Ask me if reloading pays off!!

It's always best to check several references as you guys are doing.

Back during the Newtown shortage I contacted Alliant and Hodgon and their tech reps were very helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out to them.

I have used whatever powder and primers were available, but check multiple references and the tech folks.

I especially used a burn rate chart when seeking "replacement" or substitute powders.

I loaded many thousands of 9mm rounds using Magnum primers (all that was then available) with no issues. I initially reduced the loads by 5% and chronographed and worked up from there. No problems whatsoever.

The only time I make sure I'm using Magnum primers is when I loading .357 using H-110 or 2400, but then I'm loading for higher velocity rounds.

I use a lot of Unique powder simply because it was the powder I started with several decades back.

Listing what powders you have available, when you have them available, might help with suggestions.

Burn rate chart link.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/08/get-latest-powder-burn-rate-chart-here/

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, Garufa said:

When did you buy the components and at what cost?

This is an excellent point.

I have what I have, but when it comes time to replace? What then?

I watched a newly released vid from the Federal CEO this morning. He actually addresses primers (something of particular interest to many of us). He referred to primers as being sold when they are a surplus item. He said all available primers for the foreseeable future (paraphrasing here) would be used in manufacturing loaded ammo.

So what will the market demand when they are again available?

I'm glad I can handload what I can handload based on the pricing of when I acquired the components, but I have no illusions the cost will be the same when they are once again readily available.

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 8:10 AM, PoofNoEyeBrows said:

I started off reloading because I'm the type that enjoys doing everything myself by hand. I've never really noticed a significant cost savings except for. 50 BMG which I have to say is substantial. 

Let me know what you need, chances are I might have some of your missing components/powder. I standardized a lot of my plinking recipes a couple years back and have been sitting on about 20 random powders that I know longer use.  Maybe I should just take inventory and post it all up I'm willing to give most of it up free of charge. 

PoofNoEyeBrows, I realize this post is almost 6 months old, but I have a Ad on GOC, looking for some .410 shotgun powder, that I just posted tonight.

I just knocked out 150 or two hundred 150 gr. wadcutters for 38 Special. I'll use these rounds for out weekly match. The bullets were made from range scrap. The cost per round is in the few cents cost. I don't have to run from Big Box to Big Box looking for 38 Special WC cartridges. Also, a current project is to load 9.3x57. Wonder how much those rounds would cost? How about the 45-90 0r 45-110. Those last two run $5.00 or so a round. You get into any heavy duty reloading and it pays to reload.

I needed a box of 260 Remington. Call a Big Box. Rounds were only $36.00. That's $1.80 each. The cost of components has skyrocketed. Ammo follows the cost of reloading components or vice versa . Might be worth a second thought on the wisdom of reloading.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:15 AM, TechAlG said:

Every .357 Mag load I have ever seen uses SP primers, not SPM.

In my first hand, been there & done that experience, standard CCI 500 small pistol primers failed to ignite the H110 powder of my .357 Mag load. First time, while tapping the stuck bullet out of the barrel/forcing cone juncture, I thought it had to be a fluke so I tried it again. Nope, not a fluke, as I tapped yet another stuck bullet out of the barrel. Lesson learned - if trying to ignite H110 (or W296; same thing), use a small pistol magnum primer (like a CCI 550).

• Like 2

I used to load a lot of .357 Magnum loads with H110, 2400, and IMR4227 with standard pistol primers but, never had a stuck bullet. Shot good but, when I bought a chrono I noticed velocities were all over the place. Magnum primers are more consistant with slower powders. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

My take on it that using a chronograph can be traumatic. When we are comparing cost on handloading one aspect has to be considered. That consideration is what do I want in the cartridges. Using low end bulk rounds is fine if that what you want.

Sometimes it's not just a matter of money. It's what I get for the money spent. When comparing the price of loading, for example, 300 Weatherby compare to store bought cartridges. I can easily beat the $100.00 dollars a box of twenty on 375 H7H.

I can load up rounds for my handguns comparable to those of the high end PD rounds. I'm getting ready to load some 257 Roberts with Barnes bullets. How long do you thing I'd have to wait at the Big Box for those rounds to show up? What about my 338 Federal rounds loaded with Swift bullets? It's not all about money.

Edited by Mowgli Terry
  • Like 2

You are oh so right Mowgli Terry, the money is part of it, but certainly not all of it. The fact that at any time you want to go target shooting, competing, hunting, all you have to do it take the time to load up what you need and not worry about does the LGS or Bass pro have what you need. The only thing you need to stock is components. I probably have enough target and hunting ammo that it will take my grandkids to get it all shot up, plus I still have components to load!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Speaking for myself, I started reloading in 1967 ( 30-06 ). Mostly money then, and maybe better rounds. Today, depends on what you're reloading.

