Gunbroker has gone insane!

gregintenn

16 minutes ago, hipower said:

The 856 3'' barrel model seems to be THE one. lol Sold out everywhere I could check. I'm still looking for one myself.

If I don’t buy it I’ll let you know we’re it’s at.  If it were .357, I’d have done bought it. I’m looking for a .357 to carry when hiking. Currently I carry S&W 442. I’m not sure a 3” 38spl would be a big improvement over the 442.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, papa61 said:

Just to clarify. Gunbroker isn't crazy. It's the bidders. Marlin was sold and some of their rifles are in short supply so the entire line gets a bump. Think of it from a new gunner's view, a non-enthusiast to say. You've heard Marlin was sold, some of their products are hard to get, others are desirable due to higher quality, lever guns have seen a resurgence in popularity. Add in the new person wants something non offensive to the rest of the non shooters and the powers that be and prices go up. there are still deals to be had if you know how to look.

I have noticed a higher level of price gouging on ammo from GB but if you want top dollar you want to get your product in front of as many eyes as possible.

sounds like comic book speculators on ebay. as soon as someone is mentioned or set to appear in a move or tv show some c lister charaters first appearance shoots to the moon even though for decades it sat in the dollar bin.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, hipower said:

The 856 3'' barrel model seems to be THE one. lol Sold out everywhere I could check. I'm still looking for one myself.

Went back to my LGS and the 856 was gone. I went with my backup plan and picked up a Taurus TX22 along with a third mag for $320 out the door.

Crazy is as crazy does. I bought some .458 350 grain bullets for $18 a bag (100) 10-12 years ago. Good bullets for the 45-70. Tried to sell them locally for cheap and not one taker. I listed them on Gunbrokers with an opening bid of $9.99. Today the bid is up to over $160.

• Like 2

Cross posting this to events.

we have hundreds of thousands of new gun owners in the US. They are panic buying ammo to go with panic bought firearms. I understand their panic, I even sympathize. But I refuse to join the folly. I looked at ammo today on GB and found 30-30 that I bought two months ago for $16 a box bid to over $80. For a box of 20? really? I would like to have a better stash but I have what I need. Stop feeding these speculators who are cutting off our supply only to try to gouge us. where do you think they are buying theirs? when they stop selling because we stop buying from them the ammo will return to the shelves where it was destined to be.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, AuEagle said:

525 rds 22 LR HP Ammo 22LR .22 LR .22LR 22 .22LR .22lr .22LR 22 - Pistol Ammunition at GunBroker.com : 889332834

SURELY no one is really going to pay fifty cents a round (plus shipping!) for .22 ammo!!!! Could some of these stupid-high bids be people who are just screwing with the sellers? 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Darrell said:

SURELY no one is really going to pay fifty cents a round (plus shipping!) for .22 ammo!!!! Could some of these stupid-high bids be people who are just screwing with the sellers? 

Looking at recent ended auctions it will get worse before it gets better. There are those that will pay that if they have a 22 firearm and zero ammo. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Fuji is spot on imho.

I've recent;y viewed some completed auctions on GB as well. People can be desperate.

Some of us may be a bit jaded, as we've been through these cycles before, and prepared for such.But folks new to our passion may not have had the benefit of that foresight.

I don't have as much empathy for those that have been through the cycles before and simply chose not to prepare. They have to own that. But I think that is a small minority of what we see going on.

Of course, there are those simply trying to turn a buck. But I don't really think that's behind what we're seeing here. Folks are anxious, and rightfully so.

Just my ever devaluing $0.02 worth

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Darrell said:

One would hope not, I've thought the same thing, just a ruse.

However, I remember people paying  $75-$100 for Pmags when zer0 was president.

Crazy stuff indeed.

I guess when it hits $1.00 a round for .22 I'll let go of a 525 pack.  Geez, I hate this!  I used to be just fine with going to the range and shooting 100 rounds of whatever. Now I'm trying to just shoot enough to keep current. It sucks.

• Like 1

Like I said, I sympathize with new owners trying to build a supply. I bought a .300 Blackout a few months back and still trying to build that. But I will buy at reasonable prices. Even bought a different caliber pistol in case my preferred caliber wasn't available. Thought I had things covered with reloading equipment but I didn't get the needed primers so my press is dusty. Live and learn. I have enough ammo, I just can't shoot because it isn't readily available to replace what I burn.

6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Where is the money coming from?

If we have learned anything in the last 9-12 months you don't need money when you have credit. Just run it up and wait for someone to forgive you for being an irresponsible dumbass in life. Personal responsibility? Soooo last gen !

• Like 4
2 hours ago, papa61 said:

Like I said, I sympathize with new owners trying to build a supply. I bought a .300 Blackout a few months back and still trying to build that. But I will buy at reasonable prices. Even bought a different caliber pistol in case my preferred caliber wasn't available. Thought I had things covered with reloading equipment but I didn't get the needed primers so my press is dusty. Live and learn. I have enough ammo, I just can't shoot because it isn't readily available to replace what I burn.

Always have something odd. I have a 25-20. Very few people have or shoot that cal. I also use Quickload to develop loads with powder people wouldn't normally use. For instance, I don't shoot Varget or H4350 in anything. 

I use to browse GunBroker most nights for 30 minutes or so but haven't been on in a couple of months, not worth even looking. Glad the last to handguns I wanted were ones no one in their right mind would want for self defence and still got a reasonable deal and they are .22s and I have plenty that I would rather shoot than sell.

• Like 2

A friend went to the Lebanon gun show Saturday and said one of the most expensive .308 ammo there was Wolf. Really? That was the ammo that you bought when you just wanted to go bang bang  whenever. He said he saw it for $1.75 rd. He saw a guy and his wife had bought 4 cases.  I won't buy ammo that I can't afford to shoot.  "Stupid is as stupid does". 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

A friend went to the Lebanon gun show Saturday and said one of the most expensive .308 ammo there was Wolf. Really? That was the ammo that you bought when you just wanted to go bang bang  whenever. He said he saw it for $1.75 rd. He saw a guy and his wife had bought 4 cases.  I won't buy ammo that I can't afford to shoot.  "Stupid is as stupid does". 

panic makes people stupid.

I don't care what the "experts" say, I won't use steel cased ammo. I haven't SEEN Wolf brass case, so, non-starter.