Arizona Republicans file ‘2nd Amendment Sanctuary’ bill to ban state aid in federal anti-gun activity

This morning I sent a letter to my state representatives Sen. Paul Rose and Rep. John Gillespie asking them to put together legislation to protect our Constitutional Rights and make Tennessee a Sanctuary Gun State.   I am asking all TGO members to please contact their state representatives.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/arizona/arizona-republicans-file-2nd-amendment-sanctuary-bill-to-ban-state-aid-in-federal-anti-gun/article_e4883a3e-59dd-11eb-8c41-23a13b0c6336.html

A handful of Arizona Republicans are behind a push to make their state the fifth to keep state resources from assisting in any federal activity they consider contrary to the Second Amendment. 

State Rep. Leo Biasiucci, R-Lake Havasu City, filed the Second Amendment Firearm Freedoms Act on Jan. 14. Like other measures, it would ban the use of local resources from enforcing any federal law or executive rule that could be seen as running afoul the constitutional right to bear arms. 

“This state and all political subdivisions of this state are prohibited from using any personnel or financial resourced to enforce, administer, or cooperate with any act, law, treaty, order, rule or regulation of the United States government that violates Amendment II of the Constitution of the United States,” the bill reads. 

Alaska, Idaho, Kansas, and Wyoming have passed similar measures.

The bill also declares any federal measure deemed to run up against the 2nd Amendment to be “null, void and unenforceable in this state,” but federal laws supersede state-enacted measures. Other similar resolutions have been seen as symbolic.

The bill was introduced just days before President-elect Joe Biden is to be sworn in. On the campaign trail, the former vice president promised to enact gun control measures, including a ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and institute universal background checks.

First coined by a southern Illinois state’s attorney in 2010, Second Amendment sanctuaries quickly proliferated and are now standing resolutions in hundreds of towns and counties across the nation. 

Supporters say gun sanctuary laws mirror other states keeping cooperation from federal immigration agents attempting to deport undocumented residents. 

The Giffords Law Center, named after former Arizona Congresswoman and assassination survivor Gabby Giffords said in a 2019 report that Second Amendment Sanctuaries threaten gun laws that would save lives.

“At a time when states across the country are looking for smart public policy that will reduce gun violence and save lives, gun policy must be based on evidence, not misguided rhetoric,” the report reads. 

• Like 2

I have already been contacted back by both representatives.  Here is a copy of the response from Paul Rose.

Good morning:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me. There are already several bills filed or pending that address this topic, and I will certainly keep your support of these in mind as these bills progress through session.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be able to assist with anything else.

Sincerely,

Senator Paul Rose 

Cordell Hull Building, Suite 734

425 5th Ave N.

Nashville, TN 37243

P: 615-741-1967

E: sen.paul.rose@capitol.tn.gov

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Neither of the tow bill filed which open that Chapter have any teeth, 

It is what our State legislature does, campaign.  If we simply had a statement that you can not drive over the posted speed limit, with no punishment such as fines or imprisonment for reckless endangerment with a vehicle, do you think that it would be safe to get on the road? (like it is now with those punishments in place)

There is a possibility that the caption bill by one will be amended, the sponsor of the other will not accept a friendly amendment.  That one is pandering at best, and campaigning for sure. 

Edited by Worriedman