Revolver Gear going the way of the Dodo

JimHouchin

Guys I've been out of the loop for five years getting my little one raised up. Now that she's in school I figured it was time to dust off an old Wheel or get a new one! Go get a membership a the range and start up some IDPA fun. I see "everyone" talking about the resurgence of the revolver, and how everyone loves them now. What I guess they don't love is gear and grips!!! Many of the grip makers are out of business or going that way. Seems like comp tac, ready tactical and other kydex makers have all but abandoned making holsters and speedload/moon clip holders. 

We've got some strong holds like Speedbeez, Altamont and Eagle, but choices are getting slimmer and slimmer. Who's stepping up on the wheel gun side and how long before there really isn't any choices for us out there?

BTW, if you're keeping score I've got a Smith M21 44 special headed my way with a Kramer Paddle holster, versacarry belt, pouches from deSantis and Safariland Comp I speedloaders. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Why are you discussing revolvers and Kydex at the same time?

Well a lot of the competition gear has been made of plastic for some time now. Including revolver gear.  Yeah, I know, the thought of a wheelgun in anything other than quality leather irritates me too. But that's just how it is. 🙄

The only revolver competition I ever shot was some IDPA in the revolver class. There you use ordinary carry gear. So that was fine with me as I use leather.

But we have to face the fact that the times, they are a changin'.  Damn near everything is plastic now, including the guns. 😟

You can still find good revolver gear out there. You just have to look a little harder. 😉

Jim, I'm a big fan of the .44 Special cartridge and the S&W revolvers made to shoot it. I expect to see pics of that Model 21 when you get it. 😉

Wondered where you went Jim. You use to burn it up with a wheel gun at the steamplant matches aka, the old Gallatin Gun Club. Of course they've moved to Macon County, north of Hartsville. 

Now called MTSA, 175 Dry Branch Road, Dixon Springs, Tennessee 37057

There shooting IDPA 1st Saturday of the month. There's still a couple wheel gun guys there.

BTW, you don't have to be a member to shoot the matches.

Edited by 221 Fireball
32 minutes ago, 221 Fireball said:

Wondered where you went Jim. You use to burn it up with a wheel gun at the steamplant matches aka, the old Gallatin Gun Club. Of course they've moved to Macon County, north of Hartsville. 

There shooting IDPA 1st Saturday of the month. There's still a couple wheel gun guys there.

Welcome back Jim!

I think 3 were shooting revolver at that match.  4 if King wouldn't have wussed out.  

3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Well a lot of the competition gear has been made of plastic for some time now. Including revolver gear.  Yeah, I know, the thought of a wheelgun in anything other than quality leather irritates me too. But that's just how it is. 🙄

The only revolver competition I ever shot was some IDPA in the revolver class. There you use ordinary carry gear. So that was fine with me as I use leather.

But we have to face the fact that the times, they are a changin'.  Damn near everything is plastic now, including the guns. 😟

You can still find good revolver gear out there. You just have to look a little harder. 😉

Jim, I'm a big fan of the .44 Special cartridge and the S&W revolvers made to shoot it. I expect to see pics of that Model 21 when you get it. 😉

Thanks for saving me! 🙂 

44 minutes ago, 221 Fireball said:

I'm back ... i think?! Either way, I will for sure hit up some matches on that side of town in the near future. We ended up on the other side of Bellevue. 

12 minutes ago, ac3boyz said:

Welcome back Jim!

I think 3 were shooting revolver at that match.  4 if King wouldn't have wussed out.  

If you like that you'll LOVE this ...

King Kong loosing his $4.99 IWB holster sock by shooting it off the gun!!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Why are you discussing revolvers and Kydex at the same time?

I carry my S&W 442 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC every now and then. Need a Kydex for IWB carry too.  Right now, I use a DeSantis Super Tuck. It’s ok. Leather is pretty, but not as practical as Kydex.

While not competition oriented, I recently received an AIWB Kydex from Tony at JM Custom Kydex for my 4" 686 S&W.

It's darn nice and actually allows me to comfortably carry and conceal this revolver.

FWIW this 686 was my original carry gun in the late 1980's. I carried in leather at the time, but I'm really impressed with what Tony was able to do.

Great vid @JimHouchin!

I promise Tony's holster won't give you guys that problem LOL

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Moped said:

I carry my S&W 442 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC every now and then. Need a Kydex for IWB carry too.  Right now, I use a DeSantis Super Tuck. It’s ok. Leather is pretty, but not as practical as Kydex.

You need the "clipDraw" it's the BOMB for a jframe!

https://www.amazon.com/ClipDraw-Concealed-Carry-Frame-Revolvers/dp/B00T1A8YAS/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/136-9213827-8396962?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00T1A8YAS&pd_rd_r=a70a6ae3-2ffe-445a-b61a-715b379d8313&pd_rd_w=fuosi&pd_rd_wg=unfB9&pf_rd_p=f325d01c-4658-4593-be83-3e12ca663f0e&pf_rd_r=NN6ADCHF4HCJCSQ6WW9J&psc=1&refRID=NN6ADCHF4HCJCSQ6WW9J

• Like 2

Revolvers are having, or needing, a resurgence?? I didn’t get the notification. 🙃

Altamont Grips is going strong. But we have lost the original S&W factory grips, and Ahrends Grips.

