Sourcing News

A.J. Holst

My dad is brilliant physicist who has turned liberal.

I occasionally remind him he is ignorant as his spouse only watches CNN.

"Pop, if you get your information from only one source, that is ignorance. Is that the proper application of the modern scientific method?"

For me, I get a little from TV, my wife watches a little GMA / Hoda / Jenna while drinking her coffee in the morning.

Other places I visit most days TGO, The Truth About Guns, Ammoland, The Firearm Blog,  Gateway Pundit, PJ Media, Twitchy, Yahoo / Google News, AP, NPR and whatever flows from the radio.

I sort through and try to eliminate the rhetoric and adjectives as I read.

"The National Desk" has been on a couple of weeks now and it seems to be balanced and just reports the news not give analysis and opinion about the news, hope it stays that way. Locally it is on a Fox station for 2 hours in the morning but the second hour is pretty much a repeat of the first so I switch over to the Today Show if I'm still nursing my coffee, to see the left leaning side while I read One America News on the computer to see the right side. I recommended it to some friends up North and it is on the CW iup there for 3 hours in the morning. It is from Sinclair Broadcasting Group. 

• Like 1

Now I ask, What good does it do to even watch the news? Most of it is reported with a slight tilt.  Do you have thoughts of doing something about it? 

I watch very little news as of late. Consider it a waste of time for me. Just my HO. 

• Like 4

Great topic! Hope we can continue the discussion apolitically?

One of the greatest threats our nation faces right now is the bias in the media, and the stupidity of the average person.

Its not just the "news"  its the entire suite of programming... and thats exactly what its designed to do, IMHO.

I have found it exceedingly difficult to find un-biased news. I currently spend time on as many places on the web I can find, and try to sift through it all to find the actual truth. Its not easy, but comes with practice. The old saw from Soviet days is particularly useful... if you're not allowed to talk about it, you know thats the truth. If they deny its very existence, its totally real. If they over-react and declare something anathema, its what they fear.

Orwell and Huxley will be banned soon, but should be required reading to participate in this conversation. Make no bones about it, thats whats coming.

God help us all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

One of the greatest threats our nation faces right now is the bias in the media, and the stupidity of the average person.

Maybe. I'd wager social media and the two party system will be our downfall. Everyone who is sure their "team" is right. It won't be just one party that does us in.

This website is as fair as anything I've seen.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/

• Like 1

@ Eric88 - Your concern is well founded.  In his book "Propaganda" Jacques Ellul points out that the problem of biased information cannot be solved by the introduction of a competing propaganda:  

"[T]he existence of two contradictory propagandas is no solution at all, as it in no way leads to a 'democratic' situation: the individual is not independent in the presence of two combatants between whom he must choose."

Edited by Wheelgunner