Gun control article on NY Times

The damage is done. With the Libs holding House, Senate and White House the NFA change will fly through regardless what the people want.

States rights and personal strategy are the only cards we hold at this point. Not a hard decision to back your state when the federal government considers you a felon for not NFAing your firearms.

6 hours ago, partypilot1 said:
This is the most likely path 

These left shills posing as pseudo experts with some kind of credentials to give an air of authority are something.  Scanned it for giggles and it did not disappoint. Nice artful interlacing of fact, partial facts, and some inaccuracies factual liberties.  Putting "most" gun owners want more controls right up seems a bit transparent, and made me question the actual audience. Tactical flaw maybe.

Inferring gun nuts buy a 6920 expressly because an autosear just drops right in.....hilarious.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Anytime I can teach a new person to shoot, I do it. Their political beliefs don't matter. We need more people in our camp, not less. 

I don’t think politics have ever come up when speaking with someone interested in learning to shoot. After taming my excitement, we talk about their needs and expectations, then set a date. The new shooter is usually friends or family so I start them with dry fire on my iTarget.

• Like 4
On 1/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, Links2k said:

I think covid, the economy, infrastructure and getting kids back in school will the biggest things on Biden’s plate. I don’t believe they will have time to even consider gun control measures prior to mid terms unless there is a mass shooting. 

Fresh from California here, you sir are wrong. They will attempt to chisel, hammer, poke, scrape, and eventually demolish your gun rights ASAP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ACfixer said:

Fresh from California here, you sir are wrong. They will attempt to chisel, hammer, poke, scrape, and eventually demolish your gun rights ASAP.

I suppose I’m a bit more optimistic.  I believe there  are far too many pressing issues to deal with besides 2A issues. Just like with previous administrations, I believe this administration will only concern itself with gun bans if a gun owner goes out and shoots up a building full of innocents. 

They have to deal with Covid, the economy, mending relationships with our allies, infrastructure, walking Iran back on nukes, Taiwan and a boatload of other issues. I don’t believe 2A issues will be on the radar unless we put them  on the radar. 

I’m not a single issue voter. When I vote my biggest concern isn’t the government taking our guns.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I don’t think politics have ever come up when speaking with someone interested in learning to shoot. After taming my excitement, we talk about their needs and expectations, then set a date. The new shooter is usually friends or family so I start them with dry fire on my iTarget.

I liken it to teaching someone to drive but with more consequences. Tons of parallels with new drivers, rules, safety, and car selection.  When you get someone who questions, its an analogy they can relate to.

I avoid politics for the most part, outside emphasizing I expect them to examine current laws and how it effects their plans or intended use, keeping mindful that they are subject to change. I don't think you can effect most basic views as they are set as they get older, so that is pointless and a frustration to both parties.  

However I do ask, why they want to own a gun and their motivation if they are older. You have to access how open they are and willing listen to the voice of reason and experience. This is especially critical with family. Like spouses, familiarity leads to a tendency to discount advice or assign more credence to that of acquaintances. Those who are married I am sure can relate.

Its a fair question. I don't judge the why, as much as it helps decide what their influences were, and how best to approach method and instruction.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Erich said:

I liken it to teaching someone to drive but with more consequences. Tons of parallels with new drivers, rules, safety, and car selection.  When you get someone who questions, its an analogy they can relate to.

I avoid politics for the most part, outside emphasizing I expect them to examine current laws and how it effects their plans or intended use, keeping mindful that they are subject to change. I don't think you can effect most basic views as they are set as they get older, so that is pointless and a frustration to both parties.  

However I do ask, why they want to own a gun and their motivation if they are older. You have to access how open they are and willing listen to the voice of reason and experience. This is especially critical with family. Like spouses, familiarity leads to a tendency to discount advice or assign more credence to that of acquaintances. Those who are married I am sure can relate.

Its a fair question. I don't judge the why, as much as it helps decide what their influences were, and how best to approach method and instruction.

Good points. Once I get them convinced that they can hit the side of a barn, I encourage the new gun lover to practice and get some training. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, partypilot1 said:
This is the most likely path 

Extensive amount of information in this. Mostly accurate, but the writer's evident bias towards semi-auto rifles doesn't sit well with me.

He comes across as much a firearms control person as any I've read.

His assumption that we need more arbitrary regulations and NFA control are not for me, and I think many here if you read it.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, hipower said:

Mostly accurate, but the writer's evident bias towards semi-auto rifles doesn't sit well with me.

He also seems to think it's a bad thing that a semi-auto, particularly AR-style rifles, will hold up to rapid fire. A lot of us have purchased that style of rifle specifically for self-defense. He argues that an AR isn't good for self-defense, but I choose to make my own decisions when it comes to the safety of my family and me.

