Let’s talk blue jeans

gregintenn

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Sam's Members Mark. 14/15 bucks each.

I've been wearing these for about 18 yrs. Buy a new pair every year or so and put them into rotation. Currently have 9 or 10 pair in various condition. 

When I first bought a pair, they cost about $12.50 and I wasn't willing to pay $40 or $50 for jeans.

I grew up wearing boot cut Wranglers until my physiological geography shifted in my 40s.  I switched to Wrangler Carpenter jeans and pick up a pair whenever I catch a pair on a really good sale and add them to the stack.  I have a garage / yard stack and a wear away from the house stack.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Diamond Gussett jeans are very well built and comfortable.  They are sold in Bon Aqua outside of Dickson at one of their outlets. All materials and labor are American. 

They also have a store in Lynchburg. Not cheap but made in Tennessee I believe and I hear they are comfy and last a long time.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, papa61 said:

Wore Levis and nothing else until they went overseas with production. Switched to Wrangler because they were made in U.S.A.

Now just something cheap I can fit my fat a$$ into. I no longer do labor, had to take a desk due to my back so I can't speak to sturdiness.

Overalls are comfortable, have to agree. good ones are hard to find now since wally world ran good retailers out of business.

GREG, is macon dept store still in business?

They are open. Terry passed away last year, but he left the store to the girl who worked for him. She’s still running it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Garufa said:

I almost hate to admit this being a lifelong Levi’s man (after the tragic Sears Toughskins upbringing that I had no control over), but I’ve been wearing nothing but Academy’s Magellan house brand jeans for years now.  They fit and wear great, especially in the part that really matters. I’ve never seen them priced over $17.99, lol.

I’ll give these a try. I used to wear Levis, but the price kept climbing and the quality kept declinng.

Do they make those toughskin double knee jeans for adults? Man, those things sucked!

Edited by gregintenn

You're not a cheapskate, you're frugal. 

I've also worn the Magellan brand with no complaints. I'm not super hard on clothes, but they last fine for me. I got a pair of Dickies for Christmas and they seem to be made well enough.  At 1/4 the price of Duluth, I think they're a pretty good value. If I got the Duluth, I'd end up with perfectly good jeans covered in stains. 

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Yes, from my understanding, Clarksville is the closest location to middle TN, and the only one as well.

There’s one in Glasgow, Kentucky that is close to me. I tried on a pair once. Didn’t care for them.

Last time I went there I got ran out for not wearing a mask. Not to pumed up about that either.

Edited by gregintenn

Wrangler.  Until recently, all made in the USA.  Now assembled in Mexico, Guatamala, Puerto Rico, and other places.  Fabric is still mostly made in USA.

Have you tried the 'relaxed fit' style.  A little extra room where us older guys need it.

• Like 2

I've been buying Pointer Brand jeans and overalls for years - made in Bristol, TN. But now apparently denim is a designer trend, and they've gotten too proud of their stuff. Carpenter pants went from less than $50 last time I bought em to $115 now! Ridiculous!

• Wow 1
20 hours ago, Raoul said:

Duluth has some bulletproof clothing..

I haven’t tried their jeans. I’m still a Levi’s guy. Their cold weather gear is the best I’ve ever worn. I’ve regularly had to open vents to cool down.

Edited by Links2k
1 hour ago, TNTall said:

I've been buying Pointer Brand jeans and overalls for years - made in Bristol, TN. But now apparently denim is a designer trend, and they've gotten too proud of their stuff. Carpenter pants went from less than $50 last time I bought em to $115 now! Ridiculous!

The younger generation recently took over the company. 

7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I’ll give these a try. I used to wear Levis, but the price kept climbing and the quality kept declinng.

Do they make those toughskin double knee jeans for adults? Man, those things sucked!

did we have the same mother? toughskins were the worst

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

Wrangler.  Until recently, all made in the USA.  Now assembled in Mexico, Guatamala, Puerto Rico, and other places.  Fabric is still mostly made in USA.

Have you tried the 'relaxed fit' style.  A little extra room where us older guys need it.

I do have one pair of Wranglers that fir great. I need to look and see if I can tell what style they are. I think my wife got them out of a bin at Ollie’s maybe.

And who are you calling an older guy??!!?😁

Edited by gregintenn
15 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Diamond Gussett jeans are very well built and comfortable.  They are sold in Bon Aqua outside of Dickson at one of their outlets. All materials and labor are American. 

These are solid jeans. I prefer Imogene & Willie for my going out jeans but you won't like the price.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Long time Wrangler man myself. Usually pick em up at Wal-Mart or Target. They come in a wide range of waists and lengths along with several different style cuts to fit pretty near anybody. Good, long lasting jeans at reasonable prices. 👍

Uh, aren't you Levis guys aware that not only is that company rabidly anti-gun, but they are also huge financial supporters of just about every major left wing cause there is?  I mean this has only been common knowledge for the last 30 years or so. 🙄

I tried to avoid wally world because of their predatory practice of destroying the competition then lowering their selection. Then they began political statements, last year they pulled pistol ammo. this year? walmart is dead to me.

• Like 3

At some point my 501's turned into 550's and 560's as I started to be challenged with my....err...density level?

When Levi's started to be less attractive, my wife, who is a huge fan of Kohl's sales brought home a pair of jeans by Chaps. They were more just a bit more generous in the seat than the relaxed Levi's without giving you the pooped in your pants look of some relaxed fit jeans. The 5 or 6 years that's my preference when she has coupons. 

I've noticed that in the last few years, almost all brands have gotten worse about size variation. Which doesn't play nice with my size variation. So I prefer to go to the store to pick them out. I take one of those 3ft mini tape measures with me and confirm the waist and  and inseam are on the right side of the number, Sometimes that extra inch isnt you!

...but most of the time...yeah, it is.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, btq96r said:

Duluth's ballroom relaxed fit jeans are quite simply the best I've ever owned.  They retail for about $60, and the gosseted crotch is worth it.  They can fit everything from casual to a good pair of jeans to wear with a button down shirt and a blazer for a decent look.

If you've for the time to visit, the store in Franklin often has sales going on.

I have two pair of these.  A little stretchy also.

Edited by Daniel