Gun control article on NY Times

2 hours ago, JunkiCosmonaut said:

Im probably really cynical, but I believe that the current administration was paid to push an agenda....things are important.....just not important to "fix" in a meaningful way to benefit the American people.

With this last year, it's enough to make anyone a bit of a cynic. I think that term is actually too extreme. Given events, realist may be more appropriate IMO.

Telling GA voters I'll hook you up with 2K if you get me more favorable odds in the Senate for the left Agenda. How is that not illegal? 

The one thing that the media seems to be focused on as more immediate is 10K for specific individuals based on their own life choices. Perhaps that is more of buying people off for what's to come after the favor they are already buying via stimulus payments? It probably does help fuel the thought that gun control isnt a bid deal since its all on the DL today.

I see the rational logic of the folks in this thread who have pointed out other real priorities. That is plain sensible. Too sensible? When immediate priorities include hooking up a minority of the population which may not be the most at risk with 10k in debt reduction (may not effect their outgoing due to balances)....maybe you're getting away for what is most needed in the near term? 

Expecting rational or sensible paths seems a bit hopeful right now. But its probably good to have some optimists running around.

That said, that item was a campaign based pandering item, so it supports they are moving on them. As was Gun related nonsense, so its just as sensible to expect it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Erich said:

Telling GA voters I'll hook you up with 2K if you get me more favorable odds in the Senate for the left Agenda. How is that not illegal? 

This has been going on for ever, only way for a politician to get a vote, comes from all that want a vote, from local all the way to the potus.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I don't agree with arbitrarily censoring an entire site due to some of the posts/topics or users actions, but I do remember you posting earlier on what a cesspool a good portion of Reddit is (on opinion I agree with BTW).  I have also found the same level of garbage being widely posted on Arfcom, one of the reasons why I haven't been on that site in years.  There are many in Congress who are itching to bring the tech industry down a peg or three, and recent events have provided a convenient excuse to do so.  I suggest that the decision to take down Arfcom is an attempt to mitigate the potential damage of Federal regulation being used to break up the tech industry, in this case Arfcom was basically the low-hanging fruit ...

1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

one more cowinkydink Im sure. 

I can hear it now "aaaachhhthuallly arfdotcom was toooooxic and it wont go any further because they're just cleaning up and <insert reasons why it will be fixed/won't go further here> and beeeeesiiiiiiides <insert private company rant here>." 

• Like 3

Wait, so how is it that owners of Backpage.com got arrested for what was on their site (prostitution) yet facebook and twitter get to remain free?  They also allow all sorts of illegal radical BS, including things like calls for the eradication of an entire country, killing of homosexuals etc., and now they are silencing those who oppose these ideas.  How are they protected???

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Omega said:

How are they protected???

Lol. Hypocrisy you say. Nooooo. 🤣

Nothing new for the seat of power. Toe their line, you must.

Come on, lets admit it. 1A was really problematic anyway.  Now no one ever has to worry about being butthurt by words or thoughts ever again. To be good is Gamma, because Gamma is good!

Google + Apple + Amazon, how much of the web backbone infrastructure do y'all think they control?  Deregulation had its consequences. It would appear capitalism and freedom of speech were not terribly compatible long term.

Man, I hope they aren't working on brain scanners. Then we'd really be porked.

Edited by Erich
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is the place for this but has anyone else heard about the metal detectors that have been installed at all entrances to the Congressional floor where the House and Senate meet and they are being met with  a lot of objections from many elected officials to them and demanding they be removed or they will not be going in on the floor till they are. 

40 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I don't know if this is the place for this but has anyone else heard about the metal detectors that have been installed at all entrances to the Congressional floor where the House and Senate meet and they are being met with  a lot of objections from many elected officials to them and demanding they be removed or they will not be going in on the floor till they are. 

Yes, it's been mentioned a lot.  Some legislators are simply walking around the detectors and refusing to comply.  Although I don't know for sure, many state legislatures have laws which forbid law enforcement or any others from impeding a seated member from attending a vote, I would guess that this statute exists in the Federal register as well.  If so, any of the Congress critters who want can avoid the detectors at will ...

I heard them complaining about metal detectors but I'm not clear why they are angry about them. I was shocked they didn't have to go through them to begin with. Apparently everyone else does except for the lawmakers which sounds so typical of them. "Rules for thee but not for me". 

• Like 4

I heard that Pelosi was making a statement that is was GOP members refusing to go through them and she fear for her life by them. Former President Bush made a statement "if you don't want to walk through them find another job!" It's easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback and make statements like that when you don't have to do it.........JMHO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1