Gunbroker has gone insane!

gregintenn

Yeah, it looks like 3 or 4 guys are in a bidding war. Which I don’t understand either, why they keep bumping the bid up; but whatever.

But what do I know? I stuck my toe in the GB water last week. I put a couple of small items up just trying to get some positive reviews. Listed them with a starting bid under half of what everyone else was selling them for; no joy, they didn’t sell. 😢

Yeah now add sales tax to that $5000+ bid, that's why I closed my Gunbroker acct. I'm not going to pay TN 9.25% on a $1000+ gun that can't be ordered locally through  an FFL. and only found on  Gunbroker. I've bought a few Les Baer TRS's and two Wilson CQBE's, on there but not now.

22 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

Yeah now add sales tax to that $5000+ bid, that's why I closed my Gunbroker acct. I'm not going to pay TN 9.25% on a $1000+ gun that can't be ordered locally through  an FFL. and only found on  Gunbroker. I've bought a few Les Baer TRS's and two Wilson CQBE's, on there but not now.

Not all vendors are charging sales tax. I got a email from GB a few days ago saying effective 1 Jan 2021 Gunbrokers will be collecting sales tax from buyers of these states: Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Nebraska, New Jersey, Nevada.

I was not charged sales tax from a PA dealer on the Desert Eagle I just purchased a couple of days ago. But smart money suggests all states that have sales tax will be on the list as time goes on.

As far as 94's go, I think the least expensive one made today has a MSRP of roughly $1200.

It’s always been a little insane, it’s just that its been off it’s meds for most of a year.

I expect the show will get even more entertaining in the next couple months. 

I would be really curious what the total volume of dollars sold thru GB the last year.  

46 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I guessing that there's something special about this rifle/model/ year/ etc that only a serious Winchester collectors would know. Only reason I can think of to explain those bids. 🙄

That's the thing....to my knowledge, there is nothing whatsoever special about that rifle. it is a run of the mill 94 carbine made in the late 50's. There are scads of them out there.

My take on GB is there is no real rhyme or reason, sometimes a seller gets two guys going at it and lucks out. Most of the time, these types of bidders tend to have low feedback.

I recently sold a new Marlin 30-30 factory scoped rifle with its box. It was made around 2011. Pre pandemic they ran $700 full retail with dealers selling at mid 400's. Nothing special other than it might have had a couple more steel parts compared to polymer on recent production.

In checking GB, only one Marlin 30-30 was listed and it was identical with a very close serial number. Also NIB. It was sitting @ 750 with about 9 days left. Same scenario,  couple guys bidding when it stalled 9 days out. 

I went ahead and listed mine on a 7 day to end before that one. Low starting with a BIN of $800 thinking the other was had to e mostly run out, and one of its bidders may do the BIN to be done with it. Surely that other one couldnt go much over 800 if the current bidders jockeyed for it in the end. 

Mine sold the day of listing at the BIN and it was not one of the bidders from the other Marlin. I was happy. But I did the thing I should not have done....watched how that other one ended. It stayed @ $750 until the final day.

One the final day 2 bidders ran it up to $1500 !!  For a run of the mill recent production gun that most would not see as desirable. Most of all not on any politicians endangered list.

These two guys were both low count and all I could figure was they got caught up in the bidding frenzy or thought others would not be coming along. I'd bet many dont know how to check prior sales to note these are still coming in with dealers selling them on GB for around retail.

Strange times. But if one is inclined to reduce inventory, its a good time to sell.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Possumslayer said:

You think gb is crazy now? Wait till the 21st!

I thought the same thing. But with yesterdays events; no need to wait. So much for gun prices possibly dropping back to reality or ammo being available.

I would speculate that with current events, manufacturers may be able to justify the capital expenditures they couldn’t justify before. Americans on both sides and from all walks of life will be arming themselves.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I thought the same thing. But with yesterdays events; no need to wait. So much for gun prices possibly dropping back to reality or ammo being available.

