Opinions on buying Holsters, Ammo Cans and Rifle Cases

I need some opinions on some items i want to buy without end up wasting money.

I need a new holster for my Glock G45 9mm to wear outside the waistline. Maybe something that locks over the back of the slide while in the holster. Any manufacturers i should consider?

I need a rifle case for my AR. It has a 16" barrel and 32" total in length. Id like to have enough space for the rifle a side arm and a couole of mags. Ive seen plano, pelican, savior nanuk and case club on amazon. Looking for something sturdy but not something i need to spend a arm and a leg on.

Finally im looking to buy a "tactical" magazine ammo box to store my 5.56 mags in maybe 9mm as well. Cant seem to find a quality one, prefer metal instead of plastic.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I've went through dozens of holsters before finally deciding on just a plain pancake style leather holster for daily carry.  I found a good custom holster maker (https://www.desertgunleather.com) and have been having him make all of my holsters since.  I do usually have to wait 4-6 weeks for any new holster.  The only non-pancake holster I've purchased in the last few years is I had Rick make an Avenger style holster for the IWI Masada setup for a Holosun dot sight.  I prefer leather holsters for comfort.  Wet-molded leather has enough retention for my use since I don't plan on running... not even to chase down an ice-cream truck. <grin>

• Like 3
5 hours ago, NwoSlave said:

Finally im looking to buy a "tactical" magazine ammo box to store my 5.56 mags in maybe 9mm as well. Cant seem to find a quality one, prefer metal instead of plastic.

I just get surplus military ammo cans and some dense cell foam and make my own. Metal and water tight. If you are storing for a while, pick up some bags of silica gel (easy to find on Amazon)  and drop one in each can to control moisture. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I just get surplus military ammo cans and some dense cell foam and make my own. Metal and water tight. If you are storing for a while, pick up some bags of silica gel (easy to find on Amazon)  and drop one in each can to control moisture. 

This is what I do as well. If you really want to get "uptown" in storage, check Amazon for some foam inserts for ammo cans that are precut to hold mags in place. I've got some of 9mm and 556 both. And for real slick storage, you can get some nice molded plastic cans for them as well.

Either method will work.

• Like 2

I have a Bianchi Model 82 leather OWB for my G19/G26. It has their "Carry Lock" retention. There's a catch that holds the trigger guard and a lever /switch right below it to release it. I like it well enough, though I usually carry a single stack (Kahr PM9, G43, or Shield) IWB in a Remora holster.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2

For the times I open carry I very much like the Safariland ALS holsters.  A tough holster with level II retention that still allows for a quick draw of the gun although it lacks the aesthetics of a finely crafted leather holster.

For a hard case I have been pleased with these Pelican alternatives: https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weatherproof-protective-rifle-case-long-black-64520.html

• Like 2

For the hard case, how sturdy are you talking about? A cheap Plano from Academy will keep a long gun protected for going to/from the range in the trunk of a car/back of a truck. I wouldn't want to use one as checked baggage on an airline for a hunting trip. You also can't store one on the bottom of a pile of crap without deforming the plastic. For stronger I'd opt for something like that Harbor Freight one if I needed to ship one or store it with stacks of other stuff on top of it. Of course if we're talking about a multi-thousand dollar hand crafted O/U shotgun, Pelican all the way.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I’ve got one of those Harbor freight Apache cases, and it is about as sturdy of a case as I’ve seen. With the coupon you can usually get it for about $110 or so.

i’ve also got to say that if you need an overt holster with active retention, the Safariland with the ALS system is the only way to go. Everything else runs the gamut from merely falling short, to straight garbage (Serpa).

• Like 2
On 1/22/2021 at 10:18 PM, hipower said:

This is what I do as well. If you really want to get "uptown" in storage, check Amazon for some foam inserts for ammo cans that are precut to hold mags in place. I've got some of 9mm and 556 both. And for real slick storage, you can get some nice molded plastic cans for them as well.

Either method will work.

im going to sound stupid but all i can find on amazon is foam for  .50  nothing for 9 or 5.56. can you link to what you have bought in the past?

On 1/23/2021 at 9:30 AM, billyblazes said:

For the times I open carry I very much like the Safariland ALS holsters.  A tough holster with level II retention that still allows for a quick draw of the gun although it lacks the aesthetics of a finely crafted leather holster.

For a hard case I have been pleased with these Pelican alternatives: https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weatherproof-protective-rifle-case-long-black-64520.html

I just bought the case from Harbor Freight today. I used all my gift cards to pay for it, no coupons were available but i didnt pay for it *thumbsup*.  im going to pluck while watching some football.

i took a look at safariland and it appears ill have to learn about all the different locking mechanisms so i can choose which is best.