Springfield Range Officer Compact

res308

I don't know if anyone here has one of these, but I just acquired one from a friend of mine (looked interesting, grabbed it. You know how it is.) I haven't even had a chance to wring it out yet. I'll try to get to that in the next several days. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and what your impression is. I'm not sure yet about the officer sized frame with commander (ish) length slide. I might very well find myself trading it down the road for a full size frame. Other than that, it seems to be a very nice little gun. Seems well put together, and I hear they are accurate. I do really like the nice slim grips they put on them. And, it looks like someone had upgraded from the aggravating factory recoil spring assembly to a solid guide rod and flat spring. Not sure who made it, but it resembles the ones put out by Wilson and EGW. Still have to insert a pin or something into the guide rod hole to capture the spring. I did try disassembly by removing the slide and trying to remove the guide rod from the bottom. I've been able to get away with that before, but the recoil spring in this one is a bear, and I didn't feel like my wife taking a picture of me with the whole recoil assembly sticking up my nose before she took me away for surgery, so I just stuck with the pin method.

What do y'all think about these Compacts?

Edited by res308

I have the EMP Champion in .40S&W with that same guide rod and flat spring-it is Springfield's own rod-you can replace although with the shorter Wilson and then make you able to take spring and rod out without the pin.

Disclaimer(Keep away from nose)🤕

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, res308 said:

I don't know if anyone here has one of these, but I just acquired one from a friend of mine (looked interesting, grabbed it. You know how it is.) I haven't even had a chance to wring it out yet. I'll try to get to that in the next several days. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and what your impression is. I'm not sure yet about the officer sized frame with commander (ish) length slide. I might very well find myself trading it down the road for a full size frame. Other than that, it seems to be a very nice little gun. Seems well put together, and I hear they are accurate. I do really like the nice slim grips they put on them. And, it looks like someone had upgraded from the aggravating factory recoil spring assembly to a solid guide rod and flat spring. Not sure who made it, but it resembles the ones put out by Wilson and EGW. Still have to insert a pin or something into the guide rod hole to capture the spring. I did try disassembly by removing the slide and trying to remove the guide rod from the bottom. I've been able to get away with that before, but the recoil spring in this one is a bear, and I didn't feel like my wife taking a picture of me with the whole recoil assembly sticking up my nose before she took me away for surgery, so I just stuck with the pin method.

What do y'all think about these Compacts?

I purchased an SA Compact several years ago.  It's been accurate and reliable using any ammo I've fed it. THe factory recoil spring assy hasn't been a problem to me. The pistol has seen frequent range and carry time.

Thanks Patton. I had always seen the other kind before, including in all the video reviews and articles I’d seen, but then, it’s been a while since I’ve messed with 1911s. I thought all this time that someone had swapped it out. But the one you posted is exactly what I have. 

Have you been able to remove it from the slide without using the tool?