I would speculate that with current events, manufacturers may be able to justify the capital expenditures they couldn’t justify before. Americans on both sides and from all walks of life will be arming themselves.

I would guess that yesterday would bump prices up more.

we’ll see in a few days 

On 1/6/2021 at 12:22 PM, RandyB said:

Not all vendors are charging sales tax. I got a email from GB a few days ago saying effective 1 Jan 2021 Gunbrokers will be collecting sales tax from buyers of these states: Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Nebraska, New Jersey, Nevada.

I was not charged sales tax from a PA dealer on the Desert Eagle I just purchased a couple of days ago. But smart money suggests all states that have sales tax will be on the list as time goes on.

As far as 94's go, I think the least expensive one made today has a MSRP of roughly $1200.

Bills outpost in Alcoa TN had a new one for 950 last week. It was pretty sweet. If I wasn't so stubborn and dead set, I'd have bought it. 

On 1/6/2021 at 7:52 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I guessing that there's something special about this rifle/model/ year/ etc that only a serious Winchester collectors would know. Only reason I can think of to explain those bids. 🙄

It’s my birth year!😁

Not a rifle search. but I've been looking a pistol prices and availability the last few weeks. High prices and low to non-existent stock.

Was looking for Taurus38/357 2" revolvers. I never thought with all the Taurus bashing over the last few decades...they would be difficult to find. lol!

Well, they aren't extinct yet, but darn close! Went thru my usual sources of info and found a few. Not the models I was looking for, but will do for my purposes.

Almost every dealer/distributor has page after page of OUT OF STOCK on the listings. I did put in several notify when in stock notes. Maybe the one(s) I wanted will appear before it's too late.

I did find that the Rock Island M206 and the Armscor 200 can be had for a while, but for how long.

The only dislike for me is the Colt style cyclinder release on them. Maybe I can get to like it. The SS 4" 22WMR sure looks interesting.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

Just to clarify. Gunbroker isn't crazy. It's the bidders. Marlin was sold and some of their rifles are in short supply so the entire line gets a bump. Think of it from a new gunner's view, a non-enthusiast to say. You've heard Marlin was sold, some of their products are hard to get, others are desirable due to higher quality, lever guns have seen a resurgence in popularity. Add in the new person wants something non offensive to the rest of the non shooters and the powers that be and prices go up. there are still deals to be had if you know how to look.

I have noticed a higher level of price gouging on ammo from GB but if you want top dollar you want to get your product in front of as many eyes as possible.

• Like 2
On 1/8/2021 at 10:41 PM, hipower said:

Not a rifle search. but I've been looking a pistol prices and availability the last few weeks. High prices and low to non-existent stock.

Was looking for Taurus38/357 2" revolvers. I never thought with all the Taurus bashing over the last few decades...they would be difficult to find. lol!

Well, they aren't extinct yet, but darn close! Went thru my usual sources of info and found a few. Not the models I was looking for, but will do for my purposes.

Almost every dealer/distributor has page after page of OUT OF STOCK on the listings. I did put in several notify when in stock notes. Maybe the one(s) I wanted will appear before it's too late.

I did find that the Rock Island M206 and the Armscor 200 can be had for a while, but for how long.

The only dislike for me is the Colt style cyclinder release on them. Maybe I can get to like it. The SS 4" 22WMR sure looks interesting.

I looked at two Taurus 85s and a 856.  All three are nice pistols. I was particularly impressed with the 856, which was a 6 shot 3” barrel at 24 ozs.

I also checked out a Taurus TX-22. I really liked it too! All of them were at good prices too.

Edited by Moped
46 minutes ago, Moped said:

I looked at two Taurus 85s and a 856.  All three are nice pistols. I was particularly impressed with the 856, which was a 6 shot 3” barrel at 24 ozs.

I also checked out a Taurus TX-22. I really liked it too! All of them were at good prices too.

The 856 3'' barrel model seems to be THE one. lol Sold out everywhere I could check. I'm still looking for one myself.