Mosin Nagant (wow the prices)

Bdog2134

Hi all,

I'm new to owning guns more or less, but I use to sell them at work (walmart) before they took them out. I've been searching for a mosin nagant, and I went to the gun show at the expo center, in which I couldn't find anything decent ($600+). Anybody got anything? Thanks for any help.

Mosins are out there, but they're not the fabled $100 rifle anymore.  The flood of imports ended several years ago, dealers and distributors have sold through their stocks and all that are available now are on the secondary market.  If you've followed older milsurp rifle sales for any time, you'll know that once the primary sources dry up there's a gradual increase in prices over time, as the huge supply dwindles away.  We've seen this happens with German and other Mousers, Enfields, 1903's and Garands, etc.  It's a normal progression and has been going on for years.  With the current craze on firearms in general going on, this process has been hastened somewhat for Mosins, but it was inevitable that they would become more scarce and higher-priced on the open market.  Of course, you'll still find plenty of people who will blab on and on about how they remember when there were crates of these available at $29 and such, but none of that is relevant to today ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Bdog2134 said:

I dont expect to spend 100$, honestly 400-500 would be my area.

That will get you an 91/30 or some carbines, with some searching.  You're probably going to have to move beyond gun shows and local stores though.  Online opens up a world of possibilities ...

BTW, ammo is tough to find now as well.

Mosins were oddly interesting at $100 a pop, but at $400-500, they just aren't that great a rifle. I'd suggest waiting until the insanity subsides or buying something much nicer for the same money.

A rifle built on a magnum Mauser 98 action just sold in the classifieds here. It was listed at $450, and would be a far superior rifle in every aspect to the best Mosin ever produced.

Edited by gregintenn

Damn, sorry. Just sold my 98K and M44 to my nephew in Ohio.  I remember when SKS's were $99 wrapped in cosmoline. Bought two. Sold one a couple years ago for $500! Yikes.  Kept the other one, but it's converted now with a Choate synthetic stock and some other basic work.