Favorite Military Hero?

3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

You may equate the award with how many of the enemy that he killed, but I equate it with how many men on our side that lived because of his actions.

Good point, but my comment was based on the actual citation I read. And this was WWI, when conserving the lives of their own men was hardly a concern of the men in charge. "American Caesar" a biography of Douglas McArthur is quite a tome, but it's worth reading. The accounts of WWI actions were eye opening, to say the least.

1 minute ago, Darrell said:

Good point, but my comment was based on the actual citation I read. And this was WWI, when conserving the lives of their own men was hardly a concern of the men in charge. "American Caesar" a biography of Douglas McArthur is quite a tome, but it's worth reading. The accounts of WWI actions were eye opening, to say the least.

Yes, around that time there was a movement from the mindset of troops being just cannon fodder, but I kind of think of that as being more of a product of the officer's corps rather than the politicians. If you think about it, it wasn't too long before that time that the officers were lining their troops up in rows to face the enemy out in the open with the officers standing behind the wall of troops - giving them an extra measure of safety. To my knowledge, politicians weren't the ones writing letters to the family of the fallen telling them how their son died gloriously on the field of battle, but I think that came out a a sense of not wanting a mother's sacrifice to look like it was inconsequential. And many politicians of the time were once officers in the military. You also have to keep in mind that the military came out of a cast system that is still reflected in the military of today. Example: saluting officers. IMO, rank shouldn't be determined by the level of education because I've known some educated idiots - including in the military. I believe that today as a very educated man just as much as I did when I was a high school graduate in the Marine Corps.

My grandfather, John Conroy- who passed over 3 years ago at 99 years of age.  He tended to tell lighter stories about his experiences as a sergeant in the US Army's 1st Armored Division, from north Africa, up through Italy. Mainly interesting places he saw, or trading his cigarettes for chocolate and candy (he never drank nor smoked).  But a couple times in my life, he talked a little of some tougher times and battles such as being pinned down for months in Anzio, or the battle against Rommel's 21st Panzer Division in Africa . 

image.png.01e76799b2cccaeb6d1ddbb8f6755fc4.png

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...