I don’t know how any self respecting gun owner could even consider Kydex for a holster; but it certainly is an option. There are plenty of leather options available from cheap junk to quality holsters. But of course leather holsters cost more than plastic ones.

Since CRB, I’ve only added one gun. It’s a S&W model 610. I don’t foresee adding anything else soon as the prices are crazy.

Almost all my carry guns are Semi-autos. But I certainly love my revolvers, and a revolver holds the #1 place in my home defense.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Revolvers are having, or needing, a resurgence?? I didn’t get the notification. 🙃

Altamont Grips is going strong. But we have lost the original S&W factory grips, and Ahrends Grips.

I don’t know how any self respecting gun owner could even consider Kydex for a holster; but it certainly is an option. There are plenty of leather options available from cheap junk to quality holsters. But of course leather holsters cost more than plastic ones.

Since CRB, I’ve only added one gun. It’s a S&W model 610. I don’t foresee adding anything else soon as the prices are crazy.

Almost all my carry guns are Semi-autos. But I certainly love my revolvers, and a revolver holds the #1 place in my home defense.

I'm not a huge leather fan.  Got a couple of them and hardly ever use them. that Super tuck gets the most use and I still find it hard to reholster that little J-frame.  Leather stretches, when i gets wet. Kydex doesn't. Kydex is lighter. I've even gone to favoring kydex for my belt knives.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

You must not get out much? As it's all over about how GREAT wheels are now, and how we shouldn't dismiss them.

Don't forget about Craig Spiegel. If you want some of his grips you've got a two year wait!

Well, I'm not sure you "know" me, but I'm a self respecting gun owner that likes Kydex for IDPA and Kramer and DeSantis for carry. I just love when people put you down for not thinking in the same way!

Lastly.... the 610 is a fantastic gun! It's the next one on the list right after the 21 gets here.

Over and out! 

7 hours ago, JimHouchin said:

You need the "clipDraw" it's the BOMB for a jframe!

I tried it and hated it.  The gun was constantly changing position and angle with every movement. A couple of times I got up and found the gun on my seat and I never even felt it come loose. I didn't use it for long. 🙄

I have the Clip Draws on 2 of my LCRs and love 'em. Especially because with the LCRs they don't impede the use of a pocket holster.

I've never tried the longer ones that fit a J Frame.901336272_LCR38Clipdrawholster.thumb.jpg.4fb065deba2f3a998105a266c4a74963.jpg2051345715_WernerSetupsnubby.JPG.cc3353f077ef6cfcad7d2b9fcd6d76f2.JPG

I've used the Barami Hip grip on my 640 Smith since the early 90's. They work great with a JCMK holster I have as well as an old Mika pocket holster (of which I've had several).

Pardon the crummy J Frame pic...it's an older photo...

J Frame July 2019.jpg

Edited by Jamie Jackson
I'm a technotard...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/6/2021 at 5:56 PM, JimHouchin said:

We've got some strong holds like Speedbeez, Altamont and Eagle, but choices are getting slimmer and slimmer. Who's stepping up on the wheel gun side and how long before there really isn't any choices for us out there?

Its out there. Although it looks like Hogue makes a majority of the grips these days. I'm kinda partial to the X frame overmoulded on all my N frames. You can still get Big Butts.

I use these 2 places along with SpeedBeez

https://tkcustom.com/     

https://www.revolversupply.com/

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 4:56 PM, JimHouchin said:

Guys I've been out of the loop for five years getting my little one raised up. Now that she's in school I figured it was time to dust off an old Wheel or get a new one! Go get a membership a the range and start up some IDPA fun. I see "everyone" talking about the resurgence of the revolver, and how everyone loves them now. What I guess they don't love is gear and grips!!! Many of the grip makers are out of business or going that way. Seems like comp tac, ready tactical and other kydex makers have all but abandoned making holsters and speedload/moon clip holders. 

BTW, if you're keeping score I've got a Smith M21 44 special headed my way with a Kramer Paddle holster, versacarry belt, pouches from deSantis and Safariland Comp I speedloaders. 

At least I got my ammo sorted out.... 1400 rounds so far and counting! (please don't ask the cost!!! 🙂 ) And for those keeping score I have four hostler on the way, three leather and one in the DREDDED kydex. Will post when I receive them. (If you have a keen eye you can see the DeSantis Split Sixes and a speed strip loaded up and ready to go.)

*EDIT* Incase you wondered what I landed on as far as Wheels go... the S&W M21-4 44 special 

20210202_151336.jpg

20210202_153029.jpg

20210202_152928.jpg

Edited by JimHouchin
  • Like 4