Recreational Off-roading

broox

So maybe it is my mid life crisis or maybe it is because I am a stay at home dad with three kids doing virtual school all day but I am really daydreaming a lot about getting into off roading. I want to buy a first gen 4runner, the kind you can take the top off of. There is one on Craigslist and two on Facebook marketplace in middle TN. I read online that there is a place an hour south of Nashville to go. Like an off road park.

Where does on get started in this?  Thanks.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2021 at 7:09 PM, broox said:

I read online that there is a place an hour south of Nashville to go. Like an off road park.

You may be thinking of Adventure Off-Road Park. It's about 90 minutes south of Nashville. I'm not as familiar with middle TN but I'm sure there are other places to off-road. @Lumber_Jack might have some ideas. 

I want to buy a first gen 4runner, the kind you can take the top off of.

Those are awesome but they are getting really expensive if they are in decent shape and they are getting harder to find. If you got one in rough shape it might be a great dedicated wheeling rig. My truck is set up for moderate off-roading but it's also in great shape and it's my daily driver so I try to avoid trails that are going to destroy it.  Having owned a 91 4Runner I would strongly encourage you to avoid one with the 3.0L V6.  Here is one for sale in Charleston TN.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/165023738456652/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Where does on get started in this?

It sounds like you are already doing it. The first step is research and picking a vehicle platform you want to roll with.  Just know that you'll need to be decent with a wrench in order to do much of the work needed. Otherwise you'll invest a lot of money in a rig that may not be worth much. 

Let me know if you have more questions and I'm happy to help. 

• Like 1

So maybe it is my mid life crisis or maybe it is because I am a stay at home dad with three kids doing virtual school all day but I am really daydreaming a lot about getting into off roading. I want to buy a first gen 4runner, the kind you can take the top off of. There is one on Craigslist and two on Facebook marketplace in middle TN. I read online that there is a place an hour south of Nashville to go. Like an off road park.

Where does on get started in this?  Thanks.

Wooly's Off-road is south of Nashville.  Its basically a small private owned property.  Its fun but not something I would do often.  its pretty mild but can be sketchy in a few spots so be careful or go with someone knowledgeable the first time.  

Now for 1stGen 4runners we're opening a whole topic I can talk for days about.  Are you familiar with the variants of years, what to look for and current market? Feel free to share any listings and I can give you my opinion if that's something you would like

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, peejman said:

The Toyota guys don't seem to break stuff with the same level of enthusiasm and wanton disregard as the jeep guys. You gotta raise your game. 

This is true. I'd actually like to buy an old Cherokee that I could abuse without feeling so bad. 

50 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Now for 1stGen 4runners we're opening a whole topic I can talk for days about.  Are you familiar with the variants of years, what to look for and current market? Feel free to share any listings and I can give you my opinion if that's something you would like

I am fairly ignorant on this topic. I have joined the t4r forum and am reading,reading,reading. I'm not really an impulse buyer so I will research more but thank you for your offer! 

One of the first obstacles in my search for a first gen 4runner that  I'm running in to is I want one with the rear seat. Most of the beaters I have seen lack the rear seat. Google has not been real helpful in finding aftermarket rear seats(if available) or whether other gen seats work.

Even the Jeep Cherokees have gotten expensive and hard to find. 
I hope you are mechanically inclined and have a place to work on whatever you get. And money lots of money.

I watch Matt’s off-road recovery on YouTube,makes me want a Cherokee a little.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, broox said:

Google has not been real helpful in finding aftermarket rear seats(if available) or whether other gen seats work.

I would say anything is possible. You just have to be willing to make it work. Drilling into the floor of your rig might be required. That one you linked has the 3.sloooow. 

This was also has the same motor but come with a back seat. If the map on there is correct he lives very close to me. I'd be happy to go take a look at it for you. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/347580943291598/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

• Like 1

Another off-road park you might want to check out is Turkey Bay OHV park up in the Land Between the Lakes area.   I used to ride dirt bikes there back in my younger years.     There are a variety of trail types from single track to vehicle size main trails.    I think they have about 2,500 acres.   

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/seendo/trails/turkey-bay/

7 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Why else buy a truck with those capabilities?  🙂

Well, that's a big can o worms but I would ask the large % of people that never even engage the 4x4 on their high end vehicles. There is a reason the jokes about being mall rated and pavement princesses exist. If I had a Raptor like you I would certainly take it wheeling but I'm not going to beat the crap out of it. Brooks seems to be looking for a true trail rig.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, broox said:

@Lumber_Jack

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/franklin-1988-toyota-runner/7260084213.html

If this one had a rear seat I would be really tempted. This might be worse than buying a boat when it comes to just pouring money into something but I'm kind of handy and will attempt almost any repair as long as there is a YouTube video about it.

I'd look pretty hard for one with a 22RE vs the 3.0.  Reliability is night and day.  I use Facebook marketplace and look all over the south.  You can find one with all the seats ready to go if you just be a bit patient.  

Also be careful with a beater 1stGen, the rust you encounter might be way more than you bargain for

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Administrator
26 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Well, that's a big can o worms but I would ask the large % of people that never even engage the 4x4 on their high end vehicles. There is a reason the jokes about being mall rated and pavement princesses exist. If I had a Raptor like you I would certainly take it wheeling but I'm not going to beat the crap out of it. Brooks seems to be looking for a true trail rig. 

I sadly parted ways with my Raptor back in 2016 when they were in between the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen production.  Believe it or not, I basically made money on that deal.  Someone offered me $5K less than I paid for it brand new, and they got a truck that had about 40,000 miles on it.

I wish I'd kept it, though.

I paid $46K for my current '19 model. I put $10K into it already and waiting to get a lift kit, new wheels and tires. I turned it into a Raptor for a lot less than a genuine one. Raptors aint cheap these days...Few more toys.... I'm not the only one who rips things apart when they get them. Try going on the various truck forums and check out their bad boys.... 

sktopshot.jpg

Edited by BHunted
  • Love 1