Coved Shot

pop pop

The local V A Hospital called me this morning, and I get my first Coved shot on Wednesday(27th) and the second 4 weeks later. Getting the Moderna(S) Vaccine. Will be exceedingly glad.

Been told to take a Modem tablet prior. Let you know how it goes.

• Like 7

I’ve had both my Moderna shots. First one gave me minor aches. Second had a headache off and on for two days. The people I know that felt bad after the first didn’t have any side effects on the 2nd. Everybody has said they had shoulder pain so go with your weak side and see if they can give it higher up. Good luck

• Like 2

We have a daughter that is against taking the shot. Her son, who has downs syndrome, needs the shot, IMO. He goes with us camping all the time. Hoping she relents after we get ours. 

We have plans of making our out west trip in June. Gong to the Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam, Zion N P, Las Vegas, then up through Utah (Salt Lake City) into Idaho, then across Oregon and down into Northern California, then back through Colorado and back into Middle Tennessee. We don't feel good about taking Cody with us if he is not vaccinated for Coved. I told my wife if he gets Coved, and gets put into the hospital, and can have no visitors, he would be terrified. As you know, this disease is one, that if you get it, and you pass away, you do it ALONE. I can't imagine that child being put into the hospital and "possibly" dying alone. Scary thought! 

Hope she sees nothing happening to us, after we get vaccinated, then she will allow him to get the shots. Only way we will take him with us on this trip. If we make this trip then we will have camped in all of the lower 48 states. We lack 3 states now, Nevada, Oregon, and California. Hoping to get them checked off the "Bucket List" this year. 

Wednesday is the big day for me getting my first shot.

Edited by pop pop

I was at the VA clinic on Friday, and the nurse who drew blood told me she'd had her first shot the day before. She said she was achy and tired, but able to work. I'm sure the Motrin is to combat the achiness.

VA is still doing an age group older than mine, but as soon as it's available to me, I'm in.

• Like 1

My wife, and most of her co-workers, have gotten it and had no serious issues.  Several had slight fevers, headaches, body aches, etc. for a day or so afterwards but we're five within a couple of days. The consensus amongst them is that mild symptoms for a couple of days is better than getting covid.  

One thing that we noticed talking to others that have been vaccinated is an inconsistency about directions of things to do/not to do before receiving the vaccination.  Some people that I know were specifically instructed not to take ibuprofen based pain relievers/fever reducers before, or within a couple of days of receiving the shot.  Others were not given that info.  The more you know...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, pop pop said:

We have a daughter that is against taking the shot. Her son, who has downs syndrome, needs the shot, IMO. He goes with us camping all the time. Hoping she relents after we get ours. 

We have plans of making our out west trip in June. Gong to the Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam, Zion N P, Las Vegas, then up through Utah (Salt Lake City) into Idaho, then across Oregon and down into Northern California, then back through Colorado and back into Middle Tennessee. We don't feel good about taking Cody with us if he is not vaccinated for Coved. I told my wife if he gets Coved, and gets put into the hospital, and can have no visitors, he would be terrified. As you know, this disease is one, that if you get it, and you pass away, you do it ALONE. I can't imagine that child being put into the hospital and "possibly" dying alone. Scary thought! 

Hope she sees nothing happening to us, after we get vaccinated, then she will allow him to get the shots. Only way we will take him with us on this trip. If we make this trip then we will have camped in all of the lower 48 states. We lack 3 states now, Nevada, Oregon, and California. Hoping to get them checked off the "Bucket List" this year. 

Wednesday is the big day for me getting my first shot.

I went west the last week of may and spent a week and a half out there.  Drove to New Orleans and visited the WW2 museum then to San Antonio > Tucson.  Those were long driving days.  Once I got to AZ I took it easy and drove through mountain roads up to the Sedona area.  Highly recommend.  Went to the Grand Canyon with the intent to hike down to the river and back but no shuttles meant I had to walk to the start of the trail head.  It was about 0430 and a large Elk decided to have a stand off with me and not let me proceed.  I ended up deciding to try again next time Im in the area after it charged me.  I lost my $1k iphone in the Virgin River while about 4.5 miles up the Narrows at Zion NP but it's breath takingly beautiful.   I would suggest entering from the East and prepare yourself once you exit the tunnel.  

Your route has me envious.   I ended up going solo and while I loved the sights it is hard to drive and see things plus sharing it with people is part of the fun.

• Admin Team

Zion is spectacular.

