Ed Brown magazine exchange program.

Grayfox54

Ok, 1911 lovers, I got this in the Guns America email this week. Ed Brown Products is running a special promotion where you can trade in your old, crappy 1911 mags in on brand new Ed Brown mags. Just send them your old mags and you can get new stainless mags for $10 each or black nitride mags for $15 each. This is roughly half price.聽

I know that many of us have accumulated cheap, unreliable mags over the years. Also some have just worn out, bent or been damaged. Here's a chance to put 'em to good use. I got to digging around in my junk and came up with 14 unmarked, no name, worn out old mags of questionable quality that I have somehow acquired over my 40+ years of being a 1911 fan.聽

Honestly, I've never used the Ed Brown Mags as I prefer Wilson. But they do have an excellent reputation and they gotta be better than this no name junk taking up space here. This is a good deal. I'm going for it.聽馃憤

[url=https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ed-brown-1911-mag-exchange-program/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20210115_FridayDigest_313&utm_campaign=/digest/ed-brown-1911-mag-exchange-program/] DETAILS HERE[/url]聽

• Like 3

They are fine, you may have to adjust the body width or the area where it transitions to the feed lips to get proper function and pass all the standard 1911 mag checks.

聽This is an annual deal with EB. I swapped聽about 20 mags a couple years ago. I think I had 7 out of that batch that had follower bind. Slightly out of spec body, but easy enough to open up. After that, all聽work just fine the 4 1911鈥檚 I tested them with.聽

I posted this on another forum and have been informed that EB mags are actually made by Check-Mate.聽 However, I can't verify this. But then the ones I'm trading in have no markings at all, not even caliber. They're the 2 for $5 specials you find at gun shows.聽聽So these must be an improvement.聽馃檮

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I鈥檓 a Chip McCormick fan for 1911聽mags.

Always been a Wilson man聽myself. 聽But, for the price, I'll try the EBs.聽

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I鈥檓 a Chip McCormick fan for 1911聽mags.

Me too. I have a lot that I have acquired over the years both blued and stainless.All were bought or traded for less than $15 apiece.After聽Wilson bought them out they go for $30 + depending on the model.That鈥檚 Wilson money and I have quite a few of them too.To the OP, I did the trade in for the EB mags last year with 5 no name mags I had.Upon receiving them I saw they were Checkmate mags,same as the mags that came with my Sig XO.They work fine聽

Edited by et45

Yes, the current EB magazines have been Checkmate for about the last ten years. They used to be another manufacturer鈥檚聽rebranded to EB. 聽I think they were Metalform,聽but don鈥檛 quote me. 聽

Checkmate magazines are definitely in the top five 1911 magazine manufacturers. I personally will rank them ahead of Chip McC. 聽I have heard a few bad reviews of the 8rd 45 Checkmates but as a whole they are good and worth trying. The 7rd EB are the best $20 magazines for 1911s. Also, 1911s are one of those guns that what works聽in one may not work in another.聽

I got introduced to a 9mm 1911 fanatic before Covid stopped all training. His thought was, if you are ok with 9rd 9mm magazines, there is no reason to buy anything other than Checkmate聽brand 9mm magazines. The same can be said for 38S, 10mm, and 40 1911 magazines. Even WC screwed up on their first attempt of 10rd 9mm magazines.

My thought: If you aren鈥檛 trading in more than three magazines your better off buying the EB and selling your crap magazines for whatever they bring. 聽You pay shipping both ways with the trade-in. 聽

If I recall the WC lack of a feed ramp聽built into the mag聽presented the issues for the 10round 9mm ETM, but it鈥檚 all resolved and they will replace them. 聽I have several 10rd 9mm Tripp Cobras that are flawless. 聽My Springfield ETM has factory 10 round magazines made by Metalform that work flawlessly too. 聽I have never had the issues with 10rd 9mm 1911 magazines that so many people report.

Edited by Patton
On 1/17/2021 at 12:42 PM, Patton said:

Y I have heard a few bad reviews of the 8rd 45 Checkmates but as a whole they are good and worth trying.

These are the ones I was referring to for my trade ins. They are OEM for Sig Sauer as well, so having used them in my Sig 1911's聽 it was a known quantity for me. The issues generally are related to the mag bodies having some forming variation causing the excellent mag follower to hang up in the top third of the tube.

All easy to sort out though if you run 8 round mags.

8 hours ago, Erich said:

These are the ones I was referring to for my trade ins. They are OEM for Sig Sauer as well, so having used them in my Sig 1911's聽 it was a known quantity for me. The issues generally are related to the mag bodies having some forming variation causing the excellent mag follower to hang up in the top third of the tube.

All easy to sort out though if you run 8 round mags.

Yeah, I would not hesitate to give them a try. 聽 聽 The reports of issues are actually pretty rare.