Ask me if reloading pays off!!

I load 8 different rifles for myself and one for a close friend. Then I load 8 pistol calibers.聽

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought factory center fire ammo.

Oh, I remember it was about 2 yrs. ago, I was walking through the sporting goods department at ww and noticed they had Federal 150 gr in the blue box for $9.99 a box. I bought 10 boxes and still have 8.5 boxes sitting on the shelf.聽

RP聽

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Sidinman said:

I load 8 different rifles for myself and one for a close friend. Then I load 8 pistol calibers.聽

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought factory center fire ammo.

Oh, I remember it was about 2 yrs. ago, I was walking through the sporting goods department at ww and noticed they had Federal 150 gr in the blue box for $9.99 a box. I bought 10 boxes and still have 8.5 boxes sitting on the shelf.聽

RP聽

If that is 150gr 30-30 it has tripled in value. I had my wife pick up 3 boxes early last year at $15.99 a box. Last time I was forced to go to WW they had .22 WRM, 12 and 20 ga shotshells and nothing more.

• Like 1

I just finished loading fifty rounds of 44 Magnum. I have out the old 1970's vintage Super Blackhawk for a trip to the range early tomorrow morning. I may bring along my 44 Magnum Vaquero to verify zero etc,聽 Both a very good guns.聽 For factory rounds I got several hundred rifle and handgun rounds stashed away. I'd rather shoot my handloads.

The聽 bullets are cast here from older molds from an estate sales. Picking up these molds gives me a wide choice of bullets independent of whims of retailers and the like. On this trip zero and accuracy can be worked out with 125 rounds of 44 Magnum. I'll probably come back with聽 a few rounds.聽 I can make runs of 45ACP bullets to keep shooting friends going in our match if necessary.

I got two rifle projects on hold until jacketed bullets are back on the market.聽 I don't think politicians had as much to do with this famine as panic buying and money grubbing retailers. I don't plan to spend money with the offenders starting with聽 Midway.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, papa61 said:

If that is 150gr 30-30 it has tripled in value. I had my wife pick up 3 boxes early last year at $15.99 a box. Last time I was forced to go to WW they had .22 WRM, 12 and 20 ga shotshells and nothing more.

Yes, sorry guess I was typing to fast and forgot to add 30-30.馃槷馃槈

I saw somewhere may have been on here where someone was selling some and asking near $30 a box.

RP

22 minutes ago, Mowgli Terry said:

I just finished loading fifty rounds of 44 Magnum. I have out the old 1970's vintage Super Blackhawk for a trip to the range early tomorrow morning. I may bring along my 44 Magnum Vaquero to verify zero etc,聽 Both a very good guns.聽 For factory rounds I got several hundred rifle and handgun rounds stashed away. I'd rather shoot my handloads.

The聽 bullets are cast here from older molds from an estate sales. Picking up these molds gives me a wide choice of bullets independent of whims of retailers and the like. On this trip zero and accuracy can be worked out with 125 rounds of 44 Magnum. I'll probably come back with聽 a few rounds.聽 I can make runs of 45ACP bullets to keep shooting friends going in our match if necessary.

I got two rifle projects on hold until jacketed bullets are back on the market.聽 I don't think politicians had as much to do with this famine as panic buying and money grubbing retailers. I don't plan to spend money with the offenders starting with聽 Midway.

Terry, I have quite a bit of factory ammo that's been around here for quite sometime, but like you I prefer to shoot my handloads.

As most are more accurate anyway, then if something happens to me it will be easier for the better half to sell the factory stuff.

RP

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
8 hours ago, RussK said:

when I started just adding up the scales, presses, and materials just to get started

You can actually start out with pretty low expenses for the hardware, but finding primers right now is tough.聽

• Like 1
17 hours ago, RussK said:

I've seriously thought about getting into reloading .. but ... when I started just adding up the scales, presses, and materials just to get started .. my mind started spiraling ...

This is probably one of the most challenging times to get into handloading, unfortunately.

I've been handloading for more than 35 years and I just slowly accumulated the items I needed starting with a Lee single stage press. I loaded with it around 5 years before purchasing my Dillon 550. I've only just replaced the Lee (with another Lee) this past year... they eventually wear out.

Midway and Titan periodically still have sales (and free shipping), so picking up an item here and there spreads the initial investment pain out.

Components... well this is no doubt the most difficult time since I started to find components, especially primers. I last purchased primers in 2017. I see and read that folks are periodically finding primers but at significantly higher prices than times past. And they sell out fast... but at least they are periodically available.

If stored properly they last a very long time. I used some CCI primers within the past couple of years I purchased in the early '90's for example.

A couple of good loading manuals are a good place to get started.

I hope we'll see greater availability of all components within the next couple of years, but Lord only knows what the new normal price will be.

Good luck on your venture.

• Like 2