USPS And What Can Blue Not Do For You

krunchnik

I put 30 years in with the Post Office. I can tell you their problems is a management problem. The P O went down after they decided to put their money into the national coffers. Then they started not filling positions and now have a manpower problem. They don't pay part time labor well so they don't get many good temporaries. Also when they gave them permission to allow 1st class mail to set in the office, it was like you give an inch, and they took a mile. It is not the Labor Unions fault. You can't move large volumes of mail with no one to move it.  Like I said, it is a management problem.

Still have a daughter who works in the Murfreesboro office. They have 7 clerks and 3 window clerks in the Church street office. When I worked there we had 40 clerks not counting window clerks. Times, they are a changing. Pay more to mail, less people to move it.  MANAGEMENT GUYS.  

Back when I had the bait business over the 15 years I sold to the public I used priority mail to ship every package. I guess I am lucky Chuck bought the business from me or I would be suffering the effects with the mail as everyone else is. I order my Rosie's food and snacks from Chewy and they ship everything Fed-X and I ordered some stuff last Thursday and they delivered it on Sunday. Both UPS and Fed-X are both delivering 7 days a week now.

20 hours ago, dralarms said:

Ordered a generator on dec 11, made it from cal to Atlanta by the 31st.  I still don’t have it. 

to be clear, it’s not coming Usps. Just wanted to point out it’s everywhere. 

Is it coming via YRC? If so, good luck. That company appears to be in competition as to who can supply the worst trucking service ever.

21 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Is it coming via YRC? If so, good luck. That company appears to be in competition as to who can supply the worst trucking service ever.

Agreed. I had a custom bumper made for my truck last year and they shipped it LTL via YRC. Watching the tracking was almost comical. When it finally arrived in Knoxville I had to go pick it up at their cross dock and I was shocked when they told me to walk across the dock while forklifts were driving around. That place was an OSHA nightmare. 

15 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Agreed. I had a custom bumper made for my truck last year and they shipped it LTL via YRC. Watching the tracking was almost comical. When it finally arrived in Knoxville I had to go pick it up at their cross dock and I was shocked when they told me to walk across the dock while forklifts were driving around. That place was an OSHA nightmare. 

Did they try to charge you to pick it up too? I had special ordered some floor tile, and it was dropped off at their docks in Nashville after having been erroneously dropped at Memphis. The tile had been sitting there for a few days, so the store that ordered it for me called them to arrange for them to come down to the terminal and pick it up. They wanted to charge the store <$200 to do so. That was not my first experience with YRC but it certainly was my last.

8 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

USPS has been garbage for me since the pandemic.   Every single package does the "in transit, arriving late" thing for at least a week.   

On the shipping end, I've seen a lot of  "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending". That might last for several days. Then that notice will go away when the scan indicates "received, sent to distribution center" in whichever nearest city of size. Obviously, it's just been sitting at the local, not yet sent, or at that larger center, not yet scanned.

Similar, on my end, I get a lot of "Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility KNOXVILLE TN DISTRIBUTION CENTER". Where it might sit for x number of days before finally getting a received notice at my local PO. This indicates to me that there is often just too huge a glut of packages to simply get it 4 miles away to my local.

Then, again, I've had at least four packages that made it to Knoxville that didn't make it my local PO before a notice that they were "received in Memphis". Or Jacksonville. Then started the route over from there.

Now, ordinarily, I've had a very few like that through the years which would simply indicate mistakes, but too many in too short a time this time around, so I still think when they simply couldn't cram any more packages into their holding areas here and there, they've been "load balancing" and sending stuff around in a loop, essentially using their trucking contractor system as "temporary on road storage".

And also again, I had no problems with USPS overall ever, and I've done a zillion sent/received through the last 20 years or so in particular, UNTIL literally a week after Dejoy was put in charge by DJT. This was an obvious blatant ploy to slow down mail voting nationwide, and the courts agreed. And even though the courts said, "put it back like it was", too many gears were already stripped by then to recover in a hurry. And then add the holiday gift glut and the dramatically increasing Covid rates which take a toll on workforce and also promote people using the mail even more, and here we are.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Speaking of shipping.... I got a box today shipped via UPS.  A monitor (no longer functioning).  Sent from CA.  The individual wrapped the screen in the small bubble wrap.  One layer.  Saran wrapped that.  One maybe two layers.  Threw it into a box about 4 or 5 times too large with a couple of those little filler pillow bags and a couple pieces of foam on two of the four corners of the monitor.  Inside of this to fill the top area they threw some of that long brown paper which did absolutely nothing to stop this monitor and it's base from bouncing all across the country.  Pretty unbelievable.   I have submitted to return the monitor hopefully it goes through no problem.  I checked their reviews and looks like they did this to someone else who got theirs refunded on Jan 10th.  

