XS Big Dot or red dot optic for shotgun

Looking at adding an XS Big Dot front sight or red dot optic to my Mossy 12 gauge. I want something for nighttime home defense use. I've been eyeballing the XS sight but you have to use something like JB Weld to attach it to the included bead sight. I'm afraid if I ever had to replace it then it might damage the barrel. The red dot seems like a safer option but more expensive. Which should I go with? Thanks

3 minutes ago, lock n' load said:

Looking at adding an XS Big Dot front sight or red dot optic to my Mossy 12 gauge. I want something for nighttime home defense use. I've been eyeballing the XS sight but you have to use something like JB Weld to attach it to the included bead sight. I'm afraid if I ever had to replace it then it might damage the barrel. The red dot seems like a safer option but more expensive. Which should I go with? Thanks

I went with the XS big dot on my Rem 870 and I am happy with it. I reckon replacing the barrel isn’t quite that big of a deal to me should I ever have to. However for my coyote shotgun (Tristar Viper G2) I’ve been thinking about trying a red dot on it. Not much help for your question maybe but thought I’d share what I’ve done just in case it does. 

I have the XS big dot on my Shock Wave and I like it a lot.  Just jumps on target and is more accurate than I thought it would be. 

Also, I don't think I would  worry too much about the barrel thing. When you install you remove your threaded bead then  install the threaded bead that comes with it with just a dot of blue  loc-tite. Then you epoxy the XS big dot to the bead. Should you ever want to take it off I think the bead  would come off pretty good with heat by turning the sight, but I could be wrong. 

Edited by turkeydad
content
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...