Ask me if reloading pays off!!

FEDEX left me a surprise today. I had 200 pcs, Starline 45/70 brass on BO with Creedmoor Sports, back in May. Totally forgotten about it, showed up on my front porch today.

I've got enough now to last me thru age 146. Not likely my shoulder will hold up that long, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 10:40 AM, Omega said:

Unless you are quoting 67' prices, or misplaced the period, these prices are way off.聽 Most ammo runs $30 plus a box, and before the run it still ran $20 plus.聽 Right now, I'd say reloading actually saves a lot of money, as in before it was more of it lets you shoot more for the same money.聽 I am in the process of moving my reloading equipment to a new room, and have come across a bunch of supplies and equipment I had forgotten about.聽 I could probably sell half the ammo I have聽(I won't) and still have a lifetimes worth of hunting and SD ammo.聽 Currently I reload 9mm, .40, .44, .45, 5.56, 300BLK, 277WLV, 270 Win, .308, 7.62x39, .303 Brit,聽 and 12 guage, I also have molds for just about all of those too, so yea, I'm good for quite awhile.聽 My only shortage, only 1k, is LPP, but I don't shoot much .45 or .44, so I am good with that many, though I would not hesitate to get more if they become available at decent prices.

The condition聽 we are facing many change the discussion in the not too distant future. What I am seeing is the price of primers has doubled from reliable vendors. These price increases may adjust as the famine ends.聽 I did notice recently ammo has started to show up. Looking past the flashy ads one will find seriously high priced cartridges. Point being looks like we are going to be jerked around on prices.聽 I can find something else to do until this crazy stuff is over.

Anybody that says reloading is not economical need price some factory 300 Weatherby or 45 Colt cartridges. Add 375 H&H聽 onto the shopping list. I reload all three. I promise you it is economical. I like wise have molds for the handgun rounds. I am doing on and off experimenting with 30 caliber cast bullets. On and on.聽

Edited by Mowgli Terry
Old age and run down condition

Mogli has hit the center of my concern RE " reloading ":

"...Thecondition聽 we are facing many change the discussion in the not too distant future. What I am seeing is theprice of primers has doubled fromreliablevendors聽..."

Since our buddies at CCI have been gobbled up by the big cartridge guys, i have been of the opinion that primer production for reloading would go to " zero "... That is exactly what has happened.聽

I don't look for any " alturistic outreach " by the big ammo manufacturers to us reloading curmudgeons.聽

I hope i'm wrong; but i can't help but notice alturism n good will among corporations seems to be waining a bit.聽

CCI was the greatest friend the reloader ever had... The big cartridge companies, not so much...

In recent times, the Ruskies were better friends to the reloader with their Tula primers than the americans... SIGH...

sad leroy...

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, Grayfox54 said:

These posts always make me chuckle.聽 You may be saving on costs per round, but most of us end up shooting more. So we really don't save any money at all.聽馃槈

Of course these days with the Covid, shortages and high costs, most of us are saving quite a bit because we aren't shooting at all.聽馃檮

Oh... I beg to differ, I shoot right off the back deck.馃槷馃槈馃ぃ

RP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/29/2021 at 7:08 AM, Mowgli Terry said:

The condition聽 we are facing many change the discussion in the not too distant future. What I am seeing is the price of primers has doubled from reliable vendors. These price increases may adjust as the famine ends.聽 I did notice recently ammo has started to show up. Looking past the flashy ads one will find seriously high priced cartridges. Point being looks like we are going to be jerked around on prices.聽 I can find something else to do until this crazy stuff is over.

Anybody that says reloading is not economical need price some factory 300 Weatherby or 45 Colt cartridges. Add 375 H&H聽 onto the shopping list. I reload all three. I promise you it is economical. I like wise have molds for the handgun rounds. I am doing on and off experimenting with 30 caliber cast bullets. On and on.聽

And the 41 mag,, which was what got me started years ago.

RP

I been reloading since I was 18. Im now 69 and still reloading. I think the savings in reloading depends on which caliber you are loading for. At one time before all the shortages to me it wasnt worth it to load some of the pistol calibers as you could buy them cheaper.聽 Ive slowed down on reloading now on some of it but still reload my black powder rifles alot. It keeps me shooting and I really enjoy throwing those big balls at swingin steel

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, BigAl52 said:

I been reloading since I was 18. Im now 69 and still reloading. I think the savings in reloading depends on which caliber you are loading for. At one time before all the shortages to me it wasnt worth it to load some of the pistol calibers as you could buy them cheaper.聽 Ive slowed down on reloading now on some of it but still reload my black powder rifles alot. It keeps me shooting and I really enjoy throwing those big balls at swingin steel

Welcome to the forum old buddy. Glad you're here. Missed ya.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Sidinman said:

I let it slip, in a weak moment.馃ぃ聽Good to see you way over here Al.馃憤

聽I'll let it slide this time , I reckon.聽 Thanks. You two made my day.

