Selling stuff lately

Alleycat72

I try to price stuff fair, but it's getting crazy. I just sold a tiller on Craigslist in about a minute and a half. I had people blowing up my email while I was loading it in the guys truck. A buddy is picking up 50k 5.56 and will probably have it sold before he gets home from the 6 hour drive. I just hate to price gouge someone. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, alleycat72 said:

I try to price stuff fair, but it's getting crazy. I just sold a tiller on Craigslist in about a minute and a half. I had people blowing up my email while I was loading it in the guys truck. A buddy is picking up 50k 5.56 and will probably have it sold before he gets home from the 6 hour drive. I just hate to price gouge someone. 

You obviously priced the tiller too low.  "Fair" is a subjective term, make sure you're "fair" to yourself first ...

• Like 5
  • Love 1

If I have something to sell I'm going to sell at market value, or possibly below if I'm just looking to get something out of the way.  I don't recall ever selling any ammo, but if I were to sell ammo today I would price it based on it's market value, just like anything else.  What I will not do is find ammo in stock, buy it out and sell it at a profit.  Though during the last ammo shortage I was known to buy it up and resell to family, friends, and even some TGOers at the price I paid.  Anything to keep it out of the scalper's hands. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I found a box of Buffalo Bore 45-70 in some stuff in the garage. I no longer own a gun in 45-70. I don't have the stomach to list it for some obnoxious price. I gave it to someone I know that has a gun chambered for it. Not everything is about money.

The way things look like they're headed, I don't think money is gonna buy much anyway. 

• Like 11
2 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

I'd hate to see what he paid per rd nowadays

That is the one advantage perhaps in going with an auction. You can set a starting price that is a good deal. If it goes for more, that is not on you. 

I generally start an item here under market, no takers than I try auction. Id rather have it stay here, but we all know what cheapskates we all are 😝

I like to think it’s not rationalizing scalping. It cuts both ways, it’s not like someone is going to offer me a solid the other direction, right? Say, “hey,...whatever you want you get at historically low prices no matter what or when you buy it “

If I choose to buy today of my on volition, I don’t think I’m being taken advantage of.  Buyers determine their own needs in a free market. 

• Like 8
On 1/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, Erich said:

Buyers determine their own needs in a free market. 

True enough if we're talking about non-essential items like ammo or components. Not so true if we're talking about essentials after a disaster. 

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the current market for ammo and components, and I'm trying not to participate. Another thread here on TGO linked to a GB ad in which a 525 box of .22 ammo was bid up to $250. That strikes me as insane, but it was an auction and no one was forced to bid. Honestly, I'm dismayed by the whole thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I say make hay while the sun shines....like "No One" said make sure your fair to yourself first.  For all the people riding the high horse I would say no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.  Also its easy to sit on that perch if all your bills are paid in full and ya got no mortgage no kids and or your already retired.  For 99% of the people that have any bills remaining I say charity begins at home and take care of your bills and family while you can as long as your not forcing anyone into anything its not unethical its just a free market.  Capitalism rocks!  

Fourth Of July Wrestling GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, alleycat72 said:

I'm trying to find some ammo for the hog outfitter I use in Texas. He charges an extra $50 if you use one of his guns.  Unfortunately they are mostly 7.62x39 sp. That went from dirt cheap to gold quickly. 

AIM Surplus got a shipment in a few days ago.  It's OOS now, but if you sign up for their mailing list, you can get notified when the next batch arrives ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a wide range of behavior, and it does not generalize well.

There is a marked difference between opportunists who seek out and buy up high demand items during a (perceived) crisis versus selling excess or items you planned to sell and you are afforded the rare opportunity to break even or profit  instead of taking the usual loss due to market conditions.

We are talking the differences between in timing, scale, and intent. Plus value judgements.

Are you moral for selling home in a down market vs immoral for selling when the market is high?