We did Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, and the Grand Canyon two years ago with the kids.  Along with a host of state parks and monuments.

If you were to poll my kids, they’d tell you Goblen Valley was their favorite. From my perspective, Capitol Reef National Park was totally underrated- and I’d love to have spent some more time there. 

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Zion is spectacular.

We did Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, and the Grand Canyon two years ago with the kids.  Along with a host of state parks and monuments.

If you were to poll my kids, they’d tell you Goblen Valley was their favorite. From my perspective, Capitol Reef National Park was totally underrated- and I’d love to have spent some more time there. 

I took the Jeep.  I had a permit for Canyonlands to do some of the back country and Elephant Hill trail... it started pouring when I was eating breakfast in Moab.  It had stopped and looked dry by the time I got out to Canyonlands an hour or so later but they said all 4x4 trails were closed for flash flooding.  I was disappoint.

Ill add Capitol Reef to my list.

I'd really like to move to Utah  or western Colorado.

Edited by Daniel

I was at the VA last Tuesday for my primary care physician visit. I was told they were at age 65 and up, and that it would probably be another two weeks until they open up to my age (60). I kind of wish that they were giving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as many "experts" seem to think that it's better for long-term effectiveness.

21 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I was at the VA last Tuesday for my primary care physician visit. I was told they were at age 65 and up, and that it would probably be another two weeks until they open up to my age (60). I kind of wish that they were giving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as many "experts" seem to think that it's better for long-term effectiveness.

My girl's doctor is making her hold off for the Johnson and Johnson. She has some auto immune stuff that concerns him with the first two. I have no idea how fast it's moving here in the sticks.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I'm just glad I can smell and taste again. The 1 month headache wasn't great either. I'm guessing I don’t need a shot now. 

yeah probably not for about 6 months.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to take one but in light of limited supply if I had a know postive case I'd probably just wait until they are more readily available.  

28 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

My girl's doctor is making her hold off for the Johnson and Johnson. She has some auto immune stuff that concerns him with the first two. I have no idea how fast it's moving here in the sticks.

Should be approved next week.  Then how fast distribution takes will be a crap shoot.  

• Like 2

Get my first shot tomorrow(Wed) at 1:00 PM, L/w, at the local Alvin York V A Hosp.  I am looking forward to getting it. The second shot is already set for 4 weeks. Getting the Moderna vaccine. 

Edited by pop pop

Got my first shot yesterday. No problems but slightly sore arm this morning. The V A had the gym floor loaded with 20 shot booths. When first arrived had to fill out paperwork then take a number, turn in the completed papers, then when your number was called you went to a shot booth and they asked several more questions. She then gave my shot, then I had to sit for 15 minutes for observation for side effects. After the 15 min was up I stood up and left. Took about 25 minutes in all. They were giving shots, continually, in all 20 booths. Lots of old soldiers were there taking the vaccinations. 

I go back in 4 weeks. They give you a shot record and a side effects paper to fill out and bring back. Tell you this vaccine is given under emergency approval. Guys we are the continuation of the fact gathering on a new, unapproved study. If you have any serious side effects to the vaccination, I have a number to report the side effects immediately. I am a willing participant. 

The Nurse told me the second shot comes with a few more discomforts. Asked about taking moteron of Ibuprofen, for the aches and pains, and she advised only Tylenol. Said side effects show the shot is immunizing your body to the fullest extent and you don't want to do anything to lessen that process. Don't know if That is fact, but what do I know? 

That's My Story.

Edited to add; Get the shots, guys! 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Daniel said:

Went to the Grand Canyon with the intent to hike down to the river and back but no shuttles meant I had to walk to the start of the trail head.  It was about 0430 and a large Elk decided to have a stand off with me and not let me proceed.  I ended up deciding to try again next time Im in the area after it charged me.  I lost my $1k iphone in the Virgin River while about 4.5 miles up the Narrows at Zion NP but it's breath takingly beautiful.   I would suggest entering from the East and prepare yourself once you exit the tunnel.  

Your route has me envious.   I ended up going solo and while I loved the sights it is hard to drive and see things plus sharing it with people is part of the fun.

Hiking down to the river and back up in one day is not for the faint if heart, especially if there’s any heat.  When I was there, there were signs everywhere warning against trying it.  I would do it if I were alone or with a fit hiking partner.  
The Virgin River in Zion was neat, but Angels Landing blew it away IMO.  Coolest 2.5 hour day hike in America.  And I agree—the tunnel exit from the east is something to see.  

Edited by deerslayer