Gun I sold was stolen!

Guest Rem_700

• Administrator
Tungsten?

I was just wondering how an unmarked car would try and pull someone over?

Was he shouting at you through the window "Citizen's Arrest?"

Unmarked dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee with blue strobes in the windshield up behind the sun visor. :)

The story is:

I was driving on Enon Springs Road and heading toward the Wal-Mart Super Center. This guy in the Jeep made an illegal cut-through via a bank parking lot to bypass the red light. When the light went green, I got on it pretty good and pinned him into the parking lot rather than let him cut line in front of me.

He jarred down on the horn, I saluted him with the middle finger out the window. That's when he fell in behind me and threw on the lights. :up:

Of course he clocked me doing 15mph over (bull****) but didn't have radar and claimed that he paced me according to the accurately calibrated speedometer in his Grand Cherokee. I'm sure pulling me over actually had nothing to do with the bird I sailed his way when he tried to cut line on the rest of us who had waited like law abiding citizens. Right?

I asked the female uniformed officer to cut straight with me and tell me if I stood a chance taking it to Smyrna's court house and explaining the situation to the judge. She confided that I was better off just paying the ticket and taking my lumps rather than trying to fight the issue and end up paying court costs on top of the ticket. So I made my donation by mail and have learned to keep my middle finger cocked and locked, but tucked away.

Nice huh? :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unmarked dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee with blue strobes in the windshield up behind the sun visor. :)

The story is:

I was driving on Enon Springs Road and heading toward the Wal-Mart Super Center. This guy in the Jeep made an illegal cut-through via a bank parking lot to bypass the red light. When the light went green, I got on it pretty good and pinned him into the parking lot rather than let him cut line in front of me.

He jarred down on the horn, I saluted him with the middle finger out the window. That's when he fell in behind me and threw on the lights. :up:

Of course he clocked me doing 15mph over (bull****) but didn't have radar and claimed that he paced me according to the accurately calibrated speedometer in his Grand Cherokee. I'm sure pulling me over actually had nothing to do with the bird I sailed his way when he tried to cut line on the rest of us who had waited like law abiding citizens. Right?

I asked the female uniformed officer to cut straight with me and tell me if I stood a chance taking it to Smyrna's court house and explaining the situation to the judge. She confided that I was better off just paying the ticket and taking my lumps rather than trying to fight the issue and end up paying court costs on top of the ticket. So I made my donation by mail and have learned to keep my middle finger cocked and locked, but tucked away.

Nice huh? :D

Man that sucks, that would have really chapped my A$$, but I guess sometimes you gotta just pay, I had a similar situation awhile back but ended up the Highway Patrolman didn't show up to court so it got thrown out and saved me alot of money.

Guest Rem_700

I know it looks bad on my behalf for not asking for his credentials,or to see his badge.But I have never been in trouble in my life before with the law,never even had a speeding ticket.When he showed up and said he was a detective with the scott co sherrifs dept,I just got very nervous thinking that I was going to jail for a stolen gun that I knew wasn't stolen.I kept telling him that we bought it from a pawn shop,but I was just very nervous and tore up about the whole deal.I didn't call today because I figured nobody would be working on a Saturday.I'll call Monday.It just boggles me that they would say they ran the serial numbers off the gun from the pics I posted when you can't even see the serial numbers.

Guest shadow12

If you have an issue with this after Monday, Call the sheriff, or go by and ask to speak to him. He is a good guy, I have worked with him several times. He is not a gungrabber like some in police work. Since you are getting this third hand, I suggest that you try to talk to the Det, then go from there, He may have gotten bad info also.

And lastly, if they ran the serial number, and it came back stolen, it may not even be that gun. I have seen a Mossberg 500 come back as stolen, after further research, it turned out that the stolen gun was a Thompson Contender. It had been entered wrong at the originating agency.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rem_700

The gun wasnt stolen.The Detctive said that it was a misunderstanding.That the Overton Co detective had a group of guns come up stolen in overton co and he was searching lsn for them and mine fit the destription.

Guest Irish_Red
You know, the really disturbing thing about this whole situation is that you apparently gave a lot of cooperation and information to someone who may or may not have been impersonating a police officer (unbeknownst to you at the time) during the initial face to face meeting.

So essentially you let someone come to (possibly into) your house and query you about a firearm, upon which you surrendered information about the buyer ... all of which without verifying that the person was really a law enforcement officer and all of which without a warrant being served to you.

Remind me to never buy a gun from you. :)

What the hell???

• 5 months later...
The gun wasnt stolen.The Detctive said that it was a misunderstanding.That the Overton Co detective had a group of guns come up stolen in overton co and he was searching lsn for them and mine fit the destription.

So it was just a cop going the extra mile to help out a victim? Good for him, I would hope if my guns were stolen I would get a detective like him working the case.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Having worked as an LEO in Putnam Co., right next to Overton, I can confirm that they may be a little too Mayberry for some but overall they mean well, served a couple of search warrants with them and they are a really tenacious bunch of good guys from my experience. Jackson Co. on the other hand is the biggest bunch of backwoods, inbred, corrupt, group I have ever had the displeasure of coming in contact with. I would suggest never stepping foot in that county unless forced to do so, seriously.

Edited by Glocked-N-Loaded
  • 7 months later...
Guest sportclimber

I don't know what County you live in. But as I read your post it seemed to me by the way you wrote it that you may not actually live in Overton County. Is that the case? If that is the case, a sheriff's officer from the county you live in should have been the one visiting you. Very suspicious...

I have bought a couple of guns from pawn shops that came back stolen.I have always got back my money from the pawn shop.I have been know to sell a gun from time to time but now Ialways take it to a dealer and pay to have transfer and nics check ,yes I know Idon't have to do that but it is pease of mind for me

If approached by a LEO at your home, 1. aks if you are the target of his inquiry, 2. ask for his card, 3. tell him your lawyer will respond, 4. thank him for his service. Do not invite him in and say nothing else.

I trust most LEOs, but i too have been the victim of a total jack a##. I will never speak to an officer again without a lawyer. It turned out to be nothing, but this jerk was trying to show the size of his balls. I have instructed my family to do the same, unless they are in danger.

Unmarked car: if it has lights, i will pull over. If he gets out in T shirt and shorts, i will ask for more proof from a distance.