80% 10/22s anybody built one?

seez52

I considered buying one, but for various reasons ended up just buying a complete receiver.  Something that has peaked my interest a few days ago is a 3D printed 10/22 receiver that I saw in the video below.  The printer shouldn't cost a lot more than one 80% receiver. 

A friend built an 80% 10-22 and yes he has more in it than if he would have just bought a finished one. He still hasn't figured out how to make it shoot reliability without jamming. He tried a couple of things and last I talked to him it was just sitting for an inspiration, he things he can adjust the tension on the mag spring to make it work. Sounds like a grasp to me.

• Admin Team

I built a race dragon 10/22 from an 80% billet receiver.  It’s by far my favorite of several 10/22s I’ve had.

Quality of a billet receiver is better than the cast halves of the typical cast 10/22.  I’ve got a mill and a lathe, but I’ve built one of these with a friend on just a drill press.

That doesn’t mean you should build one. 

If you’re just looking for a 10/22 to bang around with - go with one off the shelf. They’ve got enough factory variants to fit about anyone’s desires.  

But, if you already know you’re going to change the stock, drop in a Kidd trigger and/or bolt, run a custom barrel, or some combination of those - now you could reasonably talk about doing an 80% build. 

• Admin Team

Of course I should add that there are lots of good quality billet receivers available on the open market.

Tactical Innovations, Kidd, FJ Feddersen, and Volquartsen all come to mind.

Heck, Razor (whose quality I can speak highly of) even sells a solid brass receiver.

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Of course I should add that there are lots of good quality billet receivers available on the open market.

Tactical Innovations, Kidd, FJ Feddersen, and Volquartsen all come to mind.

Heck, Razor (whose quality I can speak highly of) even sells a solid brass receiver.

Speaking of brass, I remember years ago when someone on RimfireCentral made their own receiver from a chunk of brass.  Beautiful rifle.  

14 hours ago, billmeek said:

I considered buying one, but for various reasons ended up just buying a complete receiver.  Something that has peaked my interest a few days ago is a 3D printed 10/22 receiver that I saw in the video below.  The printer shouldn't cost a lot more than one 80% receiver. 

So I've been working on this myself.  Getting the printer setup correctly is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT for these prints.  My first couple of receivers were out of spec to the point of not being usable at all.   Once I got my printer issues ironed out, I printed a mostly beautiful receiver.  I assembled the whole thing and took it to work to show a coworker.  It fell and hit the ground in the perfect way that it broke the receiver.   I think I can fix it with some two part epoxy but I haven't given it a go yet.  I also printed another receiver just in case.  Maybe I can get that one finished this weekend so I can test fire it.  If I do, I'll throw up a video here.  

I've also been working on printing a Glock lower. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Speaking of brass, I remember years ago when someone on RimfireCentral made their own receiver from a chunk of brass.  Beautiful rifle.  

Maybe I can get that one finished this weekend so I can test fire it.  If I do, I'll throw up a video here.  

It's a long thread, but the brass 10/22 by Teddy Bear Rat is at:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483339

It's the best looking 10/22 I've ever seen.

Looking forward to any info you share on the 3D printed receivers.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

So I've been working on this myself.  Getting the printer setup correctly is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT for these prints.  My first couple of receivers were out of spec to the point of not being usable at all.   Once I got my printer issues ironed out, I printed a mostly beautiful receiver.  I assembled the whole thing and took it to work to show a coworker.  It fell and hit the ground in the perfect way that it broke the receiver.   I think I can fix it with some two part epoxy but I haven't given it a go yet.  I also printed another receiver just in case.  Maybe I can get that one finished this weekend so I can test fire it.  If I do, I'll throw up a video here.  

I am really interested in this. Curious, if it broke so easily by dropping how do you think it will hold up long term?

38 minutes ago, seez52 said:

I am really interested in this. Curious, if it broke so easily by dropping how do you think it will hold up long term?

I think it would hold up to firing just fine.  And I also think that if I had it in a stock with a barrel band, it would have likely been just fine as well.   The issue was that the front sight hit the ground.  The stock was still in the car.   So it was pushing down on the front of the barrel and up on the back at the receiver.   Well, here, watch this and ignore my voice, I was sick. Like I said, I think I can epoxy this back together and make it work.   And I think that I might try and reinforce that corner of the receiver with epoxy on my future prints before I do final assembly.   

• Admin Team
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I spent a bunch of time on that thread a few years back. I love seeing what a dedicated hobbyist can do. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I think it would hold up to firing just fine.  And I also think that if I had it in a stock with a barrel band, it would have likely been just fine as well.   The issue was that the front sight hit the ground.  The stock was still in the car.   So it was pushing down on the front of the barrel and up on the back at the receiver.   Well, here, watch this and ignore my voice, I was sick. Like I said, I think I can epoxy this back together and make it work.   And I think that I might try and reinforce that corner of the receiver with epoxy on my future prints before I do final assembly.   

Is the print file out there or did you whip one up on your own?