Other political forums/news sites?

Ok, the General politics forum is gone. Frankly I don't blame David one bit. But this ain't about that. So let's just not go there, OK?聽

Unfortunately, that forum was my main source of non-bias and objective political news. I'm old and somewhat technically challenged.聽馃檮 Can somebody point me to one or two good places/forums on the internet where I can find honest, non-bias, non-liberal聽political news and info?聽

• Like 4

Good question. I'm not terribly fond of wasting my time, except for here(LOL), so I tended to follow your聽 line of thinking. It did get rather "interesting" at times though. But my attempted point is that I agree with you. I get enough trash from the tv. So I'd appreciate the input from some of our more聽 connected guys as well.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Before聽any聽of this happened on TGO this week I was already on a quest to find sources of news.聽 Just news.聽 Not opinion pieces disguised as news, but just the basic facts of what happened or was happening.聽 It's almost impossible to find.

I'm watching these sites now and just trying to read across all of them in the hope that they challenge each other whenever biases are present and it'll be easy to spot that and filter down to the common points, which should be factual.

Here's the secret to happiness:聽 Assume that all news might have some bias just because reporters are humans and as humans we all bias our comments somehow even when we try to report the facts.聽 Also assume that just because you read something about a person, organization, cause or event that you care about, if it makes you mad it doesn't necessarily mean they are just wrong and biased.聽 It might be factual, and that's hard to swallow sometimes.

As for forums to discuss politics...聽 I think you just spin the wheel and take your chances.聽

If you want to talk to people who think exactly like you, on most things, it's going to be an echo chamber and there is no real value in that other than reassuring each other that you're right.聽 And if you want a crowd that will challenge you to think objectively and openly, you run the risk of being pissed off a lot.

I think it's kind of like bleach.聽 We know that if you add bleach to dirty water it can make it safe to drink.聽 Add too much or too little, though, and it can be fatal for different reasons.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ok, the General politics forum is gone. Frankly I don't blame David one bit. But this ain't about that. So let's just not go there, OK?聽

Unfortunately, that forum was my main source of non-bias and objective political news. I'm old and somewhat technically challenged.聽馃檮 Can somebody point me to one or two good places/forums on the internet where I can find honest, non-bias, non-liberal聽political news and info?聽

Sorry my friend. I accept full responsibility for getting the politics section removed and causing David this headache. If you find a good site, please share.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

NPR actually has some very centrist reporting.聽 They also have a few editors / journalists who are quite left leaning, but they don't try to hide it.

I must not be listening enough, but I have yet to hear much from NPR that leans even one degree right of center.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

Here's the secret to happiness:聽 Assume that all news might have some bias just because reporters are humans and as humans we all bias our comments somehow even when we try to report the facts.聽 Also assume that just because you read something about a person, organization, cause or event that you care about, if it makes you mad it doesn't necessarily mean they are just wrong and biased.聽 It might be factual, and that's hard to swallow sometimes.

Yup.聽 I also look at each news source and ask myself, "who is their target audience" because they're also a business, and businesses cater to their market.聽 I then go into the question of can I still trust the information being presented, even with the biases known.

The Washington Post was a great example of this over the last few years...they're in general, a dependable news organization for information and content.聽 Sure, their editorial side has a liberal bend, but most large papers outside the WSJ do.聽聽 More and more, however, I could see their news being run on a business model of information, often unflattering, about one certain person or their efforts in our government.聽 That's not inherently a bad thing, both on the grounds of an independent media, and holding those in power to account...but it was something I had to keep in mind whenever reading.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

NPR actually has some very centrist reporting.聽 They also have a few editors / journalists who are quite left leaning, but they don't try to hide it.

I was going to say this earlier but didn't want to deal with the聽ridicule. NPR does good journalism, especially when you branch out past politics.聽

The problem is that some people are just so uncomfortable hearing an opinion they don't agree with that they will just dismiss that source as fake news. I personally try to get my news from both liberal leaning and conservative sources.聽

• Like 3
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Sorry my friend. I accept full responsibility for getting the politics section removed and causing David this headache. If you find a good site, please share.

Don't worry about it bud. No big deal at all. I don't blame you at all.

Try WGN America new startup (since Sept), News Nation. 8-10 ET nightly, mostly repeated twice 11-2:00 am unless there's something really hot breaking. Dunno how ya get in on various systems, but know both Charter and Comcast carry it, I imagine lots of other ways to get/stream it.

Or all the time online:

https://www.newsnationnow.com/

Friend on here called it so laid back he winds down with it each night. I do find it pert durn down the middle. Very little "commentary".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NewsNation_(WGN_America)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
added more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, TGO David said:

Before聽any聽of this happened on TGO this week I was already on a quest to find sources of news.聽 Just news.聽 Not opinion pieces disguised as news, but just the basic facts of what happened or was happening.聽 It's almost impossible to find.

I'm watching these sites now and just trying to read across all of them in the hope that they challenge each other whenever biases are present and it'll be easy to spot that and filter down to the common points, which should be factual.

As for forums to discuss politics...聽 I think you just spin the wheel and take your chances.聽

If you want to talk to people who think exactly like you, on most things, it's going to be an echo chamber and there is no real value in that other than reassuring each other that you're right.聽 And if you want a crowd that will challenge you to think objectively and openly, you run the risk of being pissed off a lot.

I think it's kind of like bleach.聽 We know that if you add bleach to dirty water it can make it safe to drink.聽 Add too much or too little, though, and it can be fatal for different reasons.

Editors used to be there to keep bias and editorializing to a minimum.聽 Then they got to costing too much so they cut the editors and let the reporters self edit if any editing happens at all.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Editors used to be there to keep bias and editorializing to a minimum.聽 Then they got to costing too much so they cut the editors and let the reporters self edit if any editing happens at all.

Editors used to be there to edit as well, hence the title. 聽You know, to correct grammar and spelling mistakes that no one seems to care about anymore.聽

• Like 5
5 hours ago, btq96r said:

Yup.聽 I also look at each news source and ask myself, "who is their target audience" because they're also a business, and businesses cater to their market.聽 I then go into the question of can I still trust the information being presented, even with the biases known.

The Washington Post was a great example of this over the last few years...they're in general, a dependable news organization for information and content.聽 Sure, their editorial side has a liberal bend, but most large papers outside the WSJ do.聽聽 More and more, however, I could see their news being run on a business model of information, often unflattering, about one certain person or their efforts in our government.聽 That's not inherently a bad thing, both on the grounds of an independent media, and holding those in power to account...but it was something I had to keep in mind whenever reading.

WaPo was considerably better before Bezos bought it. The left lean is much more obvious...

• Like 1

I listen to NPR, read the NY Times and watch Fox, and read the Wall Street Journal聽and then I do something unique:聽 I make up my own mind.

The issue in being informed is whether you want to be informed or if you are merely looking for sources to buttress what you already believe.

• Like 3
  • Love 2