I’m looking for recommendations for a place to get an axe. I have one that I picked up for Home Depot with a fiberglass handle, but I’m looking for a company who makes axes, hatchets, etc with quality metal and of course a wooden handle. 

The idea is that I’d like it to last the rest of my life time and have it to pass down to my son. 

And of course, I’d like to see pictures of all of your axes, hatchets, tomahawks, etc! 

• Admin Team

I own three Gransfors Bruks axes.  They’re handmade Swedish purpose built axes.  

They come shaving sharp - which can be strange/dangerous for anyone who’s only ever used  cast hardware store axes.

Not only are they perfect tools, they’re works of art.

I’ve got a large splitting axe, a small forest axe, and a wildlife hatchet.

They’re more expensive than a Fiskars (which is actually a completely fine axe for everyday needs) - but your kids will fight over them. 

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

They’re more expensive than a Fiskars (which is actually a completely fine axe for everyday needs) 

I was prepared to recommend a Fiskars axe but I see that he wants a wood handle. Fiskars makes a great budget friendly axe but it's not exactly what I would call an heirloom. 

I’ve got a Fiskers machete that I use for my neighbors bamboo that creeps onto my property. Love it, and it’s almost always super sharp. Handles really well too.

Definitely looking for something that will be an heirloom one day, but I want it to be usable too. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

They come shaving sharp - which can be strange/dangerous for anyone who’s only ever used  cast hardware store axes.

They’re more expensive than a Fiskars (which is actually a completely fine axe for everyday needs) - but your kids will fight over them. 

X2 on Gransfors Bruks. Amazing tools and craftsmanship. 

• Like 2

Reading about these Gransfors, but stumbled onto Brant & Cochran also. They look like they both make really good pieces. 

I’d be really interested in picking one up from someone on the forum that makes them, as long as the materials are quality. 

I’ve got a splitting axe, I’d like something I could take backcountry camping. So something light weight (3 - 4 lbs), with a handle between 24” and 28” inches. 

• Moderators
On 1/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, MacGyver said:

I didn't know about Gransfors Bruks but now I want one.

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Admin Team
2 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I didn't know about Gransfors Bruks but now I want one.

If I was only going to own one axe - that would hands down be it.

Each of their axes comes with a book detailing the different use cases for each of their axes.  It’s an education by itself: 

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/axe-knowledge/using-an-axe/different-axe-models/

Here are mine, the one with the burnt hanble my son made for me. The head was found at a yard sale, my son put in the 36" handle. The other ax is 34" and was a yard sale find as well, the splitting maul has a pipe handle we did to add weight, works well and is a great work out. The little hatchet is a custom job I picked up off the net.

axs.jpg

Edited by RED333
Because I can
7 hours ago, RED333 said:

Here are mine, the one with the burnt hanble my son made for me. The head was found at a yard sale, my son put in the 36" handle. The other ax is 34" and was a yard sale find as well, the splitting maul has a pipe handle we did to add weight, works well and is a great work out. The little hatchet is a custom job I picked up off the net.

axs.jpg

I like that burnt handle! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve got a council hatchet I keep in the truck and loan out as needed but the small forest axe from gransfors (or any of their products) is what you seek. I’ll never sell mine. 

if you are on a budget the husqvarna and stihl offerings are decent too along with the aforementioned council.

Few coats of boiled linseed oil on the handles and you are good to go. One coat every day for a week. One coat every week for a month and one coat every month for a year. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I got an old axe from my father-in-law. Best I can tell, it's about 50 years old. Very rusty. Soaked in vinegar for a few days and then sanded and polished. Still haven't fixed the axe head to the handle.

Learned some differences between cheap store-bought steel and a real axe head - real steel has a tempered edge and a lot of cheap axes don't have that hardened edge. 

Also, never use an axe with some sort of clear coat on the handle without gloves. It will eat you alive with blisters. Naked wood + oil = way better.

Edited by mondojackal
  • Like 2