Currently, I'm reloading 45/70 for my Henry lever rifle. When I first bought it, I bought a box of Federal Fusion 300 gr. HP. Supposed to be the cat's meow.

When I shot the target, it looked like I had shot buckshot at 50 yds. All over the paper. Finished the box for the brass & started reloading Hornady 300gr HP, over 40.5 grs IMR4198. 3 shots in basically the same widened hole at 25 yds.

A box of 45/70, if you can find it, runs from $2.00 to $4.00 a round depending on the load. I can easily beat that, but it's the accuracy I get.

Plus, I just enjoy doing it. Passes off time when the weather is bad. Keeps me off the streets for a while, LOL.

Everybody's needs differ. I haven't bought a box of ammo since.

I've got enough components now to last me a while, plus a bunch loaded up. I'm good for a looog time.

Edited by Grunt67
correction
  • Like 1

Been loading and casting for over 50 years.I'd be in the poor house if I didn't.

To date I, either am or have loaded, load 38sp, 357 mag, 44 spl, 44 mag,9 mm, 45 acp, 45 colt, 223, 22-250, 308, 30/06. If it's center fire I load it.

The cheapest thing I ever bought was a set of loading dies.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

Speaking for myself, I started reloading in 1967 ( 30-06 ). Mostly money then, and maybe better rounds. Today, depends on what you're reloading.

Currently, I'm reloading 45/70 for my Henry lever rifle. When I first bought it, I bought a box of Federal Fusion 300 gr. HP. Supposed to be the cat's meow.

When I shot the target, it looked like I had shot buckshot at 50 yds. All over the paper. Finished the box for the brass & started reloading Hornady 300gr HP, over 40.5 grs IMR4198. 3 shots in basically the same widened hole at 25 yds.

A box of 45/70, if you can find it, runs from $2.00 to $4.00 a box, depending on the load. I can easily beat that, but it's the accuracy I get.

Plus, I just enjoy doing it. Passes off time when the weather is bad. Keeps me off the streets for a while, LOL.

I've got enough components now to last me a while, plus a bunch loaded up. I'm good for a looog time.

You been loading 20 years longer than me. I was born in '67, a little to young then.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ray Z said:

Been loading and casting for over 50 years.I'd be in the poor house if I didn't.

To date I, either am or have loaded, load 38sp, 357 mag, 44 spl, 44 mag,9 mm, 45 acp, 45 colt, 223, 22-250, 308, 30/06. If it's center fire I load it.

The cheapest thing I ever bought was a set of loading dies.

You got me beat on different cartridges you load. I do .38 Sp., .357, 9mm, .223, .30 Carbine, .308, .30-06, 8mm Mauser.  

20 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

A box of 45/70, if you can find it, runs from $2.00 to $4.00 a box, depending on the load. I can easily beat that, but it's the accuracy I get.

Unless you are quoting 67' prices, or misplaced the period, these prices are way off.  Most ammo runs $30 plus a box, and before the run it still ran $20 plus.  Right now, I'd say reloading actually saves a lot of money, as in before it was more of it lets you shoot more for the same money.  I am in the process of moving my reloading equipment to a new room, and have come across a bunch of supplies and equipment I had forgotten about.  I could probably sell half the ammo I have (I won't) and still have a lifetimes worth of hunting and SD ammo.  Currently I reload 9mm, .40, .44, .45, 5.56, 300BLK, 277WLV, 270 Win, .308, 7.62x39, .303 Brit,  and 12 guage, I also have molds for just about all of those too, so yea, I'm good for quite awhile.  My only shortage, only 1k, is LPP, but I don't shoot much .45 or .44, so I am good with that many, though I would not hesitate to get more if they become available at decent prices.

Stopped by the Reloaders Bench. Mt. Juliet, today. picked up 4 ammo boxes for the 45/70. No primers,  did have quite a bit of powder. Didn't need any powder, did need 45/70 bullets, no luck there, as expected. Lot of empty shelves. They had one bag of Starline 45/70 brass, didn't need any, so I left it for someone else.

From time to time I read how factory ammo availability is a serious factor selecting a firearm. As a reloader that's right out of Cloudcuckoo Land. Also, there is a different spin on components once one starts bullet casting. 

The cost of brass and bullets can be a barrier. For example, for me the desire for a 416 Rigby cooled figuring start up cost. If I want a serious attack of sticker shock visit the ammo department of Sportsman's Warehouse. With some of these calibers I really do not care to run with the big dogs.

There are two different worlds of shooting. I don't think it's possible to make the economy point to those who use low end bulk ammo.

Edited by Mowgli Terry