Portable Air Compessor

Defender

Wife's car has a flat, and I'm getting to the point in my old age that i don't want to change tires, lol.  So, i want to just try to air it up and drive it about a mile to get it fixed.  Any suggestions on a reasonable priced air compressor ?  I live close to both Harbor Freight and Northern Tool, and am not wanting to spend a lot...

The one I got at Lowes is pretty good, it is lightweight, quiet and really has some good air pressure.  I used this combo to build some stuff out at my hunting land, it runs all my nail guns and most of my air tools.  And yea, it will inflate a tire easily without having to wait too long for it to reach the pressure you need.

U7qK6fA.jpg

• Like 3
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Defender said:

Wife's car has a flat, and I'm getting to the point in my old age that i don't want to change tires, lol.  So, i want to just try to air it up and drive it about a mile to get it fixed.  Any suggestions on a reasonable priced air compressor ?  I live close to both Harbor Freight and Northern Tool, and am not wanting to spend a lot...

I see you live just outside of Nashville. I'd almost bet one of us younger whippersnappers would come help you for free.

I leave east of Chattanooga, so it isn't viable for me to help.

Epke Zonderland Bummer GIF by DutchGymnasticsKNGU

• Like 2

I have a Smittybilt unit I paid around $170 for. It works very well. I use it to air back up after offroad travel.

The $25 units will work in a pinch but they take forever. In this picture I was able to air up 3 tires before the guy in the brown truck finished 1.

hc28.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a 12vdc model from HF, and while I wouldn't use it every day, it works well in the kind of situation you describe. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html

I bought mine to carry on a cross-country trip, but never needed it. Still, it's compact, has a carry bag, and comes with everything you need. It definitely gets hot when filling a big truck tire, and like all HF tools you take a risk. $70 and HF has 20% off coupons, so figure $56 plus tax.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1

Once I got an air compressor, i wondered what I did before. 

I have a small 1 gal Husky brand and a bigger 20 gal Harbor Freight one. The husky one is nice for topping stuff off, but its too small to air up a flat car on a single tank.  The HF one is 10-12 years old. It blew the head gasket a few years ago, but was easy to fix. Its starting to wear out and has always leaked a little oil.  

I also have one of those 12V mini compressors in each vehicle. As mentioned, they're really slow, but better than walking. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, peejman said:

Once I got an air compressor, i wondered what I did before. 

I have a small 1 gal Husky brand and a bigger 20 gal Harbor Freight one. The husky one is nice for topping stuff off, but its too small to air up a flat car on a single tank.  The HF one is 10-12 years old. It blew the head gasket a few years ago, but was easy to fix. Its starting to wear out and has always leaked a little oil.  

I also have one of those 12V mini compressors in each vehicle. As mentioned, they're really slow, but better than walking. 

Just picked up a McGraw 3 gallon  compressor at Harbor Freight just now. Hopefully its good enough.  I think I will put the hose and attachments together on it this afternoon, then try it out in the morning.  If the tire holds air then we can drive it to Discount Tire to get it repaired or replaced.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Defender said:

Just picked up a McGraw 3 gallon  compressor at Harbor Freight just now. Hopefully its good enough.  I think I will put the hose and attachments together on it this afternoon, then try it out in the morning.  If the tire holds air then we can drive it to Discount Tire to get it repaired or replaced.

When you buy fittings at HF, buy the brass ones, the chrome plated ones leak.

• Like 1

You might think about a plug kit, too. They're cheap at HF, and can save you a lot of grief. Heck, if the tire has a nail in the tread you just plug it and carry on.  I bought a nice mushroom plug kit on-line and it's been a good purchase. I have a plug kit and CO2 cartridges on my touring bike, but I don't think the cartridges would work well with a car tire. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

If you have any of the Ryobi 18v tools, they have a inflator that works decent, I got it to carry in the TT to use as needed.  It is a bit slow, but it gets the job done.  The plug kits work pretty good as well.  GL.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Darrell said:

I have a plug kit and CO2 cartridges on my touring bike, but I don't think the cartridges would work well with a car tire. 

Sure they will, just buy a case or more.🤣

• Like 1

Amongst other compressors that I have, I carry a 12 volt that plugs into my cigarette lighter, as well as a plug kit.  I'd much rather plug it and air it up than change it.  Then I proceed to the Discount Tire and have them put a proper patch plug on it.

• Love 1

Well, despite being ignorant as to how to operate my new compressor, (printed instructions that came with it completely sucked) I was able to use it to air up my wife’s car tire, drove it to discount tire, where they repaired it for free!  Thanks TGO for all the suggestions.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DeepSouth said:

I had a tire with a hole at the edge of the tread. Most tire shops won't plug/patch them. I plugged it and added a bottle of Slim then aired it up. I got 5 months use until I saw steel belt sticking through.

Don't use Slime with aluminum wheels, it causes very rapid corrosion from the inside out.  It's also a PITA to clean out of the wheel and makes the tire difficult to balance. 

On 1/9/2021 at 3:59 PM, peejman said:

Don't use Slime with aluminum wheels, it causes very rapid corrosion from the inside out.  It's also a PITA to clean out of the wheel and makes the tire difficult to balance. 

Don't know about slime, I only use it on small tires such as yard carts, but once I used one of those fix-a-flat cans to air up my truck tire, and no regular tire places would touch it when they found out.  I ended up going to a large truck tire repair place and got it repaired.  I was a mess inside, and the guy said it may be flammable as well.  Now I carry a 12v pump and a plug kit for emergencies, but also have roadside assistance and everything I need to change to the spare as well.

• Like 1