Last week I was driving back home from the store, rounded a tight corner with two lanes at near the speed limit of 25, there was a car in the other lane at least two car lengths behind also rounding the corner I drifted into the out side lane purposely knowing there was plenty of room to do so.

A few seconds later the car behind sped up to pace me in the other lane and he's yelling and flipping me off saying I cut him off..I did NOT intentionally do that, I am a careful considerate driver and was surprised at his reaction so I responded that "I didn't cut you off so F off buddy" and continued to travel at a sane speed.

He kept pacing me so I pulled over to defuse the situation and figure he would drive off but he didn't and he pulled over in front of me and got out of his car and had a tire knocker in his hand...he began walking toward my car still yelling.

Two lane but tight road between the Johnson city news building and some independent car dealer and bus station area..I figured if I began driving he might bash my car or impede me in some way so that option wasn't an option...

I was still in my car seat belt on, window down cause warm day and this anger management case decides he's gonna ruin my day...

So he's approaching yelling and carrying a tire knocker, I withdraw my pistol from inside jacket pocket hold it at shoulder level so he could see it and I cocked a round in the chamber (I don't carry with a round in the chamber, I figure it gives me that split second to consider the situation further) .

At that point Mr. Angry stops in his tracks and begins backing toward his car saying he's gonna get HIS gun..at that point he's no longer potentially impeding progress so I drive away..he CONTINUES to follow me so I head toward the police station and he turns around in the parking lot across from the dairy  queen and I pulled into the station, there was an officer outside and I told him the specifics including his description his plate number, my name and the fact I am armed and have a permit.

He took that information in his notepad and basically wished me a good day.

I'm concerned about retribution so I removed some bumper stickers that the previous owner had on the bumper and no longer for a bit wear that particular jacket..

I carry and have a distinctive swagger, it's just the way I walk and cannot change it but have been told I "walk like a bad ass"..I'm not looking for confrontation as demonstrated by my NOT blowing away an obvious threat when it would have been justified...I could have waited till he got to my open window tire knocker in hand and blasted him...But I chose NOT to deprive a fellow human his life due to his stupidity and aggression. 

My BRANDISHMENT stopped a tragedy.

Apologies for my writing style, I'm obviously not a novelist. 

Edited by Mindchatter

I try never to drift into another lane while turning. It was a thing to fail government drivers on when getting gov drivers license. I worked for the Post Office for 30 years. Glad you got out of it without using more force than you did.  Road Rage can get serious! 

• Like 3

I try to never drift over lanes anytime, but I know that happens, from time to time.  I have a pickup and people like to drive in my blind spot, from time to time.

Also I don't know that I would have pulled over to defuse the situation.  Seems like that gave him the opportunity to escalate the situation, by going to get his gun, after he saw you pull yours.  That being said, the rest of  what you did was great, especially driving to the police station.  I'm a bit disappointed in the officer, for not approaching the other driver and attempting to defuse the situation, in the capacity as a mediator, though.  Possibly that's not in his job desciption.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
12 hours ago, Mindchatter said:

Last week I was driving back home from the store, rounded a tight corner with two lanes at near the speed limit of 25, there was a car in the other lane at least two car lengths behind also rounding the corner I drifted into the out side lane purposely knowing there was plenty of room to do so.

A few seconds later the car behind sped up to pace me in the other lane and he's yelling and flipping me off saying I cut him off..I did NOT intentionally do that, I am a careful considerate driver and was surprised at his reaction so I responded that "I didn't cut you off so F off buddy" and continued to travel at a sane speed.

He kept pacing me so I pulled over to defuse the situation and figure he would drive off but he didn't and he pulled over in front of me and got out of his car and had a tire knocker in his hand...he began walking toward my car still yelling.

Two lane but tight road between the Johnson city news building and some independent car dealer and bus station area..I figured if I began driving he might bash my car or impede me in some way so that option wasn't an option...

I was still in my car seat belt on, window down cause warm day and this anger management case decides he's gonna ruin my day...

So he's approaching yelling and carrying a tire knocker, I withdraw my pistol from inside jacket pocket hold it at shoulder level so he could see it and I cocked a round in the chamber (I don't carry with a round in the chamber, I figure it gives me that split second to consider the situation further) .

At that point Mr. Angry stops in his tracks and begins backing toward his car saying he's gonna get HIS gun..at that point he's no longer potentially impeding progress so I drive away..he CONTINUES to follow me so I head toward the police station and he turns around in the parking lot across from the dairy  queen and I pulled into the station, there was an officer outside and I told him the specifics including his description his plate number, my name and the fact I am armed and have a permit.

He took that information in his notepad and basically wished me a good day.

I'm concerned about retribution so I removed some bumper stickers that the previous owner had on the bumper and no longer for a bit wear that particular jacket..

