Smith Wesson MP 9MM E Z

pop pop

I want to purchase one of these new EZ 9MM pistols, because my Arthritis is getting much worse.

The Dr took me off Meloxicam (was taking it for arthritis, and diabetic neuropathy) so I quit taking it for 16 days. I hurt so bad I had to go back on it.

I have been waiting, to purchase the pistol, so they can get the bugs worked out of them, but they sure seem to have many bugs at present. Even a recall for certain serial numbers.

I know the EZ 380 has been out for several months, with good success, however the 9MM is my interest.

I now have 2 S W M P 9MM compact 2.0 4" brl and really like the platform. I carry one often. The regular one I have has proved to be very reliable, and I like the 15+1 round count,

but the EZ is 10 +1 and a tad bit thinner. "Supposed" to be much easier for arthritic hands to rack?????

Do any of you all have any experience with this model SW?

I bought the Performance Center EZ 9 for my wife and can only speak to that version, but, it is indeed easier to rack, quick to takedown, very easy to load and a nice shooting pistol. It is, however, an 8+1 (not 10+1).

I like it except the grip safety on the PC version and am hoping to replace it with a regular grip safety.

17 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

I bought the Performance Center EZ 9 for my wife and can only speak to that version, but, it is indeed easier to rack, quick to takedown, very easy to load and a nice shooting pistol. It is, however, an 8+1 (not 10+1).

I like it except the grip safety on the PC version and am hoping to replace it with a regular grip safety.

What's the difference between the two grip safeties?

The thing that keeps me from liking this pistol is it seems too big to be a subcompact (23oz with 4.1" barrel) and doesn't seem to have enough capacity to be a compact.  Does that make sense to any of you all?  I guess I'm  expecting the size of the Shield, for only an 8+1 pistol.

Hi @Moped -

The PC version grip safety is aluminum (the regular version is polymer), and it is larger with sharp edges (for some reason). It sticks out further when fully depressed than the regular version.

I think the idea for the PC was to have a better purchase on the pistol, but the result is an uncomfortable and ridged protrusion  in the palm of your hand. It is the same on the EZ 380 PC model and perhaps with .380 recoil this was not a problem, but, for a range session with 9 mm, it's not fun.

And maybe that's MY issue - i like to shoot too much. For just running a mag or two through it, it may not really matter, but after a box or so I want to move onto something else.

And yes, it isn't really that small, but it is very well-balanced and comfortable.

For me, I still like my LC9S,  but the trigger reach on the Ruger isn't good for my wife. The S&W the trigger is a bit further back and the gun is much easier for her to manipulate.

Edited by Swamp ash
18 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Hi @Moped -

The PC version grip safety is aluminum (the regular version is polymer), and it is larger with sharp edges (for some reason). It sticks out further when fully depressed than the regular version.

I think the idea for the PC was to have a better purchase on the pistol, but the result is an uncomfortable and ridged protrusion  in the palm of your hand. It is the same on the EZ 380 PC model and perhaps with .380 recoil this was not a problem, but, for a range session with 9 mm, it's not fun.

And maybe that's MY issue - i like to shoot too much. For just running a mag or two through it, it may not really matter, but after a box or so I want to move onto something else.

And yes, it isn't really that small, but it is very well-balanced and comfortable.

For me, I still like my LC9S,  but the trigger reach on the Ruger isn't good for my wife. The S&W the trigger is a bit further back and the gun is much easier for her to manipulate.

My main carry gun is a LC9S Pro.  Great little pistol!!!  But I get that the trigger might be a little too far forward for smaller hands.  I have medium sized hands and it's perfect for me. 

• Like 1

I wish I could speak to the EZ, but I thought I might throw another good option in the mix if you haven't considered it.

I suggest checking out the Walther CCP, which is extremely easy to rack. It has a very light recoil spring due to its piston delayed blowback design. It's also the most comfortable pistol (in my limited experience) I've ever held. 9mm with 8+1 capacity.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

We went to Pigeon Forge for a anniversary get away. While there I went by one of the gun shops there while my wife shopped at a nearby store. They had a SW M P 9 MM E Z in stock with a 3.7 length brl. It followed me home. It is a bit thinner than my other MPs and holds 8+1. Got 2 magazines for it also. A few ounces lighter as well. I am not a fan of the 1911 style grip safety but that is the only way they come. this one also has the 1911 style safety on it also which I am not a fan of also. I will need to acquire a IWB holster for it so I can carry it after it proves to me it is a reliable pistol. I will say it is somewhat easier to rack the slide on, which is a big plus for old and arthritic hands.   

Will let you know how it drives after I kick the tires a couple or three times.

I had to pay list price for the pistol 469.00. No deals with todays shortages of firearms. The store was about as empty as I have ever seen. Even long guns.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

I took the EZ out and run 40 rounds through it between rains. It was too muddy to carry all my gear out so I just fired it for reliability purposes. I had no problem with the grip safety. It protrudes enough that my skinny hand depresses it without any problems. The EZ fired all the rounds without any stoppages of any kind. I was using WWB 9MM RN practice ammo. I was shooting from a table rest, from 30 feet, off hand and the EZ seems to be hitting a little off center and to the left, but I will need to take sandbags out and use them before doing any sight adjustment. I really like the steel 8 round magazines as they have ears on the sides to aid in depressing the spring to load each round into the magazine. I found them to be great aids.  I missed a couple shots on a 6" gong and a couple on the 8" gong.  