RP

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 1

I'm of the mind that comparing reloading to buying low end cartridges is not valid. I've not met a reloader lately that has not been actively trying to make better ammo than he can buy. It's tough since factory cartridges have improved greatly over time.聽 However, the last store bought rifle cartridges I priced were nearly $2.00 a round.

I have absorbed the cost of my reloading gear years ago. I cast my own bullets for all handguns here. Those are my interest. I'd probably reload and cast bullets even if I could buy all ammo cheaper. People who cannot understand the benefits of reloading聽 are OK. They are not there.聽 I think comparisons of Berdan primed steel cased rounds with handloaded cartridges points to two different mindsets and shooting interest.

• Like 2

There still selling for 650.00 to 900.00 on Gunbraker. I know to there is alot of price gouging going on there also. But I agree with ammo quality. You can taylor a reload to your rifle. I did that with my Henry 41 mag.聽 It shoots those XTP bullets real well with some 2400 under them. Makes a guy just grunt seein it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
20 hours ago, Mowgli Terry said:

I'm of the mind that comparing reloading to buying low end cartridges is not valid. I've not met a reloader lately that has not been actively trying to make better ammo than he can buy. It's tough since factory cartridges have improved greatly over time.聽 However, the last store bought rifle cartridges I priced were nearly $2.00 a round.

I have absorbed the cost of my reloading gear years ago. I cast my own bullets for all handguns here. Those are my interest. I'd probably reload and cast bullets even if I could buy all ammo cheaper. People who cannot understand the benefits of reloading聽 are OK. They are not there.聽 I think comparisons of Berdan primed steel cased rounds with handloaded cartridges points to two different mindsets and shooting interest.

聽Case in point.

My father gave me a Mauser action rifle he built in 25-06. Factory Remington loads were all over the paper. My first attempt at a hand load now as this rifle stacking bullet after bullet into one slightly enlarging hole at 100 yards. These rounds are also about 10% the price of factory ammo鈥f you can find it.

• Like 2

I had just started shortly before all this mess hit so I don't have a stock if powder or primers so I am stuck. I have powder and bullets but primers as we know are scarce and very expensive. Since primers are the most time consuming component to make, the ammo manufacturers are going to get the bulk of what are produced. I only have dies for .45 acp and 30-30 so I haven't been loading. I have enough to load up about 1000 rounds of 45 but I only have a few LRP. 30-30 loaded ammo is near $2 per round so my Marlin has not been fired in two years. Very sad but I will sit on the 80 rounds I have and shoot my .300 BO for now.聽

my recently purchased .357 mag is in the same boat but .38/.357 is starting to become available again!

• Like 1
On 11/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, papa61 said:

I had just started shortly before all this mess hit so I don't have a stock if powder or primers so I am stuck. I have powder and bullets but primers as we know are scarce and very expensive. Since primers are the most time consuming component to make, the ammo manufacturers are going to get the bulk of what are produced. I only have dies for .45 acp and 30-30 so I haven't been loading. I have enough to load up about 1000 rounds of 45 but I only have a few LRP. 30-30 loaded ammo is near $2 per round so my Marlin has not been fired in two years. Very sad but I will sit on the 80 rounds I have and shoot my .300 BO for now.聽

my recently purchased .357 mag is in the same boat but .38/.357 is starting to become available again!

It's hard to believe .30-30's are 2 bucks a round. A guy at work has been seeing the same prices on .30-30 ammo. Whew.

7 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

It's hard to believe .30-30's are 2 bucks a round. A guy at work has been seeing the same prices on .30-30 ammo. Whew.

add in I have seen people asking $1 each and more for LRP and LPP. it will get better but we will never get back to pre 2019 prices.

• Like 1
On 11/1/2021 at 9:25 PM, Mowgli Terry said:

I do both. I tweak rifle loads to try and get the smallest groups possible.

As I am not a great pistol shot, o.k. Is good enough, so I load for volume. Mixed range brass and plated bullets are the order of the day.

I鈥檓 glad reloading offers this flexibility.

• Like 5

Do both: I load handgun ammo with the same focus as the rifle cartridges. One way to look at is it takes the same amount of time to duplicate low end rounds as make quality reloads.

These days we are loading using most anything we can.聽 Due to scarce components rifle loading is on the back burner.聽 People paying these jack-off prices聽 for components are encouraging these rip off artist.聽 i am remembering the big offenders.

I do cast my own bullets. That does take extra time that needs to be added to the entire process. I do spend time working on the accuracy of my handloads. If聽 not casting,聽 I'd go a different direction.聽 I'd go for good store bought cast bullets and the same make brass. It's just a different path.聽

Edited by Mowgli Terry

I started helping my uncle Wilbur reload in the 60's got my first Hand held Lee 20 gauge shotgun loader from him. I enjoy the reloading process if I have the materials. Didn't see Sleepy Joe coming聽 after the Obummer fiasco. Keeps me out of the saloons and spending money on women. I reload for my 2 sons and a friends rifles. Probably 6 different rifle calibers plus the 9mm, 38 and 45 acp.