Recreational Off-roading

broox

I used to wheel a lot before my daughter was born. This was back when Tellico OHV was still open and Windrock was just mostly trails. My 40 has seen it’s fair share of abuse and breakage. You learn to wrench in the dirt pretty quickly when you were wheeling at Tellico. 

Summertown was another place to go. Not sure if it is still open or not. 

I think Windrock has some a good extreme trails now. Along with Jellico and others. 

52 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Well, that's a big can o worms but I would ask the large % of people that never even engage the 4x4 on their high end vehicles. There is a reason the jokes about being mall rated and pavement princesses exist. If I had a Raptor like you I would certainly take it wheeling but I'm not going to beat the crap out of it. Brooks seems to be looking for a true trail rig.  

A"true trail rig" might be a stretch as to exactly what I'm looking for. My wife and I are thrifty. This would be a toy. New truck prices are absurd, in my opinion. I have three kids. I want something fun I can take the top off in the summer. Maybe a jeep would scratch this itch. I just like the size of the 4runner. 

Thanks for all the advice

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

Why else buy a truck with those capabilities?  🙂

exactly!!! same as the rich guys that buy hemi cudas and shelby mustangs that only get driven on and off the trailer.

I'm not an off road guy but give me one of those trackhawks and I'll beat the crap out of it. Dodge R/T 10? yep, I'd beat on it. that's what these things are made for. I shoot all of my guns too. 

3 hours ago, broox said:

A"true trail rig" might be a stretch as to exactly what I'm looking for. My wife and I are thrifty. This would be a toy. New truck prices are absurd, in my opinion. I have three kids. I want something fun I can take the top off in the summer. Maybe a jeep would scratch this itch. I just like the size of the 4runner. 

Thanks for all the advice

To many variables: Wife, thrifty, toy, kids, fun, top off.

Lets just keep it simple!!

t_88ce68f70f8fcd78_large_102_zpsx9nzwwjd (1)

• Haha 2

I'll throw in my $.02. I started out with a 88 4Runner and ran it for a long time. Go with the 22RE as they are easy to work on and bulletproof, with the right gearing they go anywhere. That said, after kids we outgrew it and it was sold. Found a great deal on a 80 series Land Cruiser with factory lockers and haven't looked back. Plenty of room and still goes anywhere. If you look around they can be had for a decent price. 

Edited by 10Kilr
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, broox said:

@Lumber_Jack

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/franklin-1988-toyota-runner/7260084213.html

If this one had a rear seat I would be really tempted. This might be worse than buying a boat when it comes to just pouring money into something but I'm kind of handy and will attempt almost any repair as long as there is a YouTube video about it.

My FiL keeps his boat at our place and spends the summers working on it.   My wife mentioned him spending a lot of money on it plus our son is taking flying lessons and somehow thought we can afford a plane. 

These two things were being discussed at the same time between my wife and me.   I mentioned The 3 F's rule. She said "the 3 Fs?  What are they?"   So I said "If it Flys, Floats or F---s, it's cheaper to rent it."   She was not amused but at the same time amused.

Not an off-roader, more off pavement.

If you must have open air, not a good choice, but I had a '99 Pathfinder, 3.0L V6, 5 speed that was reliable.

In 4W-L and the 5 speed, my perception was, "slightly bigger tires and a little lift, this would be pretty capable."

Price points for what you're looking for are high, especially for rust free.

Mechanically, it's a used vehicle, so it's a crap shoot...

Figure what you want to spend on the vehicle and search.

Best time to buy is when you don't need it.

Set aside another $1000+ for get ready. I would be prepared to change all fluids, questionable suspension parts and disclosed areas of attention assuming a reasonably honest seller.

Set aside another $1000 for accessories for your part of the buildout

1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I see what you mean

sbt 060

Anything can be a jeep if your brave enough.

Having driven an FJ40 since I was 17 (over 30 years) I will have to say I think Toyota screwed the pooch with the FJCruiser. They had the opportunity to really put a sweet truck out there to compete with the Jeep JK Rubicon and they didn’t.  

The FJC is capable off road (I drove one with the Toyota Trails Team when they came to Tellico for GSMTR in 2007.  But it could have been sooooo much better. 

Ford did it right with how they reintroduced the Bronco  

1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

Having driven an FJ40 since I was 17 (over 30 years) I will have to say I think Toyota screwed the pooch with the FJCruiser. They had the opportunity to really put a sweet truck out there to compete with the Jeep JK Rubicon and they didn’t.  

The FJC is capable off road (I drove one with the Toyota Trails Team when they came to Tellico for GSMTR in 2007.  But it could have been sooooo much better. 

Ford did it right with how they reintroduced the Bronco  

Having not driven either (FJC, JKR), I'll bet neither isn't very good off road without some mod's (lift, tires, etc).

I'm pulling for the full size Bronco to, the Bronco Sport is a disappointment. 

On 1/29/2021 at 2:55 PM, Snaveba said:

A9304C7B-CC65-40B8-BB0E-5B521EADDE1B.thumb.jpeg.a016481db47dcbb7d2bee3a3a852ab05.jpeg

I remember in HS at a FB game we were playing the rich side of town a kid from that HS was driving FJ40 (most likely daddy's) as it was coming through the parking lot first thing I noticed it had a blower sticking out of the hood, sounded bad ass, exhaust exited before the rear wheels as it passed I noticed wheelie bars, I'm saying wtf, dude stepped on it front wheels were like 3' in the air...everyone went nuts when he did it...