I also found I could pocket carry and draw the EZ, with ease, but I had no pocket holster and it printed. I must try a pocket holster. The pistol measures 7" long and 5" tall in the grip. When loaded it balances pretty good. The E Z has a good trigger.

For the first outing I was well pleased. I will take it out again, soon after it dries a bit, and I have the time. Plan to run about 400 to 500 rounds to see if it is reliable enough to carry, and want to check the sights for accuracy. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just took the MP EZ 9 out and ran 20 rounds of Federal 147 gr Hydra Shock JHP through it. It fired them all with no problems. The price on the box was $20.00 for 50. OH, the days of yester year. Those 20 rounds would be 40. + today. So far the EZ is eating everything. It is a fun pistol to shoot and carries quiet nicely in a Comp Tac Minatour IWB holster. Been wearing it around the house and while doing yard work. Need to run several mor through it to make sure it is reliable. Plan to carry Rem Golden Saber 127 gr bonded in it.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, pop pop said:

Just took the MP EZ 9 out and ran 20 rounds of Federal 147 gr Hydra Shock JHP through it. It fired them all with no problems. The price on the box was $20.00 for 50. OH, the days of yester year. Those 20 rounds would be 40. + today. So far the EZ is eating everything. It is a fun pistol to shoot and carries quiet nicely in a Comp Tac Minatour IWB holster. Been wearing it around the house and while doing yard work. Need to run several mor through it to make sure it is reliable. Plan to carry Rem Golden Saber 127 gr bonded in it.

You get a good grouping?

Possumslayer, never shot for serious grouping, just shooting steel gongs. I put the 20 rounds on a 8" gong at 15 yards, off hand, with 1 miss. The pistol is new and I have not set it up on sandbags nor rung it out. Just wanted to see if it would eat some blunt HP ammo. I will in the future. Only have 70 rounds through it just testing reliability. I am going to do some real testing for accuracy as soon as I get a chance because I want to carry it in the future.  I do like the way it shoots and how easy it is to rack the slide. 

I do have a MP 9C 2.0 that I have been carrying for over a year so the platform is not new to me. This pistol operates the same as the 2.0, but the 2.0 9C is harder to rack the slide on. I have been having problems with loss of strength, from diabetic neuropathy in my hands and arms, and Arthritis pain this winter. 

Edited by pop pop
Add content
  • Like 1

To be clear, this a Shield, right?  I didn't think they made EZ versions of the regular M&P line.   

If so, I've seen a lot of the Shield EZs (380) in my classes.   They seem to be okay for what they are.  They are definitely easier to teach people how to load a mag.   My issue that I don't think they are intended to be the workhorses that most people would like.  I expect that they will have a limited life in comparison to their regular shield siblings.   Of course only time will bear that out. 

• Like 1

Capbyrd, what brings you to the conclusion they (MP 9MM EZ)will possibly not the workhorse other MPs and Shields are intended to be? I have 2 MP C 2.0 9MM pistols and the EZ is made pretty much the same. The biggest difference is the lighter spring to allow it to be racked easier. 

3 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Capbyrd, what brings you to the conclusion they (MP 9MM EZ)will possibly not the workhorse other MPs and Shields are intended to be? I have 2 MP C 2.0 9MM pistols and the EZ is made pretty much the same. The biggest difference is the lighter spring to allow it to be racked easier. 

Lighter spring means more impact on the rest of the internals during recoil.   It also means that the springs are going to need replaced at shorter intervals than a regular handgun but that's simple maintenance so I'm not going to get too attached that.   For the average user, the EZ will probably be just fine.  But the average user shoots under 100 rounds a year.   

• Like 1

I am a little above average, on practice,  (50 rounds per month) but have really curtailed my shooting because of the ammo availability, and cost  issue, as I am sure a lot of us have had to do. On a retired budget it is hard to spend 800.00 to 900.00 per thousand for practice ammo for 9 MM.  I will usually shoot one or the other now, MP 9C or 9 MM EZ to spread the wear time out. You could be right about the excess wear on the EZ because of the lighter spring. Just have to see how things shake out. Thanks for the response to my question Capbyrd. 

I have about 600 rounds through the 2 MP 9Cs, and only 70 rounds through the EZ at present. By the way I have 2 MP 9C 2.0 pistols because I always like a backup to the pistol I EDC. If this EZ works out may be getting another for backup. I do like the MP platform for, "somewhat",  affordable pistols. 

Edited to add; I have the same concealed carry holsters for both the 9 C and E Z for familiarity purposes. Both feel good in my hand although I can tell the difference with the EZ because it is thinner and has the grip safety on it.  Got to keep muscle memory as close as possible for both pistols. Just don't like to do a lot of change should I be FORCED to use either in an emergency situation.  

Does anyone know where I can get some snake shot for my 38/357 Revolver? I am in the process of cutting horse trails, in the woods, on my daughter's horse farm, and the snakes are out.  My grandson seen a big Rattler last fall while bush-hogin. Need some medicine for them and Copperheads. I pocket carry my 357 and need the snake shot ammo. 

Edited by pop pop