Edited by Daniel
On 1/12/2021 at 2:14 PM, E4 No More said:

Well, the USPS tracking system is a complete joke. Many times I get a tracking number from it being created, but the tracking never updates. I get the package before I see its status change.

E4, I totally agree. Their tracking system is as useless as teats on a boar hog.

I'll say it again, I long for the day when they shut USPS down & let it go private.

BTW, it doesn't matter how much cheaper USPS is, if don't arrive when it's supposed to.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

E4, I totally agree. Their tracking system is as useless as teats on a boar hog.

I'll say it again, I long for the day when they shut USPS down & let it go private.

BTW, it doesn't matter how much cheaper USPS is, if don't arrive when it's supposed to.

Go use UPS or FEDEX if you want private carriers.  Ill stick with the government service at the USPS.

Edited by Daniel
3 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Free choice. I'm just fed up with the inefficiency & gov. bailouts.

The government doesnt "bailout" the USPS.  The USPS isnt a business.  We dont expect the Defense dept to pay for itself do we?  No, because it's a service.  Does the dept of Interior?  Agriculture?  DOT?  Services.  

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The government doesnt "bailout" the USPS.  The USPS isnt a business.  We dont expect the Defense dept to pay for itself do we?  No, because it's a service.  Does the dept of Interior?  Agriculture?  DOT?  Services.  

You can use whatever term you like. Fact is several time they have nearly gone belly up, and the Gov. had to " add money to their acct". Does that sound better, same thing. It's no secret.

You'd argue with a stump.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:25 PM, Daniel said:

A service that we shouldn't be paying for anymore.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 1/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, Daniel said:

These “services” are of generally questionable utility and of substandard quality. They provide a poor price to value ROI. I’d like to unsubscribe from them. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

A service that we shouldn't be paying for anymore.

9 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

These “services” are of generally questionable utility and of substandard quality. They provide a poor price to value ROI. I’d like to unsubscribe from them. 

So you think the constitution was wrong and should be updated to modern standards?  Tell me more.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So you think the constitution was wrong and should be updated to modern standards?  Tell me more.

Not here. That’s going to move the thread from kvetching about the post office straight into politics. If you’d like to discuss that particular subject further, my inbox is always open. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Daniel said:

We aren't supposed to discuss politics so I'll try to avoid it too much other than to say "shall have the power to" and "Must" are two different things.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Not here. That’s going to move the thread from kvetching about the post office straight into politics. If you’d like to discuss that particular subject further, my inbox is always open. 

You gotta admit that it's comical to see a liberal try to defend certain services but want to de-fund another service.

• Confused 1

My issue with USPS isn't as much about delays although that is annoying and I think there are reasons for it (not good ones, but reasons).  It's more about the poor attitude and complete lack want to do one's job by the clerks I seem to interact with. On top of that they don't even know their own rules most of the time.  I am not saying all are this way as there is may be 1 in 20 that actually act like they want to work there and be helpful, but most I just want to grab and shake the holy living hell out of.

8 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

My issue with USPS isn't as much about delays although that is annoying and I think there are reasons for it (not good ones, but reasons).  It's more about the poor attitude and complete lack want to do one's job by the clerks I seem to interact with. On top of that they don't even know their own rules most of the time.  I am not saying all are this way as there is may be 1 in 20 that actually act like they want to work there and be helpful, but most I just want to grab and shake the holy living hell out of.

Sounds like my experiences with TSA 🙄

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Fortunately, the ones that I have dealt with in Lavergne and now Lascassas have not been bad. It could be because of the small town location. But they do have to deal within the confines of their system, and that system sucks.

I have a package coming in from NC. It went from Ashville to Greensboro last Friday.. Ok odd, but not bad... then showed up in Memphis today.... I am in Johnson City..... They could have just about tossed it to me from the interstate as they passed. 

• Haha 1