to be accurate with at any distance.  I don't expect accuracy from pocket guns; they are for quick deployment at very short range. 

NAA BugOut II (left) and the NAA Pug (right):

BugOutIIvPug.JPG

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Let’s say you have the “basics” covered. Single stack carry, double stack carry, home defense and etc. you’ve got a 500-600 itching pocket, what are you buying? 

I would let the price of ammo determine what I scratched the itch with if I were going out today to buy.  But thats just me.

• Like 2

I'm getting close to enough .22s. I may be forgetting a couple but I think I have 7 handguns, 4 semi, 3 revolvers and 7 long guns including an S&W 15-22. All are fun for and get out on a regular bases. Cheap fun even at today's inflated ammo prices. I stocked up after the last shortage so I'm good for a long time.

A 22LR pistol is definitely on my list and next buy. Along with a new safe. 

Unfortunately my 21 year old refrigerator died on Wednesday so my expendable cash just went there. 

A fitting end to 2020.

At least it did not happen today. That would have been a ####ty way to start 2021. 

One of my favorite firearms, and the one most often shot, is a Model 18 Smith and Wesson 22LR revolver.

Most people, for whatever reason, will buy cheap 22. Don't. Get one you'll enjoy shooting. They are good, inexpensive practice. They are also good for introducing new shooters to the sport. Cheap ammo, low noise, and low recoil while maintaining the accuracy of their centerfire brethren make a quality 22 handgun well worth owning.

• Like 4

So many choices! Well SOME choices anyway. $5-600 would be hard choice nine months ago, limited now with inflated prices. Been wanting an 8 round 357 or a 44. either in 2 or 3 inch barrel. Just ran across a 2 inch 45 acp wheelgun today that would scratch the itch and work with the ammo I already have 🙂

but yeah,,,another 22 would be good. Maybe two. There is that Bearcat Shopkeeper on arms list been wanting to gift my wife.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:32 AM, FUJIMO said:

I would let the price of ammo determine what I scratched the itch with if I were going out today to buy.  But thats just me.

I agree. Ammo price & availability, would be my choice. JMHO

Despite the ammo issues, you got anything to reach out an touch someone at longer distances? I know ranges with longer distances are scare around here, but I think a long distance gun is always a good addition to the close up stuff. In honesty, I worry more about 200 yards if things go insane (even more than now) than 1000 yards really anyway. I favor the .308 or 30,06, but the whole 6.5 series would be viable too. The total price all depends on how much you insist on dropping on glass. I am not a $1200 scope guy. So something like this might get you intro'ed with a small investment. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/savage-arms-axis-ii-xp-308-winchester-bolt-action-rifle-117414856#repChildCatid=6160609

Another option:

You could go for a classic and still check off the .22lr box that I agree with

Savage 24 .22lr over 20ga

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888546081

3rd option that settles in the middle. A lever gun. Choose your favorite caliber. .22lr, .22mag, 30-30, ..45-70, .444 Marlin, 44mag, or .357mag. Henry even makes a ,223 version now, but I think that exceeds your budget. 

On 12/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, Parrothead said:

Let’s say you have the “basics” covered. Single stack carry, double stack carry, home defense and etc. you’ve got a 500-600 itching pocket, what are you buying? 

A used Henry in either .357 or .44

I would be interested in finding a used S&W 686 or a ruger gp100. A good wheel gun is on my list, but the reality is that I'm probably gonna buy ammo and magazines and maybe another couple of steel targets for my range. Or maybe I'll make and SBR, 200 for the stamp and 400 to finish an upper in 7.62x39. 

Edited by JunkiCosmonaut
  • Like 1