Other political forums/news sites?

In 2019, an NBC News investigative report suggested The Epoch Times's political coverage may be affected by Falun Gong believers' anticipation of a judgment day in which communists are sent to hell, and Falun Gong's allies are spared. Former Epoch Times employees told NBC News that President Donald Trump is viewed as a key anti-communist ally,[18] allegedly hastening that judgment day.[59]

In 2020, Vox identified China Uncensored, along with NTD as affiliates of Epoch Times, as part of a multilingual "media empire".[60]

Its's like evangelicals and Israel.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

AWS just booted Parler - so unless they stand it up on some Russian server farm they’re effectively done for now. 

They are working on server relocation and hope to be back in a week or two. 

9 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

They are working on server relocation and hope to be back in a week or two. 

The website is still up for computer access. Don't know about content, you can't read it without an account like you can Twitter, and I'm not making one.

edit: just read where it's supposed to pulled as of  the 10th, so any minute now?

Also, I guess I need to read up on Amazon Web Service, but can't they just find another host; does AWS have some sort of net admin power to prevent that or something?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Defender said:

Try accessing it in duck duck go.  Also I read the epoch times as well.

Yep. Their hosting (and infrastructure) provider is booting them.  As of tomorrow afternoon, their app is homeless.

It’s so poorly written, it would basically take a rewrite - and a bunch of money and time to stand it back up.

It’s not to say a Peter Thiel or Larry Ellison won’t step in to fund it - but even if that happened, it’s gonna be a minute. 

• Moderators
Just now, Oh Shoot said:

The website is still up for computer access. Don't know about content, you can't read it without an account like you can Twitter, and I'm not making one.

- OS

They’re going down at midnight on Sunday. Expected to be back after 12-24 hours. 

Parler is not necessarily the crazy loony place of fascists and conspiracy nuts if you don’t choose that. I don’t. I have a nice mix of gun folks, a few conservative politicians/voices and a lot of random apolitical accounts that are fun and provide interesting content. 

The key difference is that Parler allows you to moderate the kind of content and views you engage with rather than attempting to limit you to approved Views and voices. There is plenty of bad stuff, but there’s way more good stuff. It’s up to you how you use it. 

• Like 1

In the early mornings here in Cookeville, not sure what channel but there is a Truck Drivers radio newstalk that's pretty good and on the weekend radio the guntalk show which of course these days must devote time to politics.

I hope this thread keeps trucking!!

Also would like to hear what podcasts/blogs you all frequent with overall World and National general and political news and comment. I'm sure there is plenty out there.

2 hours ago, papa61 said:

"Resistance is futile" 
yeah, how'd that work out?

I think you have your metaphors mixed up.  The Death Star was part of the Star Wars saga, your quote is from the Borg of Star Trek: The Next Generation ...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Defender said:

Try accessing it in duck duck go.  Also I read the epoch times as well.

The problem won't be finding it, it will be that they no longer have a web hosting service on which to house their content.  Amazon Web Services provides a lot of the web servers that various internet sites use to host their content, including TGO as I remember ...

• Like 1
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, btq96r said:

This is why I use an Android device.  Much simpler and safer to get what I might want to install outside of apps approved on Google Play.

Apple products are apparently very user friendly, and I recognize how good the iOS software is...but that ease and convenience has always been at a cost that for some is finally coming due.

I’m waiting for the Librem 5 (or another Linux phone) to be ready for prime time. Until then I’ll deal with the Apple fencing. Alphabet is a straight up evil company and I avoid their products as much as possible. Apple isn’t much better overall, but are less bad in certain specific areas that matter to me. 

Still, would love to break the stranglehold of that duopoly. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, No_0ne said:

That ship sailed, long ago ...

I wouldn’t be so sure. 15 years ago who would have imagined that Apple would be where they are in comparison to Microsoft? Google was still a search engine and Nokia and Blackberry were it when it came to phones. 

What goes up, eventually comes down. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. 15 years ago who would have imagined that Apple would be where they are in comparison to Microsoft? Google was still a search engine and Nokia and Blackberry were it when it came to phones. 

What goes up, eventually comes down. 

True, but this was before the advent of the smart phone and it's variants.  The sorting out has occurred already, and phones are a mature market now, where 15 years ago it was "pioneer days".  In the early days of the auto industry, there were literally 100's of companies making cars, by the end of WWII it was just a handful, shortly after winding up with 3 domestic companies (of any size worth mentioning).  As markets mature, there's a natural tendency (or selection, if you will) for a few companies to come to dominate, once that occurs the economy of scale makes it extremely difficult to break the hold of the majors.  Also, Apple was a major company years before they got into phones, and Nokia and Blackberry were among those selected against ...

9 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

They’re going down at midnight on Sunday. Expected to be back after 12-24 hours. 

Parler is not necessarily the crazy loony place of fascists and conspiracy nuts if you don’t choose that. I don’t. I have a nice mix of gun folks, a few conservative politicians/voices and a lot of random apolitical accounts that are fun and provide interesting content. 

The key difference is that Parler allows you to moderate the kind of content and views you engage with rather than attempting to limit you to approved Views and voices. There is plenty of bad stuff, but there’s way more good stuff. It’s up to you how you use it. 

You mean I have to be a grown up and choose for myself whether or not I want to read / engage a poster, without someone moderating that viewpoint or censoring it all together, or telling me what is a good or bad things to say / read?

No Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

You mean I have to be a grown up and choose for myself whether or not I want to read / engage a poster, without someone moderating that viewpoint or censoring it all together, or telling me what is a good or bad things to say / read?

No Thanks!

YEAAH... What Mista analog said...!!!! Bravo... We salute ya Brother... SALUTE..!!!

admirin leroy...

12 hours ago, No_0ne said:

I think you have your metaphors mixed up.  The Death Star was part of the Star Wars saga, your quote is from the Borg of Star Trek: The Next Generation ...

Sorry looks like apple shaped borg ship to me. and the quote fits the corp mindset

Borg Cube 1.jpg

12 hours ago, No_0ne said:

and I've never seen star wars so no clue what a death star looks like Samuel L Jackson What GIF by Coming to America

1 minute ago, No_0ne said:

And everybody should watch the Star Wars saga at some point in their lives 🙂

OK, that does resemble the apple. And NOT seeing it is kinda my thing now. At 59 years old Iwas around when the first one came out. Just never appealed to me. wasn't a Seinfeld or Friends fan either

Despicable Me Whatever GIF

1 minute ago, papa61 said:

OK, that does resemble the apple. And NOT seeing it is kinda my thing now. At 59 years old Iwas around when the first one came out. Just never appealed to me. wasn't a Seinfeld or Friends fan either

But you did like whatever those yellow things are?

1 minute ago, papa61 said:

I saw Star Wars on the first day it opened in a theater in Jackson, Tn. back in 1977.  I was 16 at the time, and enjoyed a good science fiction movie (still do in fact).  I never watched Seinfeld either, and don't really know what type of show Friends was/is, as I've barely even heard of it ...

• Like 1