Magpul AK Mags

Does anyone have any personal experience with Magpul AK mags? I noticed a huge price difference in the "gen 3"ones with the metal locking tab. But internet scuttle doesn't seem to be to be too harsh on the earlier style with just polymer. They both just have polymer feedlips.  

My only experience with AK mags were the chinese flatbacks which were always good to go back when I had them and my Poly Tech.

Thanks

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, felinesNfreedom said:

I have both 74 and 47 Magpul mags. They work fine. I have a couple of the gen 3's and they are a really tight fit for most of my guns. I think the steel commercial Bulgarians are the best buy at the moment.

100% this. 

• Like 2

No issue out of that MOE version in any of my AK's. Hair tight in my Polish AK. They dont fit a couple speed loaders designed for the smaller metal form factor.

If you like poly mags, I recommend the Bulgy poly's. They are metal reinforced and fit well in pretty much anything and are inexpensive.  I have some steel Bulgy's that wont fit my Polish but good in others.

If you look at tanker size 20 rounds. The PMAG version I tried (4 of them) would spring bind at 19 rounds FWIW.

• Like 1

I looked for surplus mags. . not a lot out there right now in stock that I could find other than Korean or Croation mags and I was not really too keen on those. I bought a dozen of the Magpul $13.99  non gen 3. I expect they should be alright. 

I have some of the Korean tanker mags. They run well. They are notorious about their tab thickness causing them not to lock in on some guns. Newest ones are suppose to be better, but if not a few passes with a file and you get that custom fit 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, turkeydad said:

I looked for surplus mags. . not a lot out there right now in stock that I could find other than Korean or Croation mags and I was not really too keen on those. I bought a dozen of the Magpul $13.99  non gen 3. I expect they should be alright. 

The price sounds good. Please let us know how you like them.

• Like 1