Interested in learning reloading.

Outstanding advice in this thread! 馃憤

I learned handloading from a Hornady 1985-86 version book. No interwebs back then,,, that and asking questions in my local gunshop outside Kansas City.

I still use an old Lee single stage press I purchased in the late 1980's, and a Dillon 550 B from the same era.

Dillon customer service, as mentioned, is unrivaled. I shoot mostly 9mm, so the Dillon has been set up for that for several years now.

That old Lee single stage. Well, I thought I'd replace it with something "better" when it finally wore out. I'm still waiting LOL.

I use it for 38 spl. .357, .380, and 5.56 and I use it a lot.

I usually deprime and straighten 1000 or so pieces of brass. Expand the case mouth then Hand prime them and set them aside. It kind of spreads the labor out for me. When I'm ready to load all I have to do is drop the powder and seat the bullets. I have 1000 primed .38 and 500 primed .357 still waiting on me and I've been loading and shooting those rounds quite a bit over the past 12 months. PsyOps on myself...maybe...but it works for me. 馃槈

I would highly recommend purchasing a chronograph... sooner rather than later.

I picked up a Competition Electronic Chrono several years ago and find it an absolutely essential tool for safe load development.

As with everything shooting related, they are probably in short supply right now. It's the nature of our current situation. But it'll change eventually.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020438152?pid=988434

Welcome to one of the best aspects of firearms Derek ! 馃檪

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, DeepSouth said:

Jamie, where you finding 5.56 data, all I can find is a repeat of .223. None of the 223 cases I've loaded needs trimming. Every 556 cases needs trimming.

LOL. I hear ya.

I honestly have no idea at the moment. I'll dig around my notes this weekend.

I'll usually go through the PIA process of trimming around 1000 5.56 brass and reprime...then set it aside. Just like I do my .38's and .357.

I know I found a load for 5.56 using H335 (one of it's original powders iirc), it's around 25 grs with a 55 gr bullet. And it shoot well for me.

But let me look when I have a chance and see what I did and hopefully why I did it. Lord only know... 馃槈

Some people get an universal decapping die. Set it up in a聽press and decap everything they reload. Some people use the sizing/decapping die from a set聽that they are reloading. The sizing die brings the case back聽into size of what the case should be. Some people call it resizing. Resizing to me is taking a case and form it another case. Like trimming a 357 to a 38 spl, 44 mag to a 44 spl, 223/556 to a 300 blackout. There's a few others.

4 hours ago, DeepSouth said:

Some people get an universal decapping die. Set it up in a聽press and decap everything they reload. Some people use the sizing/decapping die from a set聽that they are reloading. The sizing die brings the case back聽into size of what the case should be. Some people call it resizing. Resizing to me is taking a case and form it another case. Like trimming a 357 to a 38 spl, 44 mag to a 44 spl, 223/556 to a 300 blackout. There's a few others.

The only reforming聽I think I've ever done is, reforming聽.30-06 cases to 8mm Mauser.聽

On 1/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, gregintenn said:

I started reloading on my father's RCBS press when I was a kid. When I married and moved out, I bought Lee reloading tools because they were inexpensive. Fast forward 25 years, except for a few exceptions, I'm still using Lee products, not because of economy anymore, but because I see no need in upgrading. They work!

I don't wish to discourage you, but you've picked a terrible time to begin reloading, as supplies are not to be found at this time. Don't fret, however, this will pass. We've seen it before, and we'll see it again.

Nothing wrong with Lee presses and dies. I have a broad range of brands, and still use lots of Lee. Another vote for "The ABC's of Reloading". That's the Bible.

• Like 2

Dont knock a single stage press for handgun rounds. Its all I ever used since the mid 60's and I never felt they were to slow. I can kill time watching TV or reloading in the workshop.聽 Nothing wrong with being alone for a few hours and assembling聽a couple hundred rounds of 9mm or 45 acp.

If your a competitive shooter I can understand going to a progressive press.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2021 at 7:18 PM, RandyB said:

Dont knock a single stage press for handgun rounds. Its all I ever used since the mid 60's and I never felt they were to slow. I can kill time watching TV or reloading in the workshop.聽 Nothing wrong with being alone for a few hours and assembling聽a couple hundred rounds of 9mm or 45 acp.

If your a competitive shooter I can understand going to a progressive press.

I started out with a rock chucker [ https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013036852?pid=937051]. Used it for many years as my only reloader. It still serves my well with many tasks, including reloading rifle cases, reforming cases from one to another. Example is like was said forming 8 millimeter cases from 30/06.

For pistol I use my Dillon 650. Much easier for 9, 38 spl, 40, and 45. A single station press would never keep up with demand. I shoot a lot of USPSA practical pistol.

Please stay away from Lee loaders. They aren't very well made and wear out quickly[ just my opinion ]

聽If I can get you started in reloading let me know.

Ray