I carry and have a distinctive swagger, it's just the way I walk and cannot change it but have been told I "walk like a bad ass"..I'm not looking for confrontation as demonstrated by my NOT blowing away an obvious threat when it would have been justified...I could have waited till he got to my open window tire knocker in hand and blasted him...But I chose NOT to deprive a fellow human his life due to his stupidity and aggression. 

My BRANDISHMENT stopped a tragedy.

Apologies for my writing style, I'm obviously not a novelist. 

I'm glad both you and he made it home safe that day.

Deescalation is always preferred to escalation. Again, I'm glad you made it home (as did he), but you were literally at any point one decision away from a shoot-out. Had he had a firearm on his person, he may have not needed to chamber a round and may have had a quicker response time than you.

I highlighted the escalation performed by you in red. You needn't use inflammatory language, a simple "I"m very sorry" may well have ended everything on the spot. You claim to have pulled over to defuse the situation, which may very well have been your intent, but most of the time "pulling over" is purely meant for "settling the score". When you withdrew your pistol and chambered a round, that very well could have been seen as an immediate threat to his life. Had he shot you dead, it would have likely been his word vs the word of a dead person (you) who's vehicle was behind his. It would have looked like you followed him and pulled a firearm on him unless your family's lawyer could find video evidence.

You considered driving around him out of the question out of fear he may "bash your car or impede you" but then directly resorted to presenting deadly force which could have left either or both of you dead. Insurance fixes cars, not blood drainage holes.

Look, I understand that in the heat of the moment it can be tough to make the best decision. I just don't think you responded quite as well as you think you did. You mention being a "careful considerate" driver...that purposefully drifts into the lane in front of a car roughly two car lengths behind. Stay in your lane, I guess?

Driving to the police station was your smartest move. Although I do wonder, in this situation, what would happen if the other driver phoned the police and told them you brandished a weapon.

Go ahead, call me anti-gun, that's always fun. Here's a question, what is your exact motive for joining TGO and posting this thread? To get (or give) advice?

I have a somewhat similar and very true story that happened about 1-2 weeks ago. I'll create a post as to not derail this thread.

• Like 5

So I admit to being pretty hot headed in my younger days.  I used to say and do stuff that I knew would blow up the situation. I have since learned to ignore a lot of idiots in the world. Makes me happier and removes their validation. When being in any type of "altercation", your actions are all you can control.  I think one misstep, like in another recent thread, is your response. 

14 hours ago, Mindchatter said:

"I didn't cut you off so F off buddy"

Probably seemed appropriate at the time but it just antagonized him and moved the situation along.  Remember in lots of cases it might end up being your word against his and maybe he is a better storyteller than you. Especially when you are carrying, you have to remember that the first rule should be to avoid situation where you need to draw your weapon. What if he had been carrying his gun and immediately opened fire when he saw yours. From your seated position, he might have the upper hand. Now you were the one that pulled a gun and he responded in fear for his life. Or at least that is what he will say after he tosses the tire iron back in his trunk. Whether you can tell your side might simply come down to how good his aim is. 

I am leaving mine here just because. I guess I missed reading @GlockSpock's response. Sorry

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Like 2
  • 6 months later...

I maybe would have called 911 to report his behavior knowing he was following you or saw that he was not getting over it quickly.  It seems a good idea to report a crazed driver in case you did have to take action.   Just my thought. 

If I did have to merge in his lane, because of a turn I needed to make soon,  and he was at least 2 car lengths behind, I would've tried to give a signal. A signal would've let him know of your intentions.  He should drive in Cookeville during rush hour everyday. People got somewhere to be, they act like you're special effects, and just merge or turn. 

On 1/13/2021 at 6:49 PM, Mindchatter said:

as demonstrated by my NOT blowing away an obvious threat when it would have been justified

This kind of story worries me. OP failed to maintain his lane in traffic, something I see too much of. The guy behind him reacts in a negative way, OP escalates, then claims he exercised restraint and would have been justified to kill the other guy. OP makes a point of saying that people think he's Billy Bad Ass and walks with "a swagger", though the other driver couldn't have known that during the event in question. Those comments say something about his attitude.  Scary stuff, and just the sort of thing that the anti-gun crowd eats with a spoon.

I am generally armed when I'm driving a car, generally not when I'm riding my motorcycles. I decided long, long ago to avoid confrontational situations, and to react to every unavoidable confrontational situation as if I were NOT armed unless there is absolutely no alternative. As Dralarms suggested, usually a friendly wave and recognition of your error (and OP DID make an error by failing to maintain his lane) will diffuse the situation. It's pretty easy to wave and say "sorry"  even if you don't feel at fault in the situation. It would be pretty hard, and very expensive, to live with shooting someone over a situation that started a simple case of poor driving.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 3

If you can't check your ego....then one should reconsider carrying a gun.  Your explanation simply shows a pattern of escalation on both sides.  Notwithstanding carrying a gun without one in the chamber.  Bad technique at critical times.  Another story however.

• Like 4