Rock island tactical 1911

swiley383

I can't speak for to the particular model, but I have a RIA in 9mm that wouldn't feed HP ammo.  I suspect it was because the previous owner attempted to polish the feed ramp and messed it up.  I contacted RIA and they told me to send it to them.  The turn around was pretty quick and the customer service was great.  Most importantly, they actually fixed the issue. 

• Like 2

Own a couple of Rocks...9 and 45. Both cost me less than 350 apiece a few years back. Each will eat anything I have used in them and run like a 1000+ pistol. I can say with a straight face the neither have ever had a problem.  Maybe 2000 rounds run thru each. so just barely broken in. 

Wish I had a few more of them before the prices started rising so much on them.

I have a RI Ultra Tac Ii and really like it. The first one I bought had some issues and sent it to them for repairs.  They sent it back but it had the same issue. They ended up sending me a new gun. I did have the barrel throated and polished and it runs good. I recommend them.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:36 PM, BJB said:

I had the GI 38super. By far one of  my favorite 1911 

you can get an after market barrel from ER Shaw. Made it a great shooter 

I don't know why the .38 Super isn't more popular now. It would be a good caliber in newer design high capacity guns now.

6 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I don't know why the .38 Super isn't more popular now. It would be a good caliber in newer design high capacity guns now.

It is with out a doubt my all time favorite round. Can’t wait to get another one   I have had 2. 1-series 70 colt and the RI. I actually prefer the RI. Recoil is a lot less. 
mani want another 

I just picked up a RIA M1911A2 Ultra Tac. Haven't had a chance to shoot yet but looking forward to it. I have big hands and it is extremely comfortable to hold. 

I agree it's extremely heavy but I am looking forward to see how that works with the recoil of the 45 round as all my other pistols are 9mm. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, adesantis296 said:

I just picked up a RIA M1911A2 Ultra Tac. Haven't had a chance to shoot yet but looking forward to it. I have big hands and it is extremely comfortable to hold. 

I agree it's extremely heavy but I am looking forward to see how that works with the recoil of the 45 round as all my other pistols are 9mm. 

I bought the same model in 9. But only because it was there. lol I actually would have preferred to have the 45, but the shop said they couldn't keep either model in stock. Their comment was that the 10mm, the 45, and then the 9 was the order in which they sold out fastest.

I might have been tempted by the 10, even having to scrounge ammo for it. Never had a 10mm. Am I missing out?

1 hour ago, hipower said:

I bought the same model in 9. But only because it was there. lol I actually would have preferred to have the 45, but the shop said they couldn't keep either model in stock. Their comment was that the 10mm, the 45, and then the 9 was the order in which they sold out fastest.

I might have been tempted by the 10, even having to scrounge ammo for it. Never had a 10mm. Am I missing out?

I have never owned a 10mm. 45 and 9 cover all I will ever want in a pistol and ammo for both are/was easy to come by   My first 38 Super was actually the Colt and it was a gift. It had never been shot so I got the RI to try it out. Son has both now so I guess I am looking for another RI and it will definitely be in 38 Super 

8 hours ago, hipower said:

I wasn't actually actively looking for a 45 at this point. Was at Shoot Point Blank and was left unsupervised by my wife! They had the 10mm and the 45 in the case. Once I picked it up I wasn't putting it down. I'll let you know how it shoots when I finally get back there to shoot it this week! 

• Like 1

This is great info guys! Now if I just had money in the budget for another .45 LMAO. When I get a .38 super I'm thinking another witness or two.

Wait,what,,,did someone say they don't and have never had a .45? How is that possible?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I cannot dispute this.

I doubt anyone, except the rare individual who doesn't like them; would ever dispute owning many 1911s. 

And even those probably will change their opinions. I did.

Never liked the 1911 until Colt's Officers Model. Shot one my bil had. Bought one that afternoon. 😉 It was the first of a long line of 1911 pistols. 

Sold a few over the years...but still have that Colt.