Closer to home. What about the guys who simply enjoy buying and selling characterized by going to auctions or prowl the classified for deals, and later selling them at a profit? The difference being a year and half ago they were just a gun enthusiast doing a classic buy low sell high without issue. Now they sell, and make a bigger margin due to increased demand we need to view them differently.

Is the expectation they should take all items off market and wait until a republican is in office and there is a glut?

Economics does not make someone evil. Not that there aren't those who you'd love to see hung by their junk. The guy last March who bought up the 18k bottles of hand sanitizer for example.

The flip side of that seems to demand you never accept something discounted. Is that not the buyer taking advantage of market conditions? We all seek out to pay full price at all times, right? Whether its someone who is forced to sell on a timeline for cash versus or someone selling during a glut, anyone buying is therefore just as immoral. Some even "stack it deep" on speculation without that same value judgement. May be a touch hypocritical.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I say make hay while the sun shines....like "No One" said make sure your fair to yourself first.  For all the people riding the high horse I would say no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.  Also its easy to sit on that perch if all your bills are paid in full and ya got no mortgage no kids and or your already retired.  For 99% of the people that have any bills remaining I say charity begins at home and take care of your bills and family while you can as long as your not forcing anyone into anything its not unethical its just a free market.  Capitalism rocks!  

Fourth Of July Wrestling GIF

Spoken like a true Car Salesman!!! lol Rabbi would be proud!

Hey...I'm sorta, kinda, in the biz. Have some money in a family note lot. No real profit these days, but I hope to get a nice used pickup for my investment.

Edited by hipower
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, leroy said:

The truth of the matter is that people will always be people... Ya are simply findin out who the "opportunists" n "users" are.  Choose your business deals n friends wisely...

That us all...

watchin n choosin leroy...

While this is true in a sense, I suggested to everyone they should stock up when there was no fear and everyone was fat , lazy, and comfortable. Back when ARs were $400 and stores had so much ammo there wasn't enough room in the shelves. Everyone's response was " I'll wait. I think the crazy times are over. I don't think we'll see any shortages again" 

In the last 6-8 months, I get phone calls daily of panicked people complaining and whining about availability and prices. 

I really have no sympathy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, hornett22 said:

While this is true in a sense, I suggested to everyone they should stock up when there was no fear and everyone was fat , lazy, and comfortable.  ... ...

In the last 6-8 months, I get phone calls daily of panicked people complaining and whining about availability and prices. 

I really have no sympathy. 

I understand... " People are still people and opportunists are still opportunists "... Everybody learns at their own pace. 

I kinda fall off the " cynical wagon " from time ta time and get ta thinkin we are a " community "... I always seen ta get this one wrong... We are a microcasm of our greater society...

...This little soliquey aint aimed at you, Brother... Its just a sad musing and a proof of what we are...  SIGH...

sad leroy, the melancoly curmudgeon...

• Like 3

We sold an in box trampoline on Facebook Marketplace back in May or so. Priced it a bit above what we paid 2 years before just to be an even number. Sold in 30 seconds and lady wanted to pick up in 20 minutes. I had messages about it for days even after wife closed the ad. We had no idea they were so hard to get then. Could have probably doubled the price. Hopefully her kid loved it. Mine had simply outgrown it by the time we bought it to replace one damaged by the wind. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, No_0ne said:

AIM Surplus got a shipment in a few days ago.  It's OOS now, but if you sign up for their mailing list, you can get notified when the next batch arrives ...

I've always liked AIM and have had good results with their on PPU ammo.

• Like 1

I have been buying and selling reloading components, mostly at non market price.  Right now, I prefer doing trades, that way market price doesn't hurt either party.  But every now and then, I find a good deal, from retailers, that I jump on, like some .277 bullets I just got from Midway, at pre-madness prices.

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1

In terms of selling, I do some light research on what a reasonable price is.

If I know ya, you'll get a friendsvamd family discount.

If not, well, the price is the price. It's fair and I probably don't have to sell.

Buying is tricky. Emotional impulses can create logical justification.