• Like 4
Just now, Darrell said:

He also seems to think it's a bad thing that a semi-auto, particularly AR-style rifles, will hold up to rapid fire. A lot of us have purchased that style of rifle specifically for self-defense. He argues that an AR isn't good for self-defense, but I choose to make my own decisions when it comes to the safety of my family and me.

Right. There are many points of conflict in this article. I just picked the most obvious to me.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, hipower said:

Dan Bongino just posted to FB( at least I just saw it). Asking for people to join Parler. Says it's important to do so. As it will be only a short time before FB starts closing down all who disagree with them.

Said more, but that's the core of his message.

Parlor is toast and the 1st amendment is right behind I’m sure. Amazon shut them down and kicked them off of their server as of tonight I believe. I wonder how long until forums that don’t fit the democrat ideology will follow? Silencing your opposition is the first step to the end of freedom isn’t it? Biden and the democrats are sure working hard to “bring us all together” aren’t they?......sounds more like a big “OR ELSE” is in there somewhere.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, ACfixer said:

Ahhhh I just realized you are an anti-trumpster. Yeah, I'm sure Joe Biden has a lot of good stuff he wants to do, mostly get spoon fed oatmeal by his puppetmaster Xi. UNLESS WE put 2A issues on the radar? Like you and I, if one of us has a mass shooting escapade? Right... as if any gun control has ever stopped a single crime. It cracks me up you think Biden is capable of doing anything, again, he's a fool puppet dancing to the tune whistled by those that hate us.

1. I’m just anti Trump, not pro Biden. I’m sincere in my belief that Biden/Harris will have too much on their plates to start their administration off toying with gun owners. 
2. I don’t believe gun control stops crime. I do believe that talking about gun control puts a lot of money in peoples pockets. When I said we, I meant any person in possession of a gun. You can’t be a mass shooter without a gun. I do believe that anti gun politicians have their constituents on their behinds as much as pro gun politicians catch hell for not being stronger in their stances. So the politicians will perpetually be whipping up their sides. Gun control is bad business for both parties, but business is booming when  it comes to both sides scaring people.  
3. I really don’t care who is feeding Biden oatmeal. Most of the politicians on both sides are being spoon fed cash by lobbyists, so for the puppet masters and politicians it will be business as usual. 

I’ll let you in on a secret, some people have other priorities and expectations from their politicians than 2A issues. If you are fortunate enough to be a single issue voter congratulations. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, hipower said:

Extensive amount of information in this. Mostly accurate...

Actually there is a lot of factual error, but its inter-dispersed with other opinions rooted in some factual basis for him give to give it the appearance of not being complete  left rhetoric .

Its the lefts argument against the extreme rights take. He IS hardcore left guy, using partial facts as smoke and mirrors to get guys to say, hey he’s sounds like he has a lot of info and facts do thru dont question the BS opinion. 
I saw a number of non facts or lies to support his Position, that  non gun people wouldn’t know better. I assumed Gun folks would, but maybe not. 
Off the top of my head, I’ll pick two.

1. Gun nuts buy 6920 Colts since you can drop in an auto sear. Complete BS. The pocket is not machine for a mil spec auto sear, and the web prevents a DIAS.

2. the CA AK based mass shooter would have been stopped because you can’t buy an AK47 variant in CA. Complete BS. You can get them all day long provided you make it featureless.

Its really unfortunate that this can’t be seen thru more easily, worse that he has a platform. But sadly, he is high functioning and most of the voting  public isn’t. Easy pickin’s

Edited by Erich
  • Like 3
On 1/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, gary_boom said:

I think the new administration first priority will be to punish gun owners for supporting Trump. 

With all the crap on their plate you think this will be the first priority?

You should get out more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I’ll let you in on a secret, some people have other priorities and expectations from their politicians than 2A issues. If you are fortunate enough to be a single issue voter congratulations. 

Cool thanks, and in turn I'll let you in on a secret. If I was a single issue voter Trump wouldn't be my guy, he isn't any great friend of the 2A enthusiast.

• Like 3

I beleive the notion that a politician in office cares more about fixing current problems that are ailing to the american public then they do about pushing the agenda of their financiers is just not the case. Im probably really cynical, but I believe that the current administration was paid to push an agenda, of the items on said agenda is gun control, and so they're gonna do just that. Public school sucks (not attacking teachers its not really their fault), always has and no one cares to really fix its many glaring flaws because its a racket in its own right. Sure kids aren't in school, and thats a problem but it's been fixed with half-attempts at home school by zoom so its "fine". the current situation with regard to the pandemic offers lots of routes to attack civil liberties to push the agenda. Those two things are important.....just not important to "fix" in a meaningful way to benefit the American people.

• Like 1